U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-11-2007, 01:43 PM
 
14 posts, read 71,842 times
Reputation: 22

Advertisements

I think I did last night. I was sitting on my patio and saw something wink on and off a couple of times above my lawn. I went inside to get a flashlight to have a look and when I came back I could not find anything. I have seen them before in Illinois and North Carolina, but not here. Do we have lightnin' bugs here?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-11-2007, 01:56 PM
 
Location: Southern Arizona
9,556 posts, read 30,191,928 times
Reputation: 11555
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrgone View Post
I think I did last night. I was sitting on my patio and saw something wink on and off a couple of times above my lawn. I went inside to get a flashlight to have a look and when I came back I could not find anything. I have seen them before in Illinois and North Carolina, but not here. Do we have lightnin' bugs here?
Hey, Bartender, I want whatever Rrgone is drinking! Hehehe!

All joking aside, having lived here for ten years and frequently spend many evening hours on my patio . . . I have never seen one lightning bug.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2007, 02:54 PM
 
14 posts, read 71,842 times
Reputation: 22
Well it was a rather inexpensive chardonnay... But still, I'm pretty convinced I saw a bug that could light up it's butt.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2007, 05:05 PM
 
Location: Tucson
42,835 posts, read 85,450,094 times
Reputation: 22814
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrgone View Post
Well it was a rather inexpensive chardonnay... But still, I'm pretty convinced I saw a bug that could light up it's butt.
Once I claimed you can't see something in Tucson (don't recall what) and somebody had seen it... Who knows...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2007, 09:16 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn, NY
9,011 posts, read 12,651,698 times
Reputation: 9075
I never saw a lightning bug in Tucson, unfortunately. I lived there almost 8 years. Gorgeous, gorgeous sunsets and beautiful desertscapes...a beautiful area.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2007, 12:24 AM
 
Location: Augusta, GA
166 posts, read 452,654 times
Reputation: 57
Well I did a google search on lightning bugs and they ain't here! They tend to be on the eastern part of the US. Places with more humidity and water. So I think you were seeing things!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2007, 12:33 AM
 
Location: Southern Arizona
9,556 posts, read 30,191,928 times
Reputation: 11555
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissyR View Post
Well I did a google search on lightning bugs and they ain't here! They tend to be on the eastern part of the US. Places with more humidity and water. So I think you were seeing things!!
LOL @ Chrissy

As I posted earlier . . . I want whatever RRGone is drinking.

Other than during the monsoons, we sit on my front patio almost every evening and I have never seen a Firefly and/or Lightning Bug. ! ! ! !
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2007, 05:53 PM
 
14 posts, read 71,842 times
Reputation: 22
Never say never!

I asked the Entomology Department at the UA and was told that indeed we do have fireflies in the Sonoran Desert. The population here is not large and is not active very long during the year. They are more commonly found along the Santa Cruz, and, the Entomology Dept is working with the Desert Museum trying to get some established out there.

Cool huh!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2007, 06:35 PM
 
Location: Southern Arizona
9,556 posts, read 30,191,928 times
Reputation: 11555
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrgone View Post
Never say never!

I asked the Entomology Department at the UA and was told that indeed we do have fireflies in the Sonoran Desert. The population here is not large and is not active very long during the year. They are more commonly found along the Santa Cruz, and, the Entomology Dept is working with the Desert Museum trying to get some established out there.

Cool huh!
Good news, Rrgone

It will definitely make the many Lizards that live on my patio very happy!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2007, 12:22 AM
 
14 posts, read 71,842 times
Reputation: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Good news, Rrgone

It will definitely make the many Lizards that live on my patio very happy!

The lizards are pretty scarce after dark at my place. But the bats are having a field day out there! I was just watching a Mexican Long Nose Bat raid the hummingbird feeder. Amazing acrobatics.

ps: a better chardonnay tonight too...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:16 AM.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top