Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 06:10 PM

2 posts, read 6,074 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I have recently been accepted for a PhD at the University of Tucson.
I have been doing some research and it has scared the crap out of me. I've checked crime rates and stats and it looks like Tucson is one of the most dangerous cities in the southwest. More specifically, I've been reading about open cartel activity in and around the city. I have to say that all this is really turning me off and making me think twice about going.
Is there anyone who can honestly (without exaggeration nor underestimation) tell me if Tucson is safe?
I know every large city has its share of crime and places to avoid. I just want to know what you can actually say from experience!

Thank you all for your help.

Kevin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 08:30 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,161,310 times
Does your user name include "Motown" because you hail from Detroit, or you just like the Motown sound? If you're from Detroit, you'll be shocked at how sleepy and safe Tucson is.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:16 PM

45 posts, read 75,399 times
I have been living in Tucson for going on 4 years, and it has went down hill the short time I moved here.
I moved here from Tempe, and wish I had stayed there.
Kevin, it really depends on what area you are in. I have lived in different areas, from houses to apartments. And, the city is broken up different than any other city I have ever lived in. The best areas of Tucson are the North Side, far east side, Oro Valley, Marana.
I would never call Tucson a sleepy, and safe town-but yes compared to places like Detroit, even Southern Cali. where I am from, I think Tucson is better.
It is also not the worst place to live. I have not had any major problems with safety, except once, and that was when some drunk dude had the wrong apartment and sounded like he was trying to break down my front door. And, I believe the college areas provide pretty safe environments.

Last edited by 5150aries; 04-21-2012 at 10:06 PM.. Reason: misquote

Old 04-21-2012, 09:46 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times
I absolutely, positively think you should choose the location where you seek your PhD on the quality of program offered by the University of Arizona (it isn't called the University of Tucson) as compared to whatever other universities you are considering. I could never in a million years imagine someone rejecting a U of A education based solely on fear of the crime one MIGHT encounter.

Here is how I base my assessment. I have lived in Tucson for six years. Prior to that I lived for long periods of time in Washington, DC, and Pittsburgh, PA. In the cities in both cases, not the suburbs. I have also lived at the shore in New Jersey and in Olympia, WA (the state capital but hardly what I would call a "city"). I've spent a considerable amount of time in New York City and Miami for work situations and in Chicago, Denver, San Diego, and Los Angeles because I have family in all those places. I'm just telling you this because I want you to know I am not a rah-rah Tucson native wanting to paint my city in a rosy light. I am old (by your standards if you are a student) and I've "been around."

Several times on this board I have said that I feel it's much more likely I will die of boredom in Tucson before I would lose my life due to a crime. I'm not saying there's no crime in Tucson. There IS crime here. But there is crime everywhere I've ever lived. Yes, here we are close to the border and that has some effect on crime statistics, but the vast majority of the drama you read about is hype designed to fit somebody's political agenda. This is not the kidnapping capital of the world. There are not headless bodies littering the desert. Drugs do move through here. Illegal people move through here. But the key words are "move through." The criminals are going somewhere else ... as fast as they can.

Just as in every other city I've ever lived in, there are neighborhoods where drugs and dealers are prevalent. Don't go there. You won't have to. The only time I go to South Tucson is to eat in some of the great Mexican restaurants they have there. Once in a while I go with my sister-in-law-the-interior-designer in search of some Mexican something or another she wants. No one needs to do either of those things.

I have heard of some drive-by shootings and home invasions since I've lived here. In every case I can think of they were traced back to people involved in the drug trade. Other crimes are statistically likely to occur in poor neighborhoods where underprivileged people are the perpetrators and the victims. As a U of A student, what would be the odds of something like that happening to you?

Statistically, the bad thing most likely to happen to you is having your car or your mail stolen, since we are high in both those types of crime. Chop shops and identity theft are popular in all border cities. But those are things sensible living will enable you to steer clear of. The next most problematic thing is finding a place to live near the university that won't be the center of a non-stop party. That, too, is an issue in most college towns. And needless to say all college women need to be prepared to ward off sex assaults. But that is true in bucolic Tiny Town U., too.

In my time on C-D, there was one person I counseled NOT to move to Tucson. He was an undergrad in a small college in a small town. From what he wrote he appeared to be afraid of his own shadow. Possibly agoraphobic. I told him not to come here just because I didn't think he had the life-skills to be able to live in any town of this size. Not to mention one far away from the people he knew. Only you know if you are of a similar mindset.

Much of Tucson is not pretty. The landscape is gorgeous, but people here don't tend to be house proud and commercial areas are what they are. But you are exploring Tucson with your eye on a degree. The campus is lovely, you will probably be studying all the time. Perhaps you will enjoy some of the activities we are so famous for: biking, hiking, golf, drinking beer by a pool. Do not let fear of crime be a major factor in choosing the U of A.

Last edited by Jukesgrrl; 04-21-2012 at 09:57 PM.. Reason: added something

Old 04-21-2012, 09:47 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,161,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
Does your user name include "Motown" because you hail from Detroit, or you just like the Motown sound? If you're from Detroit, you'll be shocked at how sleepy and safe Tucson is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150aries View Post
I would never call Tucson a sleepy, and safe town, but it is also not the worst place to live.
If you re-read my post, I didn't say Tucson was sleepy and safe. I did say if you're moving from Detroit it would seem to be that way.

Old 04-21-2012, 10:13 PM

10,066 posts, read 14,444,601 times
I lived in Tucson from 1991 until 1998 and have visited there 5 times since I left--most recently early in 2011. Tucson had its areas that were so-so and run down, but I never, ever, ever felt at any time unsafe, anywhere in the city.
I graduated from the U of A and it was so freakin amazing as a campus and college town. Wonderful experience.
As others have said, there is crime EVERYWHERE. My advice is to use common sense and you should be fine.
I think the proximity to Mexico, with all of Mexico's terrible crime problems have some people irrationally thinking Tucson and other border cities are over-run with shoot 'em up gangsters.

Old 04-22-2012, 12:18 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,573,613 times
There is no University of Tucson. If you're at the point where you're a Ph.D. candidate, it would be good to know what school accepted you into their program.

That said, unless you deal drugs, smuggle drugs or people, or hang out with people who do, you most likely will never experience crime first hand. Yes, there IS crime, but even Podunk, USA has crime. If you're smart enough to be a Ph.D. candidate, you're probably smart enough to analyze the research you read on crime in Tucson and make a sensible decision about what precautions you need to take. Locking your car, having a locking mailbox (you would in most apartment or condo complexes), and avoiding those who smuggle drugs and/or people are just common sense. What others have posted here should allay your crime fears.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:01 AM

1,429 posts, read 2,419,472 times
Jukesgrll... is right on the money. I was born in Tucson and even though I will always love it, it is kind of a shabby little one horse town. It is safe though. I ventured down to S. Tucson many times alone and never had a problem and if you live there going to Minidito and L&L are an absolute must.
There are beautiful places there... Catalina Foothills, Sabino Canyon, drive to Mt. Lemmon. West out towards Saguaro Monument, or E. Saguaro Monument. Tanque Verde East. The skyline. The smell after it rains. The color of sand Northwest towards Tangerine and the Air Park. UA Wildcat games are pure culture etc. If you do visit the campus before you move there the are surrounding the UA is kind of junked up. Go, get you PhD and then move somewhere else! Good luck!

Old 04-22-2012, 09:20 AM

2 posts, read 6,074 times
Hi guys,
thank you all for the support and for the reassuring news. And thank you Jukesgrrl for the thorough reply. I do know there is no University of Tucson, it was just a slip of the tongue...
Anyway, I appreciate your help. What areas would you suggest to look into for housing?

Old 04-22-2012, 11:27 AM

116 posts, read 227,926 times
Kevin What type of doctoral program are entering at UA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Motown View Post
Hi,
I have recently been accepted for a PhD at the University of Tucson.
I have been doing some research and it has scared the crap out of me. I've checked crime rates and stats and it looks like Tucson is one of the most dangerous cities in the southwest. More specifically, I've been reading about open cartel activity in and around the city. I have to say that all this is really turning me off and making me think twice about going.
Is there anyone who can honestly (without exaggeration nor underestimation) tell me if Tucson is safe?
I know every large city has its share of crime and places to avoid. I just want to know what you can actually say from experience!

Thank you all for your help.

Kevin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson