Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 11:07 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
D.C. ??? Are you kidding me???? I lived in Michigan and its much colder, and I can tell you this once its 100 degrees outside you can't do anything, let alone the intensity of the sunlight, so from May to September or October its too hot to do anything.

Plus when you're outside in the heat you always need a layer on to protect your skin from the sun, which is more insulation that makes you sweat more and need more water. Cold weather.... a little more insulation and you're fine, and you won't get so dehydrated that it will kill you.

My gf's brother lives in Boston and shares the same sentiment as me.

Again its all personal preference but when it comes to temperature, to me its common sense, and again too many people live out in this desert for what it supports.
Well, as you mention, it's all personal preference. I've lived out on Long Island (similar weather to Boston), in Battle Creek Michigan and all the snow and cold they get, and North Dakota (through 2 "hell on earth" winters) and now reside in cool dreary Seattle and I have to say that I'm very much looking forward to eventually living in Arizona. We were in Tucson in late July and early August and found the heat didn't bother us at all or prevent us from doing anything really. Mind you we were on vacation so it's not like we were outside trying to do heavy labor yardwork or anything (would not want to do that in the heat) but for general getting around, siteseeing, shopping etc it was just fine. Admittedly it WAS warm (and humid that time of year - I actually felt kind of like I was back in the tropics) but I hardly felt like it was blistering out, never got burned (tanned a bit though), and generally had a terrific time. Went for a swim on a few of the days - which was admittedly nice.

I guess it MIGHT get old after a while and I have to admit that in such places (spent 2 1/2 weeks in late August and early September house-sitting in Las Vegas) it does seem that folks do tend to lock themselves inside during the summer. Personally though I have to say I find that so very odd - I mean, why live in such a place if you are going to lock yourself inside all the time (maybe they just come out in the cooler months)? In any event we intend to spend a LOT of time outside - we'll have a covered patio of course, and did buy property at a bit higher elevation (4,200 ft) where the temps are bit cooler - that was a deliberate decision on our part in an effort to get the best of both worlds - sunny warm weather, but a bit cooler than the hottest areas. All in all though it is our intention TO be outside as much as possible - that is afterall why we chose to buy land down there.

As you mention, it all comes down to personal preference, but I personally enjoy warm weather and can do a WHOLE lot more outdoors in the hot sunny summer of Tucson than I can do outdoors in the cool rainy wnters up here in Seattle - or the brutal biting cold of either Michigan or (God forbid) North Dakota. Yeah, you can always put on more layers of clothes - but the point for me is that I Don't WANT TO have to do that.

Ken

Last edited by LordBalfor; 09-24-2007 at 11:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2007, 11:08 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBaroo View Post
Maybe all those unemployed people up in Michigan could start digging the ditch from the Great Lakes to Arizona. We could use the water and they could use the jobs.
Tooooooo funny!

Ken

Old 09-24-2007, 11:31 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Maybe all those unemployed people up in Michigan could start digging the ditch from the Great Lakes to Arizona. We could use the water and they could use the jobs.
It does sound like a good, mutually-beneficial deal!

Old 09-24-2007, 01:58 PM

86 posts, read 267,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
D.C. ??? Are you kidding me???? I lived in Michigan and its much colder, and I can tell you this once its 100 degrees outside you can't do anything, let alone the intensity of the sunlight, so from May to September or October its too hot to do anything.

Plus when you're outside in the heat you always need a layer on to protect your skin from the sun, which is more insulation that makes you sweat more and need more water. Cold weather.... a little more insulation and you're fine, and you won't get so dehydrated that it will kill you.

My gf's brother lives in Boston and shares the same sentiment as me.

Again its all personal preference but when it comes to temperature, to me its common sense, and again too many people live out in this desert for what it supports.

Some of us can't put on _enough_ clothes to stay warm. I do feel really bad for you that you hate it there--just like everything else, you are trying to get out and i am trying to get in! LOL!!

I lived in Central VA for a while, it gets pretty cold there at times, just doesn't last as long and the sun does come out... But the humid summers were definitely worse than when I visited AZ in July.

Old 09-24-2007, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutha1105 View Post
just like everything else, you are trying to get out and i am trying to get in! LOL!!
He-he, good ol' pueblo fits the definition of marriage.

Old 09-24-2007, 09:07 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rutha1105 View Post
Some of us can't put on _enough_ clothes to stay warm. I do feel really bad for you that you hate it there--just like everything else, you are trying to get out and i am trying to get in! LOL!!

I lived in Central VA for a while, it gets pretty cold there at times, just doesn't last as long and the sun does come out... But the humid summers were definitely worse than when I visited AZ in July.
You nailed it in a nutshell------line for line

Old 09-24-2007, 09:23 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
NO NO NO

Michigan has enough problems without having their tourism industry and tourism based economy collapse. The lake levels in Superior and Huron are already in a decline. The water from the Great Lakes should never have a large scale diversion. Arizona and the southwest will just have to adapt and adjust to lower population growth sooner rather than later.

Old 09-24-2007, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
NO NO NO

Michigan has enough problems without having their tourism industry and tourism based economy collapse. The lake levels in Superior and Huron are already in a decline. The water from the Great Lakes should never have a large scale diversion. Arizona and the southwest will just have to adapt and adjust to lower population growth sooner rather than later.
He-he, supply and demand, Plains10. Folks wanna live in the sun. If we happen to need more water, we'll just take it! Aren't we good Americans after all... Besides, pretty soon Michigan aint' gonna have any problems. Just like Comrade Stalin used to say - no man, no problem!

Old 09-24-2007, 09:47 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
NO NO NO

Don't worry about it. I don't think pumping water over the continental divide is ever going to make economic sense. Look closer to home. For example, I would be more concerned about Texas' water needs. The Edwards aquifer and the region dependent on it is in far worse shape than Arizona is. In fact, in Phoenix at least, there is ample water for many decades for a population several times larger than the current population. Not all of AZ is so lucky, and future needs will increasingly be met by "recycled" water, retiring of farm land, and conservation. There have been ideas floated from time to time to tap the Columbia, but that is politically and economically unlikely for some time, at least.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 09-24-2007 at 09:58 PM..

Old 09-24-2007, 09:57 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
He-he, supply and demand, Plains10. Folks wanna live in the sun. If we happen to need more water, we'll just take it! Aren't we good Americans after all... Besides, pretty soon Michigan aint' gonna have any problems. Just like Comrade Stalin used to say - no man, no problem!
I don't know that the SW will take the water, but the future of water is that it is going to be traded world-wide as a commodity like oil. Water is considered the ultimate commodity because its use is not optional. Already, the big money guys are into buying water rights and there is a water index much like the Dow. The richest nations and the wealthiest areas will be able to afford water while the poorer ones will lose economic power and influence (and water).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson