Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 09:29 PM

205 posts, read 729,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katmt63 View Post
Hi Tom,
I found this link and read your message with interest. My husband and I are planning a move in Sept 2014. Did you make the move and if so, how do you like it?

Kat
Kat,

Just saw your question so sorry about the late response. Yes, we made the move and you couldn't drag me back to the east coast for love nor money. Tucson in general and Sunflower in particular, have been a perfect fit for us. The community itself is as active as you want it to be or as unobtrusive as some might desire. We tend to take advantage of a lot of different activities and have made a lot of new and interesting friends. More teachers and Phd's living here than I would have ever imagined and it makes for interesting dialogue. Plus, absolutely no one I've met has any pretensions whatsoever - I think the theory is that by this age, you no longer need to impress anyone. We even have a best selling author living here but you would never know it if you weren't familiar with her work.

As to Tucson in general - it's ideal for us. It's funny because I just drove back from the east coast to bring our last car out here (wanted to see my mom back there anyway which is why I didn't ship it) and all along the route, I kept comparing medium/large cities to Tucson and could not come up with a one that would entice me away. I know you can't tell much from an interstate drive by but just the fact that traffic was much worse in most areas was enough to write an area off.

We love the culture here, have become supporting members of the symphony, go to the Fox theater a LOT, go to a lot of the street fair events downtown and have really adopted a new outdoor attitude. My wife is now a hiker and I've become a bicyclist. Plus, I've always flown R/C aircraft and there are several good clubs here that I've joined.

Granted we're out from the city proper but I just don't see crime as a big issue here, at least not from what they choose to televise. I was half afraid of drug gang gun battles in the streets but have seen none of that and while I'm sure drugs crossing the border is a huge issue, I suspect once they get this far, they keep going to get as far away from the border patrol as possible.

It's not utopia though. There are sections of Tucson proper that are rundown and support an element that I'd prefer not to be around. Development of the area has been hodgepodge as apparently the long term planning and master planning are brand new concepts to both the town and the Pima county. The whole employment thing bothers me a lot even though we're retired. With a little work, I think Tucson has a LOT to offer companies, not the least of which is a potentially well educated workforce with a much lower labor cost. Oh, and I still haven't figured out the whole concept behind the coming streetcar but I'm trying

Obviously the southwest isn't for everyone. Yes, it's a DRY heat but 108 degrees is HOT no matter what. Rattlesnakes, lizards, javelinas, bobcats, coyotes are indigenous to the region and you will encounter them. Except for the rattlesnakes, the rest of the critters will avoid you at all costs. Rattlesnakes are a bit more stubborn, seeming to claim a spot and expecting you to avoid them which I'm more than glad to do. Regular insect control is a must - once a month is the norm and seems to keep all the stinging and biting pests at bay.

Tom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 11:22 AM

604 posts, read 933,904 times
As we prepare to visit Tucson retirement communities from our home in MN I've been watching daily weather in the area. Seems SunFlower may be one of the warmer locations compared to SCOV, Saddlebrook, Rancho Del Lago. I like the info Tom gives us here and we're going to check it out on our whirlwind tour but wonder if the other locations might be more (weather) comfortable living year round.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:56 PM

7 posts, read 57,506 times
Gene,
In the Southern Arizona area elevation above sea level does make a big difference. Rancho Del Lago and Saddlebrooke are higher in elevation than Tucson proper and Marana, hence somewhere around 5 degrees cooler on average. Sierra Vista, further south tends to be cooler as well. The cooler year round temperature will make for some cool to cold nights in the winter (depending on your definition of cold.)

Old 05-06-2014, 05:05 PM

59 posts, read 147,656 times
What a great thread. So much great information right here. Thanks everyone.

I live in Oro Valley and it is, by elevation, cooler than Tucson and Phoenix. And we get some cool nights in the winter months and our heat ran for months. We didn't have much of a monsoon in 2013 so we're hoping that we'll get some more rain on this side of town.
We saw the rain but got very very little of it. Sadly.
Our water bill is high and if you end up in Oro Valley, you will pay more for water than Tucson Water customers (from what I've been told). For May 2014, our water bill was $175.00. We have grass (sadly) and a big yard with landscaping, flowers, bushes and trees that need water and a pool. I just wanted to mention that if you have a pool, expect higher water bills too. And we were gone for a week on vacation!
Good Luck!

Old 05-07-2014, 10:59 AM

Thanks LittleGirly. When we settle there will be no pool. We had a hot tub once thinking of romantic Minnesota winter evenings soaking in a steaming tub on the deck. The bloom went off that rose fast with all the required maintenance and PH balance, etc. NO THANKS. Don't want the work. I also have no interest in grass (or mowing). Maybe a few potted plants, cacti and that's about it.

Old 05-28-2014, 11:26 AM

2 posts, read 6,192 times
Tom,

Thanks for your reply. We are convinced the Sunflower will be our home beginning in September. We will fly in in August to buy a house. Thank you for all the information!

Kat

Old 05-29-2014, 03:15 AM

3,328 posts, read 2,268,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneR View Post
Thanks LittleGirly. When we settle there will be no pool. We had a hot tub once thinking of romantic Minnesota winter evenings soaking in a steaming tub on the deck. The bloom went off that rose fast with all the required maintenance and PH balance, etc. NO THANKS. Don't want the work. I also have no interest in grass (or mowing). Maybe a few potted plants, cacti and that's about it.
I'm in the far east Phoenix area but I like reading different threads around the state, and I echo your thoughts on pools, lawns, etc. Everyone told me when I bought my first home in 2004 that I should get a pool, fountain, a jacuzzi, a gazebo, a statue...sheesh, you'd have thought I should have an amusement park installed!

It's not that my property is really big--it isn't. But my home is a two-bedroom so with a smaller home, I have a little larger yard plus it backs up to an easement so it extends a little further out.

All I could think of when someone would suggest yet another item was "ka-ching, ka-ching, ka-ching" as the price in my head went up, up and up.

I don't have a lawn, a pool, or anything other than some neat desert plants (no cacti) that have really pretty flowers and a Palo Verde tree (I lost two trees in a monsoon) which also is really pretty in the Spring, and a little meandering minus-material walkway with concrete curbing, and rocks. It is my mini botanical garden, and I enjoy sitting on the 'lawn' swing at night (especially in Summer) watching the sky.

I know for a lot of folks a pool is essential, but I have never once regretted *not* having the pool, the lawn, etc.

Welcome to Arizona, and good luck in your new home when you finally arrive.

Old 06-03-2014, 05:07 AM

I will never have a spa (hot tub) again. Had one here in MN at a previous home and spent time and money always trying to balance the PH and keep the water clear. Way too much maintenance! I can't imagine how much time it takes to keep a pool in good shape!

Old 06-18-2014, 05:17 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,120,376 times
Attn:.....GeneR...............I'll be REAL anxious to read your post(s) after you return to MN after your "tour" of places to possibly settle down in AZ.

From 2004 to 2010, I spent approx 24 months, spread over those 7 years -mostly during the winter time-, but also tried June & July just once. Was looking for someplace that MIGHT be suitable for me to consider moving to. After working 40 years. I retired in 1994 and being widowed about 10 years later, I thought I'd like to get some place with better winter time weather. I rented a furnished house in places like Oro Valley twice, Mesa, Tucson twice, Casa Grande, Sedona and Camp Verde.....none of those places convinced me that I'd be happy finishing out my life down there (even considering that I'd be spending June July & August up here in MT at my daughter's place.)... I also spent some time in the Sonoita area south of Tucson........now that area ( Sonoita and 15 miles or so in any direction) is much more desirable (cooler, hardly any cactus, great views)
for me, than any of the other areas mentioned. I am not a golfer, I still do bird (quail) hunting, I don't want somebody living close by me (I like about a minimum of 5 acres).....at this point in my life I like peace and quite, privacy, don't want a bunch of neighborhood noise etc,etc. and yet it's close to Tucson and Casa Grande.

If you can do it....I'd suggest you check out the Sonoita area...............Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson