Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2011, 08:59 AM

332 posts, read 818,750 times

Advertisements

Coming to Arizona in a month and after doing some research and viewing homes online.... what are the pro's and con's of living in the foothills vs. sam hughes area? Job will be at U of A.

Last edited by danielle_pal; 12-09-2011 at 09:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 09:12 AM

4,235 posts, read 13,996,004 times
they're very different from each other....

foothills is a very large area (many square miles) on the north side of the urban area with homes ranging from studio apartments to $10M+ "mansions"....it's traditionally known as the "nice" area of town...good views in parts....will have to drive for everything...

Sam Hughes is also well-known as a very nice spot, but is only one square mile immediately east of the UA campus - well in the center of town...small lots, historic area first developed in the early 1920s, very "hometown" feeling, lots of profs and students live there...can bike or walk to campus and nearby stores....

I certainly recommend Sam Hughes if you're OK with smaller lots and older homes....

Old 12-09-2011, 09:29 AM

1,024 posts, read 2,733,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
they're very different from each other....

foothills is a very large area (many square miles) on the north side of the urban area with homes ranging from studio apartments to $10M+ "mansions"....it's traditionally known as the "nice" area of town...good views in parts....will have to drive for everything...

Sam Hughes is also well-known as a very nice spot, but is only one square mile immediately east of the UA campus - well in the center of town...small lots, historic area first developed in the early 1920s, very "hometown" feeling, lots of profs and students live there...can bike or walk to campus and nearby stores....

I certainly recommend Sam Hughes if you're OK with smaller lots and older homes....

Agreed, both very nice but so very different. Would be a personal choice of lifestyle that works best for OP.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:37 AM

More specifically, what home is a better investment? how are the schools? is the commute really that bad? crime? Where is the nearest Target ?

Old 12-09-2011, 10:27 AM

1,024 posts, read 2,733,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielle_pal View Post
More specifically, what home is a better investment? how are the schools? is the commute really that bad? crime? Where is the nearest Target ?
From an investment stadnpoint both areas are a highly desirable location in the Tucson Metro area. But vastly different. As AZDR mentioned , Sam Hughes is roughly 1 square mile and is right across the street from the campus, so commute time is minimal. The Foothills is roughly 46 sq miles. Commute time to UofA could vary from 20 minutes to 45 minutes depening on where in the Foothills you live. Shopping wise, Sam Hughes has retail establishments all around it on all the major streets running north and south and east and west. Probaly about 4 miles or so to the closest Target just east of Broadway/Swan. The Foothills shopping, once again depending on where you live in the Foothills, if you are on the southern end down around River Rd there is plenty of shopping and restaurants close by. If you are up around the northern end around Sklyline Drive most of the retail is at Campbel and Skyline which is high end shopping and restaurants. Will be a bit of a drive to Targets etc. from that area of the Foothills.

School wise, people that live in the Foothills consider their district, (Catalina Foothills School District), to be one of the best. Sam Hughes will be part of Tunson Unified School District. Here are a couple links where you can check on all the different schools in the Tucson area.
Arizona Department of Education and Great Schools.org

Residential resale: single family homes, right now there are 21 homes for sale in the Sam Hughes neighborhood ranging in price from 160K to 750K. The Foothills there are 210 homes on the market ranging in price from 160K to 5.2 Million. As mentioned both areas very desirable but VERY different.
Visit them both when you are here!

Old 12-09-2011, 02:38 PM

mmm... I should be on that Urban Vs. Suburban TV show. Tough call. I am interested in The International, Basis and Science Academy schools at this point but I really
don't know.

Last edited by danielle_pal; 12-09-2011 at 02:48 PM..

Old 12-09-2011, 07:33 PM

484 posts, read 966,434 times
I worked at BASIS, it is one of the most rigorous schools in the nation. If you want academics and a culture of academia, this is the place. Now, if you want big sports teams and lots of extra curricular activities, look elsewhere.
Also, there is a closer Target at the El Con Mall: Broadway just east of Alvernon.

Sam Hughes: you can walk to get groceries, attend a lecture, swim at a community pool, and eat out.

Foothills: beautiful view of the city/sunsets, short drive/walk to canyon trails, quieter in general.

Old 12-10-2011, 01:24 PM

17,618 posts, read 13,433,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielle_pal View Post
mmm... I should be on that Urban Vs. Suburban TV show. Tough call. I am interested in The International, Basis and Science Academy schools at this point but I really
don't know.
Sam Hughes certainly doesn't feel urban. Much more like a small college town neighborhood. There are a few pockets of nicer neighborhoods in central Tucson that seem like that. Not near enough but they are there.

The foothills seems VERY suburban although I don't think there is any residental desert area in the world that has the beauty of the foothills of the mountains around Tucson. The abundance of flaura and fauna just can't be seen anywhere else.

You can't go wrong either way.

Also, the areas just east of El Con Mall and north of Reid Park are really nice as well. And there is a neighborhood just east of the UA medical center that is pretty nice.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:46 AM

7 posts, read 15,964 times
Can I follow up a question? If I want my kids go to BASIS, is it hard? How to make sure they will get in? If it is really difficult to get into those schools (BASIS, university high), i would prefer to live in Foothills.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:19 PM

135 posts, read 340,502 times
Basis is moving to the Catalina Foothills and will open its new school in the fall at Craycroft and River. Just fyi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: