Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 05:41 PM

298 posts, read 948,663 times

Advertisements

Are there retirement villages in the Tucsom area that might offer homes in the low $100's. 1-2 bedroom, 0-1 car garage. What about townhouses?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 08:31 PM

1,024 posts, read 2,748,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrrinmass View Post
Are there retirement villages in the Tucsom area that might offer homes in the low $100's. 1-2 bedroom, 0-1 car garage. What about townhouses?
Dang brrrr, you given up on the house on an acre???? Or just looking for a place to come hang out for a while durring the winter months till you find something? But to answer your question there is lots to choose from with that criteria. I just did a quick seach for single family homes and townhomes in adult communities and under 125K and it came up with 108 listings throughout the Tucson Metro area. Quite a few of those (mostly townhomes) are in the Green Valley area with a good selelction of those in the 100K range. Green Valley would make for a pleasant commute to Raytheon.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:56 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,321,693 times
Hi Brrrinmass, It's a bit brrr here tonight, although not enough to have to put the furnace on. And not to make you jealous but we had Thanksgiving dinner in my brother's backyard.

As Rick said, yes to the 55+ places. A lot of the 55+ places near me have held their real estate value well, too. La Cholla Hills (Fairfield) is close to where I live in NW and those homes are selling for nearly as much as they were priced at when I moved here six years ago -- which is a lot more than you can say for my much newer home.

I attached a website that lists most of them (all I could think of were here). There are separate links for Tucson and Green Valley. I believe the prices listed are not cast in stone. There are short sales and foreclosures in those developments, too.

I'm hearing about more couples moving into 55+ places which only one person is 55, and even the retired couples are far from seeming "retired." When I was selling furniture I had many customers who were buying for homes in Robson properties in Tucson, SaddleBrooke, and Green Valley as well as Heritage Highlands in NW Tucson. They were fun, interesting people -- many from your neck of the woods. Quite a few were still working, too, which accounted for the amount of home office furniture I sold. You won't get too much info from this site, but you'll be able to see where these developments are located and their general styles.
Arizona Active Adult Retirement Communities - AZ 55+ Community Guide

Don't forget about Rancho Sahuarita if you're still planning to work at Raytheon. There are some price bargains there. In RS you can get 3 bedrooms with a 2-car garage in a 5-year-old detached home for the low-$100s. The 55+ neighborhood there is Sonara at Rancho Sahuarita, which is a reasonably priced Del Webb development.
Rancho Sahuarita Homes for Sale

When I was looking for homes before I moved here, I found the following website to be very useful. It's not totally inclusive -- I don't see the 108 below-125K homes Rick mentioned, but there are plenty of photos on this site so you can get an idea of what places look like. Also, this site allows you to make an enormous number of contingencies, so you really can find things VERY specifically, without the complexity of an actual MLS search. But of course, the fewer parameters you list, the more you'll see. If you want 55+ communities, check the box under "Other" that says "Senior Community," then check which city.
Create Your own Tucson Home Search

Old 12-03-2011, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickTucsonHomes View Post
Dang brrrr, you given up on the house on an acre???? Or just looking for a place to come hang out for a while durring the winter months till you find something? But to answer your question there is lots to choose from with that criteria. I just did a quick seach for single family homes and townhomes in adult communities and under 125K and it came up with 108 listings throughout the Tucson Metro area. Quite a few of those (mostly townhomes) are in the Green Valley area with a good selelction of those in the 100K range. Green Valley would make for a pleasant commute to Raytheon.
Hey Rick actually I was thinking of my Mom possibly moving out there with us. She is 76 years old on a fixed income. Probably will not be able to convince her to go out there but I would like to be ready with some answers for her when she asks the questions ha ha ha. I am still looking for the acre+ for me and the wife. My mom would also have to sell her home here in the northeast. Are there "ranch" style townhomes available?
I mean single level townhomes. Here in the northeast they seem to build multi level townhomes for the 55+ communities which doesn't make any sense to me (other than greed of the builders I guess) sinse most elderly people do not want to climb stairs ny more.

Old 12-03-2011, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Hi Brrrinmass, It's a bit brrr here tonight, although not enough to have to put the furnace on. And not to make you jealous but we had Thanksgiving dinner in my brother's backyard.

As Rick said, yes to the 55+ places. A lot of the 55+ places near me have held their real estate value well, too. La Cholla Hills (Fairfield) is close to where I live in NW and those homes are selling for nearly as much as they were priced at when I moved here six years ago -- which is a lot more than you can say for my much newer home.

I attached a website that lists most of them (all I could think of were here). There are separate links for Tucson and Green Valley. I believe the prices listed are not cast in stone. There are short sales and foreclosures in those developments, too.

I'm hearing about more couples moving into 55+ places which only one person is 55, and even the retired couples are far from seeming "retired." When I was selling furniture I had many customers who were buying for homes in Robson properties in Tucson, SaddleBrooke, and Green Valley as well as Heritage Highlands in NW Tucson. They were fun, interesting people -- many from your neck of the woods. Quite a few were still working, too, which accounted for the amount of home office furniture I sold. You won't get too much info from this site, but you'll be able to see where these developments are located and their general styles.
Arizona Active Adult Retirement Communities - AZ 55+ Community Guide

Don't forget about Rancho Sahuarita if you're still planning to work at Raytheon. There are some price bargains there. In RS you can get 3 bedrooms with a 2-car garage in a 5-year-old detached home for the low-$100s. The 55+ neighborhood there is Sonara at Rancho Sahuarita, which is a reasonably priced Del Webb development.
Rancho Sahuarita Homes for Sale

When I was looking for homes before I moved here, I found the following website to be very useful. It's not totally inclusive -- I don't see the 108 below-125K homes Rick mentioned, but there are plenty of photos on this site so you can get an idea of what places look like. Also, this site allows you to make an enormous number of contingencies, so you really can find things VERY specifically, without the complexity of an actual MLS search. But of course, the fewer parameters you list, the more you'll see. If you want 55+ communities, check the box under "Other" that says "Senior Community," then check which city.
Create Your own Tucson Home Search
Thanks Jukesgrrl. I will take a look at those websites. Don't have time right now but will take a look tonight.

Old 12-03-2011, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Hey Rick actually I was thinking of my Mom possibly moving out there with us. She is 76 years old on a fixed income. Probably will not be able to convince her to go out there but I would like to be ready with some answers for her when she asks the questions ha ha ha. I am still looking for the acre+ for me and the wife. My mom would also have to sell her home here in the northeast. Are there "ranch" style townhomes available?
I mean single level townhomes. Here in the northeast they seem to build multi level townhomes for the 55+ communities which doesn't make any sense to me (other than greed of the builders I guess) sinse most elderly people do not want to climb stairs ny more.
Yep! The vast majority will be single story.

Old 12-20-2011, 05:00 PM

Hey Rick when my wife and I were there a few years ago we were looking at houses in Sahuarita. When we went to the grocery store we saw retirees driving to the market in golf carts. Do a lot of retirees get around that way in Green Valley? Is that standard procedure? Do they have special lanes for these vehicles? Do they drive on the bike paths? Just thinking of my mother who can no longer drive a car as she has poor vision in one eye.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Hey Rick when my wife and I were there a few years ago we were looking at houses in Sahuarita. When we went to the grocery store we saw retirees driving to the market in golf carts. Do a lot of retirees get around that way in Green Valley? Is that standard procedure? Do they have special lanes for these vehicles? Do they drive on the bike paths? Just thinking of my mother who can no longer drive a car as she has poor vision in one eye.
Yes very common in the retirement areas. To get around at some point you will share the road and parking lots with cars.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:07 AM

461 posts, read 1,314,257 times
brrr...avoid Rancho Sahuarita. It is very over developed, busy and many of us want out. Not really a retirement area, just a small section is designated for over 55. Not many people drive golf carts in this area. I wouldn't want my parents living there. Green valley would be far better for your mother. Many people are cruising around in their golf carts and there are special lanes for them down La Canada (have to share with bikes). It's funny to see some folks winterize their carts

Old 12-21-2011, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jksn75 View Post
brrr...avoid Rancho Sahuarita. It is very over developed, busy and many of us want out. Not really a retirement area, just a small section is designated for over 55. Not many people drive golf carts in this area. I wouldn't want my parents living there. Green valley would be far better for your mother. Many people are cruising around in their golf carts and there are special lanes for them down La Canada (have to share with bikes). It's funny to see some folks winterize their carts

winterize?????? thought you "guys" didn't have winter over there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson