U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 01:07 AM

2 posts, read 3,936 times

Advertisements

I am a 29 year old female who is relocating to the area in July. I'll be working about 20 miles outside of Tucson (Three Points), but would like to live in Tucson. I have been looking into places in West Tucson and NW Tucson, and am hoping someone here has some advice!

I am looking for a 1b/1b apartment or house in a safe area (where I don't have to worry about my car getting broken into). Somewhere quiet-ish would be nice-- where there are not too many partying college kids. $800/month is the most I can pay. I know a relatively lengthy commute is inevitable...

Thanks in advance for your help!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 01:09 AM

70 posts, read 194,975 times
Good luck to you, and I'm so sorry I can't help you with that.

Old 05-22-2012, 05:08 AM

112 posts, read 249,532 times
Default Another relocation ? - West Tucson

Gosh, for what you are willing to pay in rent... Would you be able to purchase a house? You could potentially have a lower monthly mortgage payment than what you'd pay in rent and you'd have the tax advantage in owning. If you're not able to own at this time I'd try to save enough for a down-payment, make sure your credit score is in good order, and make it happen ASAP. I'm not a realtor or anything like that so, I'm not selling anything...just suggesting .

I researched the Tucson area pre-owned homes and found some really CHEAP homes and if you're willing to buy a foreclosure they're even cheaper (be prepared to do renovations). But then I looked at brand new construction homes. For me, it was less stressful to purchase a brand new construction home (clean it and claim it) and not deal with renovating (again) and it was cost effective. No matter what, I'd renovate any pre-owned home 'cause that's just me so, home purchase + renovating cost compared to brand new construction = buy new because prices are very low right now. If you bought pre-owned and couldn't afford to renovate now do it as you can afford to. But at least you'd have YOUR OWN HOME !!

Your commute time will be an important factor in your daily life. Get locked into a mortgage or lease and have a longgg commute time ~ ugh !! If you'll be working in Three Points, but want to live in Tucson... How about meeting in the middle? Check out Star Valley! Star Valley is about 25 minutes drive east of Three Points and 30 minutes from where I-10 and I-19 connect (basically the heart of Tucson...or at least a good pin-point to determine distance).

Whatever your decision, you're doing your homework and that is a good thing !!

Old 05-22-2012, 07:44 AM

444 posts, read 1,266,302 times
Look at Tucson Estates. I know people who have moved out there and they seem to like it. You should be able to find something relatively nice (probably a house) for $800 per month. The downside is that there's very little to do out there except for outdoor activities. For instance, it's very close to Saguaro National Park, the Desert Museum and the hiking trails in Tucson Mountain Park. But there are 2-3 restaurants in that area and no real "supermarket" (there's a market though).
There are a number of developments closer to Valencia Road that should be in your price range as well, because they're so far outside of the city.
If you want something closer in to the city though, then I'm sorry to say that you will likely only be able to afford a fairly nice 2-bedroom apartment or a small townhouse.
$800 for a 1/1 apartment pretty much anywhere except right by UA or Downtown is a rip-off though.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:47 AM

5,037 posts, read 8,595,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finernfrogfur View Post
Gosh, for what you are willing to pay in rent... Would you be able to purchase a house? You could potentially have a lower monthly mortgage payment than what you'd pay in rent and you'd have the tax advantage in owning. If you're not able to own at this time I'd try to save enough for a down-payment, make sure your credit score is in good order, and make it happen ASAP. I'm not a realtor or anything like that so, I'm not selling anything...just suggesting .

I researched the Tucson area pre-owned homes and found some really CHEAP homes and if you're willing to buy a foreclosure they're even cheaper (be prepared to do renovations). But then I looked at brand new construction homes. For me, it was less stressful to purchase a brand new construction home (clean it and claim it) and not deal with renovating (again) and it was cost effective. No matter what, I'd renovate any pre-owned home 'cause that's just me so, home purchase + renovating cost compared to brand new construction = buy new because prices are very low right now. If you bought pre-owned and couldn't afford to renovate now do it as you can afford to. But at least you'd have YOUR OWN HOME !!

Your commute time will be an important factor in your daily life. Get locked into a mortgage or lease and have a longgg commute time ~ ugh !! If you'll be working in Three Points, but want to live in Tucson... How about meeting in the middle? Check out Star Valley! Star Valley is about 25 minutes drive east of Three Points and 30 minutes from where I-10 and I-19 connect (basically the heart of Tucson...or at least a good pin-point to determine distance).

Whatever your decision, you're doing your homework and that is a good thing !!
First of all, everyone's immediate goal in life is not to own a house. Some people just don't want the commitment, maintenance, and/or expense, which can be great. One has to be willing and able to do things from yard maintenance to changing a washer, (or be willing to pay for someone to come in and do these things), as well as have extra funds already saved for air conditioner repairs, roof repairs, water heater repairs, etc. Paying a mortgage amount that is the same as a rental amount is not an even-steven deal.

Secondly, EVERYONE relocating and brand new to an area should consider renting first, to get the true lay of the land, before making such a huge investment as a house purchase.

The OP is asking for advice on where to rent.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
First of all, everyone's immediate goal in life is not to own a house. Some people just don't want the commitment, maintenance, and/or expense, which can be great. One has to be willing and able to do things from yard maintenance to changing a washer, (or be willing to pay for someone to come in and do these things), as well as have extra funds already saved for air conditioner repairs, roof repairs, water heater repairs, etc. Paying a mortgage amount that is the same as a rental amount is not an even-steven deal.

Secondly, EVERYONE relocating and brand new to an area should consider renting first, to get the true lay of the land, before making such a huge investment as a house purchase.

The OP is asking for advice on where to rent.

Whoa there CheyDee!! Which side of the cactus did you wake up on??

Perhaps you should re-read my (original) reply after you've had a chance to pull them thar prickly cactus needles out. Operative words being... "just suggesting " as in something to think about.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:51 AM

5,037 posts, read 8,595,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finernfrogfur View Post
Whoa there CheyDee!! Which side of the cactus did you wake up on??

Perhaps you should re-read my (original) reply after you've had a chance to pull them thar prickly cactus needles out. Operative words being... "just suggesting " as in something to think about.
Reading two entire paragraphs unrelated to the topic, (and including a poor suggestion), is a complete waste of everyone's time.

In fact, so is this back-and-forth between us, so I won't say anymore about it. You get the point. (I hope.)

Old 05-22-2012, 02:47 PM

2 posts, read 3,936 times
Finernfrogfur -- I thank you for your input. Purchasing a house is definitely something that is an eventual goal. For now I am going to rent a place-- and then determine where and when to purchase a home. Thank you for your suggestions! You are right, commuting is going to end up being a big part of my daily life as much as I want to downplay it...

Coatimundi- Thanks for the Tucson Estates suggestion. I am definitely going to look into this part of Tucson.

I came across The Place at Canyon Ridge http://www.theplaceatcanyonridge.com...amenities.html which looks to be in the area. Has anyone heard anything about this place? I think it just opened.

Old 05-22-2012, 04:20 PM

444 posts, read 1,266,302 times
That's a big college student area. Don't believe me? Google "starr pass pool party" and watch the video. The place where that was filmed is next door to this apartment you're linking.
And, anyway, >$700 for a 1/1? Absolutely not!

Old 05-23-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SapaG View Post
Finernfrogfur -- I thank you for your input. Purchasing a house is definitely something that is an eventual goal. For now I am going to rent a place-- and then determine where and when to purchase a home. Thank you for your suggestions! You are right, commuting is going to end up being a big part of my daily life as much as I want to downplay it...

Coatimundi- Thanks for the Tucson Estates suggestion. I am definitely going to look into this part of Tucson.

I came across The Place at Canyon Ridge Tucson Arizona Rentals - AMENITIES - The Place at Canyon Ridge which looks to be in the area. Has anyone heard anything about this place? I think it just opened.

Hi SapaG, Glad you liked my 'suggestion' and that it's something you want to work towards . If I hear of something I think you might be interested in I'll give a shout your way. Wishing you good luck in finding the perfect place for YOU!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson