U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2012, 10:05 AM

1 posts, read 2,382 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, before you jump to a conclusion please read through my whole post first.

I'm in town to visit a friend and was pulled over on Speedway (traveling east at Prudence intersection). The cop was on a motorcycle and he said I was going 58 which I know for certain I was not. I was just keeping up with the speed of moving traffic and was changing to the left lane in order to get into the left turn lane on Pantano ahead.

I'm looking at the ticket now in my room and noticed there's a Laser/Radar ID #. The interesting thing is, the information of the offending vehicle does not at all match my vehicle except for the color. The registered owner name is no one I know who lives in AZ. I live in MN and my vehicle is registered in MN.

My question is, can the vehicle registration information be used to fight this speeding ticket in court based on the fact that there's a possibility the radar/laser got the speed off of another vehicle?
Rate this post positively

Old 05-15-2012, 10:10 AM

484 posts, read 904,612 times
I have no idea but sounds like you could fight it.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:27 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 16,668,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ongnoi View Post
Hi everyone, before you jump to a conclusion please read through my whole post first.

I'm in town to visit a friend and was pulled over on Speedway (traveling east at Prudence intersection). The cop was on a motorcycle and he said I was going 58 which I know for certain I was not. I was just keeping up with the speed of moving traffic and was changing to the left lane in order to get into the left turn lane on Pantano ahead.

I'm looking at the ticket now in my room and noticed there's a Laser/Radar ID #. The interesting thing is, the information of the offending vehicle does not at all match my vehicle except for the color. The registered owner name is no one I know who lives in AZ. I live in MN and my vehicle is registered in MN.

My question is, can the vehicle registration information be used to fight this speeding ticket in court based on the fact that there's a possibility the radar/laser got the speed off of another vehicle?
I had a similar situation years back with a parking ticket. It was the same plate number as mine but the wrong vehicle and state. I called the judges office and sent them a copy of my registration and they cancelled the ticket.
Six months later I got another ticket and again called the judges office. They cancelled the ticket again and advised me to get new plates. I did and the tickets stopped.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:34 AM

444 posts, read 1,258,210 times
Sounds like you can definitely fight it. I had a speeding ticket where the cop didn't write in the VIN and, when the clerk saw it, she said "Make sure you point that out, because he'll probably dismiss it." Unfortunately, that wasn't enough, but I got out of the ticket for another reason. Wrong vehicle description should definitely do it. Problem is that you have to deal with going to court to fight it.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:36 PM

23 posts, read 105,520 times
If your ticket has a different vehicle description and license plate number than the vehicle you were driving at the time, it appears the officer may have stopped the wrong vehicle. It happens. Not only can you fight it, but most likely would be dismissed if you could prove it was not the vehicle you were driving at the time. Go to court prepared, with your registration, vehicle insurance and a picture of the vehicle, including the license plate, of the vehicle you were driving at the time. Mistakes happen, but being polite in court goes a long way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson