U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2012, 12:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,170 times

Advertisements

Hey!

I am looking to get out of the cold of Colorado. Scottsdale is awesome, but appears to be above my means. I have found two really nice looking places in my price range on the internet and I would love to hear everyone's opinion about these two areas of town.

I love to walk most places I go, I run 6 miles each morning so a nice running area/park would be great. 44 years old, personable and active.

Thanks everyone, and any other insights into the area would be greatly appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 05:30 PM

3,610 posts, read 1,069,468 times
I think there are more amenities around Speedway/Alvernon. Lots of people jog around Reid Park, about a mile away. The Menlo Park area needs some improvement, in my opinion. But if Rio Nuevo and Downtown Tucson ever realize their full potential, it could be a swingin' place. The Menlo Park area has Tumamoc Hill. It's hard to get more scenic than that around town.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:42 AM

444 posts, read 1,252,557 times
Menlo Park is still somewhat of a transitional neighborhood. There are some great houses there though. If I had a little money, I'd buy in the Mercado District there, just because it's a beautiful area and a beautiful concept that has a really great potential if the housing market ever regains footing. Plus, the Mercado San Agustin is great, and being right there next to it would be even better.

For Speedway/Alvernon, it depends on which side of the corner you're looking at. To the northwest, it varies street to street. There are some ratty apartment complexes but also some nice houses, particularly the closer you get to Country Club. Southwest is some really low-end apartments and weekly rate pseudo flop houses, but it does get nice as, again, you go west toward Country Club. Northeast is mostly all low-end rentals. Southeast is a decent area of mostly cute, little ranch houses.

For running, on the west side, people run up "A" Mountain and Tumamoc Hill. You also have the hike/bike trail that runs along the Santa Cruz River there, but it can be a little sketchy right there. Running through Downtown, particularly up through the El Presidio neighborhood, is really nice. I used to really enjoy biking through there in the morning.

Speedway/Alvernon, Reid Park's popular perimeter jogging path starts about a mile from the intersection at Alvernon/Broadway. There's also the 3rd Street corridor just south of there, which is a "bike boulevard," meaning heavily restricted car traffic and crosswalks with traffic signals. You can run it all the way to UA and make a nice, roughly 5-mile roundtrip. There's also the track at Catalina High School near there, which I believe is open to the public outside of school and extra-curricular hours (I know the tennis courts are).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson