U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2012, 08:28 PM

22 posts, read 63,329 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am trying to decide to move to Phoenix or Tucson. I used to live in Austin and loved the small town feel to the big city. How does Tucson compare to Austin? I currently live in the Kansas City area. Since moving here 3yrs ago, I have had nothing but health problems. How is the humidity? Pollurion? Do you get wide swings in temperatures a lot? When I lived in Austin, I didnt have any of the health problems I have now.

I will be leaving my boyfriend of 5yrs. Is it hard to meet people around age 40? I am not a drinker...so I dont go to clubs or bars. I am a laid back person but conservative. What are the people like in Tucson? I will not have a car til I get enough money to buy a good used one (long story on why I dobt have a car)....is it possible to get around town without a car?

If I move to the area, I will be swimming at UA. What areas are safe but close to where I will be swimming and not too expensive?

Thank you for any info you would like to provide.

Karrah

Last edited by karrahs; 04-13-2012 at 08:35 PM.. Reason: more questions
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 09:34 PM

8,873 posts, read 15,453,392 times
Tucson is a very sleepy town compared to Austin. Not nearly as much to do here and the vibe is not so adventurous and creative. Aside from the students at the university, much of Tucson is influenced by the retirees who settle here. People in the between-age seem to enjoy hiking, biking, and golf as much as anything. I constantly hear Tucsonans brag about the place being "laid back," and that it is, but you will never see a bumper sticker that says "Keep Tucson Weird."

Personally, I found it very hard to meet people when I arrived six years ago, being not young yet certainly not retired. I still don't know very many. And please be aware that while it's always said there are "nearly a million people" in the metro, that population is spread over all of Pima County, which is the same size as Connecticut; it's not confined to the city of Tucson.

Your questions about the weather lead me to think you haven't spent much, if any, time here. There basically is no humidity in Tucson. There is a monsoon season in the summer with sporadic heavy rains and flooding, but even then it's rarely humid. Compared to other places I have lived (and that is many varied locations), I don't notice pollution. I do, however, notice allergens. I am as bothered by allergies here as any place I've ever lived. The grit that is in the air due to the dryness, the sand composition of the soil, and the dry air is enough to be very bothersome to anyone who has a dust allergy. Have you ever heard of famous singers complain of "Vegas throat," a complication they experience being in the desert? I've had Vegas throat the whole time I've lived here and red, watery eyes most of the time. Right now I am also in extreme reaction to the blooming palo verde trees. Desert plants produce PLENTY of pollen.

You haven't mentioned a job. I presume you have one already or don't need one. I would never recommend anyone to come here before finding employment. I was well-educated with decades of experience and it took me a year to find a job before the economy tanked. You also mention swimming at U of A. If I'm not being too nosy, how are you able to do that? Are you enrolling as a student? I know there are private swim teams that use Hillenbrand but I thought they were young swimmers in training.

The housing stock right around the university area varies widely from noisy student neighborhoods to a couple of residential neighborhoods with rather expensive single-family homes. If you want advice on living situations, we would need to be provided with your expectations and a more specific description of budget than "not too expensive." I don't know anyone in Tucson who doesn't have a car, although I'm sure there are plenty. Tucson is a great town for bike riding, but as a sole form of transportation it's not convenient for shopping and (I'm presuming you're a woman), not all that safe after dark. The buses only run in the city except for limited commuter runs into some suburbs during work hours.

Also, where there are some pretty residential neighborhoods such as the Sam Hughes area, some vibrant Latino barrios, and the university campus, the rest of downtown Tucson isn't all that attractive. I hear a lot of people on C-D describe it as "run-down" and "dirty." Most merchants who invest money in the look of their establishments are in the suburbs. You will hear about 4th Avenue, a busy commercial area. People told me I would love it since I am a bit unconventional in my tastes. But after much investigation I found it to be almost 100% aimed at college students.

You describe yourself as "conservative." If you are church-going, I'm sure you would meet people that way. And if that describes your politics, Arizona is currently run by ultra-conservatives, although the city of Tucson is one of the more liberal places in the state.

Last edited by Jukesgrrl; 04-13-2012 at 09:43 PM.. Reason: add some info

Old 04-14-2012, 01:53 AM

1,971 posts, read 2,856,853 times
How is the humidity?
There is no humidity

Pollurion?
not bad, but there is a lot of dust.

Do you get wide swings in temperatures a lot?
Mostly in winter. It's the desert, so it always drops at least 20 degrees between day and night.

I will be leaving my boyfriend of 5yrs. Is it hard to meet people around age 40?

Yes, it is hard to meet people that age.

What are the people like in Tucson?

Students, retirees, and mexican people.

Iis it possible to get around town without a car?

it is possible, but it would suck to live here without a car.

What areas are safe but close to where I will be swimming and not too expensive?

The neighborhoods near the university are mostly all safe and not too expensive, but maybe not that nice.

Old 04-14-2012, 12:42 PM

1,024 posts, read 2,595,819 times
Here are the links to the City-Data page for Phoneix, Tucson and Austin. Lots of demographic information e.g., median age in Austin is 29.6, Phoenix is 30.7 and median age in Tucson is 32.1. Plenty of population info, weather info. A good place to start to get a general idea.
//www.city-data.com/city/Tucson-Arizona.html
//www.city-data.com/city/Austin-Texas.html
//www.city-data.com/city/Phoenix-Arizona.html

Old 04-14-2012, 05:31 PM

22 posts, read 63,329 times
Thanks for the info. I think I will like the Phoenix area than Tucson based on your responses. I like a town with lots to do. Here in Kansas City,.its so boring...Im going crazy with because there isnt much to do.

Again, thanks for your inputs!!

Karrah

Old 04-14-2012, 08:27 PM

8,873 posts, read 15,453,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karrahs View Post
Thanks for the info. I think I will like the Phoenix area than Tucson based on your responses. I like a town with lots to do. Here in Kansas City,.its so boring...Im going crazy with because there isnt much to do.

Karrah
If you think Kansas City is so boring you're going crazy, yes, you better stick to Phoenix. Also, I think it will be easier for you to meet singles your own age there.

Good luck.

Old 04-15-2012, 02:34 PM

14,782 posts, read 10,739,173 times
I would think that Tucson's "vibe" is more like Austin than Phoenix "vibe" is.
If you live down by the University it isn't that much different than UT. I'd agree that Tucson isn't as "vibrant" as Austin because it doesn't have the capitol and the booming Tech companies, but Tucson does have a bit of the Austin feel in it's core.

People are always griping about Phoenix not having anything to do for a city it's size. Phoenix has things to do but that is a frequent compaint about the place. That being said it certainly has more going on than Tucson.

However, If it was the core of Austin or south Austin that appealed to you then you might look at the UofA area in Tucson.

Old 04-15-2012, 04:34 PM

1,024 posts, read 2,595,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karrahs View Post

Karrah
Now I love Tucson, but ditto to what Jukesgrrl said. If you are bored in KC you will go crazy in Tucson. KC is a happening place compared to Tucson. I lived for 24 years in the KC area before moving to AZ.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:39 AM

1,971 posts, read 2,856,853 times
KC has more going on than Phoenix.
Also, Phoenix is impossible without a car.
If you liked Austin, I'd just move back to Austin...

Old 04-16-2012, 11:35 AM

100 posts, read 150,601 times
Since you are conservative, I think Tucson's old hippies would not make you very happy. Austin is liberal, though. Was that why you disliked it? Tucson is liberal also. Phoenix might be your style. Since Tucson is close to the border, things are a little different for us. Oro Valley has filled up with very conservative, but elderly people. I think you want young conservatives and that might be in Phoenix or the conservative areas of other Texas cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson