Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 03:01 PM

29 posts, read 89,972 times

Advertisements

I've decided to make Tucson my new home. About me: I'm divorced,mid 40's, looking for a complete change of scenery. I currently live in New Jersey and do not want to remain here for the rest of my life. Now, I realize Tucson would be a major change from what I'm used to, but I've just had it with New Jersey's high housing costs, high property taxes, high auto insurance rates, and high costs of just about everything else in this state. I made $72,000 here last year, and I'm still struggling to survive. This may seem hard to believe for Arizona residents, but I assure you, it's true. If I made that kind of money in Tucson, I'd be living like a king. I've been to Tucson several times on vacation (I have a friend who lives in Picture Rocks. I know,I know, white trash area, right?). However, for the type of house I'm looking for, I could buy it in the Picture Rocks area for CASH. How many people can say they live with no mortgage? Not to mention the property taxes would be 1/10 of what they would be in N.J. Also, I would never have to shovel snow again, or worse yet, have to drive to work in it. (Ask anyone who lives where it snows. Believe me, it's no picnic). Before anybody lectures me about the heat, I know all about it. Admittedly, N.J. doesn't get as hot as AZ., but the high humidity more than makes up for it. As for a job, I've been a truck driver my whole life. I know jobs are not as plentiful in AZ., but how hard can it be to get a job driving a truck? My biggest problem would probably be learning the area and the roads so I would not get lost (especially since there's no crosstown freeway in Tucson, hahaha. That topic has been discussed ad nauseum in previous threads). Regarding a salary, I realize I will not make as much money in Tucson, but as I stated earlier, I would not have a mortgage. All in all, I think it would be a good thing to try. I mean, if I move to Tucson and end up falling flat on my face for whatever reason, I know I could find my way back to New Jersey. (even though that would be an absolute last resort type of decision. Tucson would have to suck pretty bad for me to move back to N.J.) Any locals have any thoughts on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2007, 03:13 PM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Welcome to Tucson, ssebnj!

Interesting enough, I did the very same thing ten years ago except I relocated from Northern California.

As far as the weather here . . . I'll prefer Tucson's weather over the crap back east!

Good Luck

Old 09-16-2007, 03:26 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
I second Bummer here:

If you can make even 50% your NJ income but with no mortgage; you would be fine

Old 09-16-2007, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I second Bummer here:

If you can make even 50% your NJ income but with no mortgage; you would be fine
Absolutely, ArizonaBear

It is not how much you make . . . it is how much remains after you've covered all of your expenses.

I learned that lesson immediately after relocating here back in the late 90's.

Old 09-16-2007, 05:15 PM

29 posts, read 89,972 times
Thanks for the replies Bummer and ArizonaBear. I think I'll be moving either the end of this year or early next year. I have some loose ends to tie up here in N.J. and then I'll be free to leave. I think just the drive out there will be an adventure in itself. I've never driven further west than St. Louis, MO., so everything past that will be new scenery for me. Of course, I've seen it from an airplane, but it's alot different on the ground. I can't wait. I figure I should make it there in about 4 days, maybe 5. Should be fun.

Old 09-16-2007, 05:15 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times
ssebnj -

We REALLY like many aspects of the Picture Rocks area - particular it's natural beauty. If we could have found the right lot there, we would have bought.

Ken

Old 09-16-2007, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssebnj View Post
Thanks for the replies Bummer and ArizonaBear. I think I'll be moving either the end of this year or early next year. I have some loose ends to tie up here in N.J. and then I'll be free to leave. I think just the drive out there will be an adventure in itself. I've never driven further west than St. Louis, MO., so everything past that will be new scenery for me. Of course, I've seen it from an airplane, but it's alot different on the ground. I can't wait. I figure I should make it there in about 4 days, maybe 5. Should be fun.
Excellent plan, ssebnj

Two years ago I flew to St Louis and then drove up to Auburn, Illinois to buy a new car (very long and weird story but worth every mile) . . . the 4 day 1600 mile trip home was great.

Give yourself plenty of time and make an experience out of it.

Good Luck

Old 09-16-2007, 06:29 PM

27,337 posts, read 27,387,014 times
Great that you are doing what YOU want to do despite what others think of other areas. Sometimes it seems the more someone tries to discourage a person from relocating to a particular location, the harder I would push to get there. Ive been to Tucson on many occaisions and think its pretty there, we've gone up Mt Lemmon several times and loved it. Though relocating there isnt in my criteria its still nice. Common sense would tell you that its not a wise choice to move to L. A. or the Bronx, but you get the drift? If its not as cut out as you thought it would be, well, you can blame yourself, right?
Point being, there is not going to be a 110% positive about anywhere on earth, so why not just go, make the best of whats is in your heart I guess. Ive been in Southern Az for a decade now and for the right reasons, would seriously move back to Flagstaff or back to Calif.

Last edited by country pride; 09-16-2007 at 06:40 PM..

Old 09-16-2007, 07:41 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,480,614 times
Go for it. I'm making the move from New Jersey next week, and I can't wait. I feel this is the right move for me for personal reasons, but feeling optimistic about being able to buy a house doesn't hurt either. You are right to do what you feel is right for you.

Old 09-16-2007, 09:05 PM

986 posts, read 2,807,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssebnj View Post
My son moved to Tucson from NJ last April..my husband and my son took the cross country trip in a u-haul and had the best time!! They still talk about their adventure!! So good luck, I am a little jealous, I love Tucson and so want to move there. Maybe one day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson