Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 06:05 PM

69 posts, read 215,090 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Tucson this summer and am not bringing much with me. When I arrive, I will need to buy essentially everything I need to live. However, I don't need anything super nice or durable, as I will only be in town for a year or two and will donate everything when I leave.

Can anyone recommend any stores that sell cheap housewares? I need everything - kitchen, bath, bedroom, etc. etc. etc. - and a "one stop shop" would be ideal. I have been planning on Walmart, Target, and dollar stores, but maybe there are some other local stores that you guys can suggest.

Thanks so much for any suggestions!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 06:52 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,219,847 times
One of my fav stores is Big Lots, but it's hit or miss what you'll find there at any given time. You should be able to get most/all of the things on your list in one trip though.

Old 06-22-2012, 11:37 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
It would be worth the price of gas to go to IKEA in Chandler. Or if you're flying here via Phoenix's Sky Harbor Airport you can stop on the way to Tucson. It's at the Warner Road exit as you go east to Tucson on I-10 (you can see it from the interstate). (IKEA's address is Tempe, but it really seems more like Chandler to me.)

In addition to house and patio furniture they also have rugs, lamps (I have a couple of great light fixtures I bought there), bedding, towels, shower curtains, office stuff, storage pieces, wall art, live plants, and even energy-efficient lightbulbs by the box.

To give you an idea of prices, I bought a microwave plate cover a couple of weeks ago at Walmart for $3. The same item at IKEA is $1.29. Just in kitchen wares alone they have everything from potholders to salad spinners to silverware. Sample prices: 18-piece set of stoneware dishes $25; drinking glasses $1 each; 7-piece set of pots and pans $40; glass baking dishes (like your mother's Pyrex) $3-5; big roasting pan for lasagne or a turkey $10. You might get better quality combing thrift stores for weeks, but the prices would be about the same.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/

If you'd prefer used items and don't have time for thrift shops, I highly recommend the estate sales put on by a Tucson company called "The Girls." Every Saturday they have two on-site sales in Tucson (summer hours 7 am to 3 pm, with prices lowered at 11 am and 2 pm). Check out their website at the link I put below. Click on the link "Sales This Week" and you can even see photos to give you an idea of what can be found at each house. Be prepared for the fact that these sales are very popular and sometimes people line up way before 7 am, if the photos revealed some treasures. Note that unlike IKEA's clean and modern look, most of these houses were outfitted by grandmas. The Girls sell out the places from ceiling to floor, sometimes even the house itself and/or the cars in the garage. Items that are left unsold are moved to a shop that's located at 3728 E. Grant Road, Tucson 85716. There's a link for the store on their website, too.
http://www.thegirlsestatesales.com/index.php

Good luck on your move to Tucson!

Last edited by Jukesgrrl; 06-23-2012 at 12:13 AM.. Reason: added links

Old 06-23-2012, 12:26 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,568,915 times
You might also try any of the Goodwill Outlet stores. They're also hit or miss, but if you don't mind used things in pretty good condition, they're a good deal.

Store Locations

Shop Goodwill.com - Goodwill of Southern Arizona

Another place is Beacon's Value Village at 2700 N. Stone. It's a donated goods store, too.

Old 06-23-2012, 11:25 AM

69 posts, read 215,090 times
I am mostly interested in new I think, although I may be looking for a used desk and table so thanks!

Old 06-23-2012, 04:22 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nambis View Post
I am mostly interested in new I think, although I may be looking for a used desk and table so thanks!
For my money (which is to say not much), IKEA also has the best value in utilitarian desks. They have some that are regular style. FREDRIK Desk - birch effect/silver color - IKEA

But there are also many opportunities to make a completely custom desk because the desk tops and legs (or other supports such as drawer units or legs) are sold separately. Although you do need a drill to assemble those.

Old 06-23-2012, 05:11 PM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
I have three possibilities, Nambis . . .

1) Pier 1 Unique Home Décor, Furniture, Gifts, and More | Pier 1 Imports

2) Cost Plus World Market Furniture, Home Decor, Food & Wine, Gifts | World Market

3) Bed Bath & Beyond www.bedbathandbeyond.com

Good Luck

Old 06-24-2012, 07:24 AM

101 posts, read 247,700 times
I would also recommend Home Goods. They are sort of like the TJMax of housewares having anything and everything from dishes and silverware to bath and bedding, home decor and some furniture. The invitory changes all the time though but they are pretty reasonably priced and better qaulity than say Walmart.

I also agree with the poster that recommended Big Lots but again they can be a hit or miss due to ever changing inventory.

Old 06-24-2012, 07:59 AM

4,235 posts, read 14,056,700 times
though it's an international chain and not in Tucson, I also think a trip to the Tucson side of Phoenix to visit IKEA is a very good idea...they have it all....allow a few hours and get used to the layout of the store to facilitate shopping....the large "market" area is the place to grab the basics and they do have it all.....

Old 06-25-2012, 06:48 PM

2 posts, read 4,435 times
If you need everything, it's not a bad idea to look at furniture stores such as Sam levitz as well. They tend to be pricey, but when I was doing shopping after recently purchasing a home, I found that summer in Tucson means massive sales at these stores. For example, I got a king sized bed (memory foam), mem foam pillows, box springs, and nice frame for 1/3 retail price due to the sale and getting mismatched mattress and springs. As others have mentioned Ikea is a great opine, as well. If you are looking for a simple desk, target and walmart can also have good opions. Sadly, my answer is really to shop around and prioritize. You may be able to live without a coffee table for a couple months until you find a good deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson