U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2012, 08:43 PM

9 posts, read 17,303 times

Advertisements

I live in NYC and am thinking of moving to Arizona...preferrably Tucson. I was curious as to what areas to check out versus which ones not to. Im looking for something quiet, safe and convenient to public transportation. I dont want to have to purchase a car for a while if possible. Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 10:59 PM

484 posts, read 932,622 times
What price range?

Old 05-26-2012, 12:02 AM

8,873 posts, read 15,618,861 times
It's very difficult to live in Tucson without a car. Public transportation only covers certain areas and is limited in the time it runs. When it's 100 degrees, which it was all this week, it's hard to walk far if you're not acclimatized to the heat. Services like grocery stores tend to be in outlying areas convenient to cars. There are some people who get by with bicycles and people too poor to have cars must make do. But the vast majority of Tucsonans are very car-dependent.

Old 05-26-2012, 06:49 AM

112 posts, read 257,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
It's very difficult to live in Tucson without a car. Public transportation only covers certain areas and is limited in the time it runs. When it's 100 degrees, which it was all this week, it's hard to walk far if you're not acclimatized to the heat. Services like grocery stores tend to be in outlying areas convenient to cars. There are some people who get by with bicycles and people too poor to have cars must make do. But the vast majority of Tucsonans are very car-dependent.
Ditto that Jukesgrrl!! I'm hoping the bus/light rail will expand their service area to my neighborhood, but not holding my breath it'll be anytime soon. Do you want to be in Tucson or outskirts? Check out the west side of I-19 as housing is more reasonably priced compared to the slightly higher east side of I-10.

Check out this thread: Tucson light rail map?

Old 05-26-2012, 11:05 AM

9,556 posts, read 30,195,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdfredericks View Post
I live in NYC and am thinking of moving to Arizona...preferrably Tucson. I was curious as to what areas to check out versus which ones not to. Im looking for something quiet, safe and convenient to public transportation. I dont want to have to purchase a car for a while if possible. Thanks.
Interesting request, MD . . .

In all of my travel / living experiences around this country, there have been very few cities where vehicle ownership has been considered more of a burden or inconvenience than a necessity . . . New York, Boston and San Francisco come to mind.

With that being stated, I live near the Tucson Mall and although I own a couple of vehicles, I walk or ride my bike for most of my errands except for maybe big grocery hauls. Sure it gets hot here but no hotter than New York (factoring in the humidity) but rarely, if ever, does it get too hot or too cold to walk or bike as long as one avoids the peak heat of the afternoon during June, July and August. The options for eating, drinking, shopping and banking as well as the Rillito Trail are all within a block or two.

As for the bus system Welcome to Sun Tran - Tucson, Arizona, my personal knowledge is very limited but they sure seem to be everywhere and there's a "station" a little over a block away.

GOOD LUCK

Old 05-29-2012, 10:34 AM

25 posts, read 55,224 times
Suntran seems to cover quite a lot of area, and during the day, many of the routes seem to have busses pass by every 20-30 minutes or so. That's better than my city Brockton, some 20 miles south of Boston, where it's every 20-25 minutes during rush hours, but 50 minutes during the rest of the day or after afternoon rush. Admittedly, even many Suntran routes run less frequently at night, but I'd hope to never need to go out after 6 at all if I can avoid it.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:43 PM

15 posts, read 18,547 times
I'm also a NYC transplant and would recommend the Eastside for easy access to transportation and shopping along with Churches and entertainment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: