U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 07:40 PM

5 posts, read 8,097 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My job is possibly relocating me to tucson from houston in the next few weeks and would like to get some information about the city. From google maps it looks like my job will be located near south tucson. Looking for the usual stuff like where to live and cool bars to hang out at. A little about me and what I am looking for, I am 28 male and single, like to go to bars and happy hours, golf, wouldnt mind getting into biking since ill be near mountains, young professional groups or anything social really. living wise, i will be renting but dont really want to be in a college dorm type apartment but also dont want to live 30 mins for cool stuff to do. No sketchy areas, any help would be great. thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 07:20 AM

3,610 posts, read 1,071,885 times
Do you want to rent a house or an apartment? How much are you willing to pay in rent? There are lots of good places to live in and around Tucson, but this info will help get you better suggestions.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:42 AM

444 posts, read 1,254,279 times
I moved to Tucson from Houston as well. Best decision I ever made. I hated Houston and was spending every break (I went to UH) heading west to hike, camp or just explore.
Live near Downtown or UA. I normally encourage people to live close to their work, but a lot of the southside is pretty bad and there's not much to do down there anyway.
Tucson's great for biking, even just casually or for commuting (maybe not the southside though). It's also big for running and soccer.
I think you'll probably really enjoy it. I'm not much older than you, and there were a ton of people my age (a lot of single women, too), many of whom were employed with the university. But it's a young professional town.
Happy hours... Huge in Tucson. It's hard to not do the happy hours because they're so competitive and have such good deals. I have a large list of what I think are the best ones.
There's Tucson Young Professionals, but I've always seen it as a mix of singles bar and marketing. Then again, maybe that's what you're looking for. But it's an active group and the events are pretty nice.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:32 PM

Tumamoc - probably thinking less than $800 for an apartment. is that realistic?

Coatimundi- thanks for the info. any specific streets you would recomend leaving on or near for ease of night life (im not big into driving after drinks)?

Old 03-02-2012, 06:54 PM

484 posts, read 902,044 times
$800 is plenty for an apartment.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:57 PM

4,201 posts, read 12,977,609 times
if you don't already know about meetup.com, join and check it out for Tucson groups of interest to you.....

can you give us an approx. location for the job so we can suggest places to live?

Old 03-03-2012, 11:26 AM

You may want to look at living in Armory Park. I have a friend that lives there, although she owns, but she's able to walk to the bars on Congress, concerts at the Rialto, the restaurants there, and the farmers market on Sunday. I used to live west of Downtown and enjoyed my time there, but the west side of Downtown gets a little sketchy and there's really nothing over there except for the TCC and the bus depot.
4th Avenue and University are the other bar streets, but it's hard to find a decent rental there that doesn't get too "college." When I was dating my wife, she lived in a little house on the northwest side of Speedway & Euclid, and I really liked that spot. That neighborhood gets bad really quickly though, pretty much as soon as you go north of about Drachman. The other side of Euclid sucks also (low-end rentals, high crime).
I don't know where you live in Houston now (I spent most of my time there in the Montrose and Museum District), but it's a similar rental market where you just have to drive around and find stuff or look at independent ads on, say, Craig's List, or try to deal with the larger property management companies. In Tucson, those are Prestige, Rincon and Peach for the more central rentals. The large complexes that are in decent neighborhoods are either crack dens or exorbitantly overpriced. The small places are typically what you want. But the ones that are owned by property managers tend to be terrible as well.
Additionally, the Tucson MLS (just Google it) actually has some decent rentals on it. As you can imagine though, if they get to the point that they put ads up or, in particular, hire a realtor to get it on MLS, it's been out there a while and there's probably just something wrong with it. My last rental in Tucson came off of MLS though, and I loved that place.

Old 03-03-2012, 02:41 PM

azdr- it looks to be near prima cc.
Coat-this armory park area looks like a good start, much appreciate it. i live in the galleria area. if i found an area that resembled the heights i would be pretty happy.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:04 AM

There are six Pima Community College campuses. If it's right off I-19, then it's the Desert Vista campus. Not a very good area. I've known a couple of people who lived in Midvale Park (just west of there) and were okay with it, but it's more a family/suburban area.
Armory Park is the closest you'll get to the Heights, I think. Most of the rentals are in old houses that have been split though, as opposed to the gaudy apartment complexes they replaced a lot of the old houses with in the Heights.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,511 times
Default I too am looking to move HELP!

Hi there! I would like to first say I love these forums word of mouth is such a helpful tool! So here I am writing to all of you to ask for help! About me, 35 single mom, home owner here in Portland Oregon. I have been a small business owner here as a hair stylist for 14 years I LOVE WHAT I DO! I can not live through one more winter here, winter is so dark and rainy and the moisture kills my joints. I lived in Utah for 4 years when I was younger and I loved the weather. So here goes my search, I will have no job at first, I will have money saved, very bad credit as my business has struggled the last two years. I am ready for a fresh start! I plan to rent my home here and so I guess technically that would classify as income. I am looking for a safe, family oriented location, close to a great high end salon that caters to folks who have stable income. My success depends on building a clientele. So a some what progressive trendy area would be best to work and as far as living I would rather not commute any further than 20 minutes...ANY input you have would be greatly appreciated!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson