Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 07:05 PM

10 posts, read 20,008 times

Advertisements

My husband and I moved to Tucson from the Midwest a few months ago. We haven't really ventured out much yet. We're not used to living in a city as we both come from smaller towns, so we've been a little timid about setting off on any adventures. We're looking for some suggestions on things we could do for a few hours here and there. We live on the East side. I'm 32 weeks pregnant so nothing too physical I'm not really used to this heat! We'd like to start close by, so nothing that requires too much driving. Preferably not too expensive either. Even nice parks would be great! I'm up for any suggestions though. Including restaurants and such.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 12:25 AM

1,429 posts, read 2,419,732 times
Reddington Pass out off Tanque Verde is pretty nice. Sabino Canyon has a tram you could ride along on and take in the desert scenery.
I used to like the Shish Kabob House on Broadway Blvd. - they have an amazing dish called Ouzi (Jordanian rice dish) that is unbeatable.
Mi Nidito has some of the best Mexican food in the nation -Cocido soup/Flauta's/Machaca Chimichanga Enchilada style with a side of sour cream.
Guillermo's L&L has the best Topopo's/Chili con carne/Flauta's/Chimi's too!
Not kidding...
That is a good start.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:10 AM

112 posts, read 273,532 times
Default Things to do around Tucson

Kartchner Cavern is about 45 minutes east of Tucson. This would be something to do that is low-key. In the main building they have display cases of artifacts to look at, you can sit in the theater and watch a short video about how it all came about, and there's a gift shop. They have a shuttle tram that takes you from the main building to the cave entrance, which is a stone's throw away. Once inside the cave there is a little walking involved, but it's doable at your stage of pregnancy and at the height of the tour (to view Kubla) they have benches to sit on. However; should you feel the need they do have wheelchairs available.

My granddaughter and I give it the thumbs up !!

http://azstateparks.com/parks/kaca/

DIRECTIONS (from Tucson):
  • Take I-10 East to Benson
  • To Exit # 302 turn RIGHT (head South onto SR-90)
  • On SR-90 go about 7 miles (no more than 9)
  • DESTINATION ON RIGHT (West side of SR-90)

Last edited by finernfrogfur; 06-07-2012 at 02:22 AM..

Old 06-07-2012, 02:16 PM

1,024 posts, read 2,748,035 times
There is a previous thread on us locals favorite places to eat in the Tucson area you might find helpful.
//www.city-data.com/forum/tucso...staurants.html

Old 06-08-2012, 05:27 PM

Thanks guys!

Old 06-08-2012, 10:21 PM

100 posts, read 177,089 times
There is an interesting, little known free park called Aqua Caliente. It is secret (well, not-exactly) hot spring, but you can't go in the water. There was a small art gallery and bird watching walks last time I was there, but maybe not in the summer. It's off Soldier's Trail in the Northeast part of town. Plans are to fix it up more. You can drive to it and enjoy shade and water.Also, there is a closer dry cave, Colossal Cave, and if you don't want to go there, head instead to an air conditioned free museum at Rancho Quemada that shows you what they found in the cave. Maybe Colossal Cave links to Kartchner, no one knows.

Old 06-09-2012, 01:19 AM

112 posts, read 273,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roli View Post
There is an interesting, little known free park called Aqua Caliente. It is secret (well, not-exactly) hot spring, but you can't go in the water. There was a small art gallery and bird watching walks last time I was there, but maybe not in the summer. It's off Soldier's Trail in the Northeast part of town. Plans are to fix it up more. You can drive to it and enjoy shade and water.Also, there is a closer dry cave, Colossal Cave, and if you don't want to go there, head instead to an air conditioned free museum at Rancho Quemada that shows you what they found in the cave. Maybe Colossal Cave links to Kartchner, no one knows.
I hadn't heard of Colossal Cave. Hey, we enjoyed Kartchner Caverns so let's check out this new cave. Oh, oh! In all of their cave tours they mention you'll have to "climb and clamber" and "scale objects". Not so sure an 8 month pregnant woman would be able to handle that, but maybe after the pregnancy. Kartchner Caverns IS walkable (or wheelchair) for the OP though.

Oh hey, I see that Colossal Cave has lots of other things to do!! There's bird and butterfly watching, tortoise exhibit, picnics, etc. These things would make it worth a "go see". Don't think I can climb and clamber anymore, but for these other things to do I think we'll put this place on our "go see" list!!

Old 06-09-2012, 11:08 AM

100 posts, read 177,089 times
There are stairs, fairly steep, in Colossal. I'm a big chicken, but it wasn't that bad even as a kid years ago. It is not flat, but I think the climbing and clambering is minimal. Colossal Cave was developed during the Depression and CCC workers lived there. At the Rancho Quemada part you can see a small cabin showing how they lived. There is a rail line there for the ranch. An interesting display shows the extent of a hidden wet cave lying under Colossal Cave. It has been explored, somewhat, and is kept in a capped, unopened condition to preserve it. Also, some goofy horror movie was filmed in this location!

Old 06-10-2012, 12:02 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
Two stress-free and easy adventures for newcomers. First, the incredible San Xavier del Bac Mission. It's beautifully restored, has an amazing interior, and is crucially important to the settlement of Southern Arizona. So it's great from a historic, artistic, and/or geographic standpoint. Only nine miles away from Tucson's center city and an easy freeway drive. Plenty of pews to sit in when you need a rest. Morning is the time to visit for the 45-minute docent tour, which is well worth your time and FREE. Here's a website that gives you the day-to-day tour schedule:
VisitPatronato Mission San Xavier del Bac

My second suggestion: head to Ina Road (near Oracle) in the northwest suburb to see the #1 place I take tourists, Tohono Chul Park. It's one the world's great botanical gardens and a way to get up close with the unusual landscape of the Sonoran Desert. You can visit the beautiful gardens or hike a trail if you feel like it (low admission fee). The park also features a greenhouse so you can take some desert plants home if you care to; a wonderful shop that contains the work of real regional artists (not tourist junk) as well as gardening and cooking info, books, and maps; and a good restaurant with lovely indoor seating if it's too hot for one of the shady patios. It's a great introduction to desert flora in a charming setting. I got a lot of the plants I put in my yard at the Tohono Chul greenhouse.
Tohono Chul Park

Old 06-11-2012, 01:10 AM

I'm looking into all of these as they sound exactly like the kinds of things we'd love to do. Thanks everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson