Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 04:03 AM

2 posts, read 7,738 times

Advertisements

We may be moving to Tuscon and I need information from people that live there. How do you really like it? I hear it gets in the 100's degree wize. Is it excruciatingly hot in the summer or do you go from AC to AC and go outdoors in the mornings and evening? I am from NJ originally and moved to the Pacific northwest 11 years go. I love the cool summers but hate the grey and rain for 4 months here in the winter. I am a master gardener. Must I leave my hundreds of flowers behind?
I would love a nice home with a view and some privacy but am concerned about "critters". Any feed back would be really helpful. Coming for a visit in a few weeks. Any gardeners advice, contact for garden clubs etc would be helpful too .thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 07:21 AM

29 posts, read 67,863 times
The summers can be brutal, but less so than in cities with more humidity. The popular phrase is "but it's a dry heat" - which hardly seems to matter when it's 108, but it really does help and it makes for nicer mornings and evenings. Basically you've got it right, you go from air conditioned place to air conditioned place and do your outdoorsy stuff early in the AM (the evenings won't help you as much). And you'll get your cool summers, but you'll get them in the early spring, late fall, etc..

There are a lot of gardeners in the area, but you may have to change what you grow to something more suited to the climate. I don't know much about that except to say that people do have gardens. Be aware of your water usage, though, if you move to the middle of the desert.

The "critters" issue really depends on where you live. Most parts of 'town' you'll be fine, but if there are desert areas nearby you'll see some critters around. Leave them alone and they'll leave you alone, for the most part. There's plenty of advice out there on how to deal with whatever comes your way, but in the 24 years I lived there it was never anything more than a very minor problem, and I think that's the normal case amongst Tucsonans.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:29 AM

191 posts, read 789,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtnj0618 View Post
We may be moving to Tuscon and I need information from people that live there. How do you really like it? I hear it gets in the 100's degree wize. Is it excruciatingly hot in the summer or do you go from AC to AC and go outdoors in the mornings and evening? I am from NJ originally and moved to the Pacific northwest 11 years go. I love the cool summers but hate the grey and rain for 4 months here in the winter. I am a master gardener. Must I leave my hundreds of flowers behind?
I would love a nice home with a view and some privacy but am concerned about "critters". Any feed back would be really helpful. Coming for a visit in a few weeks. Any gardeners advice, contact for garden clubs etc would be helpful too .thanks.
I can help you with this one. Having moved from Tucson (20+ years) to Portland, Oregon (6 months) and back. My choice is Tucson over Portland because of one major reason - Mother Nature. I almost went suicidal living in Portland due to the constant heavy rain (sometimes, I couldn't see through my car's windshield due to extremely heavy rain in the mornings!).

Rent and mortgage is cheaper than Portland. The extreme three figured summer heat can be offset by A/C , Coolers and the monsoon season (rainy season). Portland has a nice downtown but Tucson's downtown is improving by the month. Portland has a very nice transportation system. Tucson's transportation system is horrible (it's like Portland with no crosstown freeway and only a 3 mile soon to be built light rail system)...but Tucson is pretty much empty during summer due to UofAZ student's away. Tucson's employment picture isn't that good so make sure you have decent paying job in Tucson before moving to the old Pueblo otherwise don't be picky...

Tucson is pretty much close to Portland's progressive liberal hippy culture (it's moderate Republican also).

Overall, Tucson is my choice. Can't beat Mother Nature's influence. I'd rather feel the heat of the Sun than getting wet from the dark clouds. Today it's a sunny 42 degrees low with 75 degrees high. I enjoy walking and biking out early in the morning during summers and enjoy the nice reddish-orange martian like sunrise (and sunset). So, if you move here, Welcome to the Old Pueblo!!

...also, hate to brag but Tucson is a real biking town with more bike paths being added. I just laugh when Portland calls itself a biking town when it rains all the time. And if you miss pine trees, about half hours drive is Mt. Lemon. Vegas, Mexico, Los Angeles and San Diego are within a day's drive also. Go to Phoenix (1-2hrs drive) for bigger entertainment venues. However, I did enjoy the Perrier tasting Portland tap water and missed the super cheap seafood (unlike Tucson). Tucson also has a growing food truck industry but not as big as Portland's...yet.

I hate gardening but this might help you, http://www.desertmuseum.org/

Last edited by acatalanb; 01-04-2012 at 07:53 AM..

Old 01-04-2012, 08:53 AM

1,024 posts, read 2,747,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acatalanb View Post
I can help you with this one. Having moved from Tucson (20+ years) to Portland, Oregon (6 months) and back. My choice is Tucson over Portland because of one major reason - Mother Nature. I almost went suicidal living in Portland due to the constant heavy rain (sometimes, I couldn't see through my car's windshield due to extremely heavy rain in the mornings!).

Rent and mortgage is cheaper than Portland. The extreme three figured summer heat can be offset by A/C , Coolers and the monsoon season (rainy season). Portland has a nice downtown but Tucson's downtown is improving by the month. Portland has a very nice transportation system. Tucson's transportation system is horrible (it's like Portland with no crosstown freeway and only a 3 mile soon to be built light rail system)...but Tucson is pretty much empty during summer due to UofAZ student's away. Tucson's employment picture isn't that good so make sure you have decent paying job in Tucson before moving to the old Pueblo otherwise don't be picky...

Tucson is pretty much close to Portland's progressive liberal hippy culture (it's moderate Republican also).

Overall, Tucson is my choice. Can't beat Mother Nature's influence. I'd rather feel the heat of the Sun than getting wet from the dark clouds. Today it's a sunny 42 degrees low with 75 degrees high. I enjoy walking and biking out early in the morning during summers and enjoy the nice reddish-orange martian like sunrise (and sunset). So, if you move here, Welcome to the Old Pueblo!!

...also, hate to brag but Tucson is a real biking town with more bike paths being added. I just laugh when Portland calls itself a biking town when it rains all the time. And if you miss pine trees, about half hours drive is Mt. Lemon. Vegas, Mexico, Los Angeles and San Diego are within a day's drive also. Go to Phoenix (1-2hrs drive) for bigger entertainment venues. However, I did enjoy the Perrier tasting Portland tap water and missed the super cheap seafood (unlike Tucson). Tucson also has a growing food truck industry but not as big as Portland's...yet.

I hate gardening but this might help you, Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum
Great information on comparing the two areas, I just had my youngest daughter move to Portland after living in AZ all her life. Will see how long she last!

Here are a couple more gardening links you may find helpful.
Tucson Botanical Gardens
Pima County Master Gardener Program

I know Portland is known as "The City of Roses" If that is of interest to you, then This link might be of use, Rose Society of Tucson. You can grow them here, but it is different! Been a fairly mild winter here so far and I was still getting some new blooms on Christmas day!

Old 01-04-2012, 06:57 PM

135 posts, read 342,043 times
Even if you didn't move to Tucson, how would you move "hundreds of flowers?" Just curious. You'll find gardening here to be a bit of a challenge because of the heat and lack of humidity, but you will be able to grow veggies almost year round. For landscaping, you would be wise to stick with mostly native plants and forget grass. The botanical garden, mentioned above, holds classes for beginners and people who are new to the desert. I don't bother with flowers - those native plants will flower beautifully on their own.

Also, learn from those who've gone before you. Here are links to two very good groups in Tucson:

Tucson Organic Gardeners

Community Gardens of Tucson

Good luck!

Old 01-04-2012, 07:48 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,160,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtnj0618 View Post
I am a master gardener. Must I leave my hundreds of flowers behind?
They have master gardeners here, as well. However, the flowers that thrived in the PNW will not enjoy Tucson. Aside from roses. No more heliotrope, clematis, hostas, most penstemons, etc. But there are many beautiful plants and flowers that do love the desert southwest. And learning about them, about native plants, and even xeriscaping is fascinating. If you have a gardener's soul, you can find joy here, as well. But it's very different!

Old 01-07-2012, 01:42 AM

2 posts, read 7,738 times
Thank you all for your very helpful information. My husband and I really appreciate the feedback. I am anticipating a plant sale to the garden clubs locally and depending on how the move may turn out, take a few roses , hardy things. We are looking forward to our visit. God bless~

Old 01-11-2012, 03:09 PM

25 posts, read 45,294 times
It is interesting to see different reactions people have to Tucson. I have lived in AZ for 13 years; Tucson:8 and Sedona/Flagstaff:5. I absolutely hate Tucson and can't wait to move! The summers here are so hot and the sun is shining so much that if I leave my apartment I physically get sick. A/C does help but not much. Depending on where you live "critters may or may not be a problem." Honestly from what you are saying you are looking for (especially being a gardener), I would look at northern AZ. Prescott, Sedona, and Flagstaff are all much lovelier places. In northern AZ you'll still get lots of sunny days but it doesn't get as hot as here. Also they are smaller towns and you will have a much better time growing plants ad flowers there then here in Tucson. Good luck with your search!

Old 01-11-2012, 05:08 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,059,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyKittenn View Post
the sun is shining so much that if I leave my apartment I physically get sick
you're kidding!!!.....sun makes you sick?.....millions would love/beg to take your place here in Tucson

Old 01-11-2012, 07:06 PM

25 posts, read 45,294 times
It really does! I hate it so much. The sun also makes me sad, however the few grey/rainy days we get are pretty much my only happy days here. I'm just waiting to save enough money to move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson