Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 08:50 PM

484 posts, read 970,029 times

Advertisements

I suggest driving north of the university on Mountian and check out the side streets for rentals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 06:08 AM

205 posts, read 572,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
IMPORTANT:

If you are renting a car at the Tucson "International" Airport, make SURE the rental company knows that your flight is, as you said above, "arriving around midnight." Most airport accommodations in this famously "laid-back" town close up shop around 9 p.m. I've arrived at 11 p.m. and seen not a single employee save a cleaning person with a broom. I don't know what practices the various car rental companies have in effect for picking up a car after their manned counters close, but make sure you clear that with them when you make a reservation. It could be something rather complicated, such as you have to take a particular shuttle bus to a particular off-site parking facility and present a particular kind of paperwork.

I'll chime in on a couple of your other questions later when I have more time. Until then, have a safe flight.
I have found this too, but USUALLY (emphasis there) the bigger name companies are still open, at least on heavier travel days. Last time I landed in Tucson at 1230 and picked up my rental at 1am from either Hertz or Avis with no problems, and I saw a couple other agents from other companies there as well.

But again, will all depend on the day, and probably whether or not you have a reservation. That may be the ticket in order to keep someone there.

Another place to look for rental cars is when you book your flight, usually you can get a deal through the air carrier. I usually always fly southwest, and there discount is pretty big. Last time I was out I rented a car out of Tucson, returned it in Phoenix and had it for 9 days for $160 (no Insurance).

As to the OP, make sure you do get the insurance! New to the country and state, without your own auto insurance policy, you do not want to take any chances. The problem with that is the damn insurance daily rate is usually higher than the rental rate. For those of us that have insurance on our own personal vehicles, that policy covers you when you are in a rental car. The rental insurance is just an added backup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson