Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 03:38 PM

986 posts, read 2,808,128 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Tucson in less that a year. I would prefer to put our daughter in catholic school. Can anyone guide me in that direction. My son lives in Tucson. He tells me the northwest area is a good place to be. Are there Catholic schools in that area? I can not wait to be out of N.J.!!!
Thanks M and D from N.J.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2006, 09:01 AM

8 posts, read 82,830 times
I am not Catholic, but I teach at a private school, so most of my knowledge comes from my students and other teachers.

There is one Catholic school in the NW area, and I think maybe a 2nd. Immaculate Heart is a very small school. I think St. Augustine might be in the vicinity of the NW, but I'm not sure. Salpointe is a large Catholic high school much closer to mid-town, but it is so large that it has many of the problems that a public school has. I would guess that a Catholic school here is quite different from a Catholic school in NJ. Most Catholics here are hispanic, and I doubt that is the case in NJ, so there are probably cultural differences.

Old 11-06-2006, 10:35 AM

163 posts, read 824,444 times
Milliebfit. There is a catholic grammer school here in the northwest area, I know because I saw the kids and talked to the Mom at the store. Can't recall the name of the school. However the Mom did tell me the tuition was high.
I also could not wait to escape N.J.. I would not move back to N.J.
But please don't think that Arizona is without a lot of problems .
If I were you I would visit here in July and August, if you don't mind that time of year here you will like the weather.
Personally I am missing some cooler weather, don't want bitter cold, but its November and its in the 80's, I know that sounds wonderful now, but you may tire of it
If you are truly serious about find the catholic school, I could do a little searching for you.
Depending on what area you live in some of the public schools are fine, all the neighbors who have kids go to public schools.
I would not want to send kids to the Tucson public schools, just my opinion.
Take Care.

Old 11-06-2006, 02:02 PM

tucsondesertdweller-- My sister lives in Goodyear AZ. She has lived in Az about 10 years. We have been in AZ for all the different weather times. (april,Nov, July and august) I was just there in aug. to visit my son. I know it gets pretty hot. I finally found immaculate heart school. I put her on the waiting list. We are coming out in a couple of weeks and we are going to take a look at some schools. I want to thank you for your help.

Old 11-14-2006, 05:15 PM

218 posts, read 1,487,051 times
If you are open to other Christian campuses, there are two options in the northwest area you might want to consider and visit:

1. Pusche Ridge Christian Academy www.prca-tucson.org gr.6-12, in Oro Valley on Oracle Rd. (presbyterian, conservative)

2. Redeemer Lutheran School www.redeemertucson.org gr. K-8, in Marana (Wisconsin Synod Lutheran, conservative)

Last edited by Idaho; 11-14-2006 at 05:17 PM.. Reason: add URL addresses

Old 11-14-2006, 07:32 PM

Idaho... Thanks I will look at there web sites.

Old 11-15-2006, 04:34 PM

You're welcome.

Thought of another, that I think goes to about grade 8:
Not 100% sure of the name, but I think it's called Desert Rose Academy.
There are always the charter schools too, like Sonoran Science Academy, and Greenfields Day School - but none are specifically Catholic or Christian oriented.
All are generally in the northwest Tuscon area. A google search can get you to any of their websites.

Good luck! Educating our children in these times is more frustrating than ever.
The public schools are sure trying, but .......

Let us know what you find out & which school you choose.

Old 11-15-2006, 07:28 PM

548 posts, read 2,647,800 times
Immaculate Heart is very strong academically. It is small, so you'd need to be OK with that, but it is an excellent school. Someone above suggested most Catholics in Tucson are Hispanic...there are many Catholics in Tucson who are not Hispanic as well, and Immaculate Heart is in no way disproportionately Hispanic..

The other Catholic school in the NW is St. Elizabeth. This is a newer school than Immaculate Heart and also has a very good reputation. Worth checking into as well.

Tuition is not high at either of them. Or I guess I should say, it's not high compared to non-Catholic private schools. The other good private schools in the area are about $12,000-$15,000/year....so the Catholic schools are a bargain in comparison, as long as you are Christian. You do have to be able to show your child was baptized to attend (they do not have to be baptized Catholic, but they have to have been baptized).

Pusch Ridge believes very strongly in evangelism, so if that's your thing, I've heard it's good. That's exactly why we wouldn't consider it, but we had neighbors who believe in evangelism and missionaries and they loved it.

Old 11-15-2006, 08:23 PM

maimounakande... thankyou so much! it is just the information I wanted to hear about Immaculate Heart. We are coming to tucson to look at homes dec.7th. we have an app. dec 8th at the school. There is a waiting list. They told me that I may have an advantage to get our daughter in the school because we are catholic and she is in catholic school here in NJ. So we are keeping our fingers crossed!! Is there a catholic church connected with the school?

Old 11-18-2006, 10:07 PM

Oh yes! Immaculate Heart! They do have a great rep!
(and really great rummage sales)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson