Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 11:33 PM

1,087 posts, read 3,515,864 times

Advertisements

The house I'm buying is in Rio Rico, but I'm temporarily living in Tucson, so I'm making frequent trips back and forth. Most of them just ask me if I'm an American citizen, but today I got really grilled. First they asked me the standard questions: Are you an American citizen, do you own this car, do you have anyone in the trunk, etc.

Then they started asking things that in my opinion are none of their business. Like, where did I go? I told them Rio Rico. They asked why was I there, and when I responded that I'm buying a house in Rio Rico, they wanted to know why I was buying a house there, do I have a job there or am I commuting to Tucson, what kind of job do I have? Really, I understand the need for border patrol but I went from one American town (Tucson) to another (Rio Rico). It's not like I even set foot in Mexico. Why the grilling about my job and home? Is anyone else running into this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 09:05 AM

484 posts, read 969,854 times
*don't forget to vote*

Old 07-17-2012, 05:09 PM

461 posts, read 1,313,272 times
A lot of drugs and illegal aliens are being smuggled north. They ask questions to see if you get nervous and/or have something to hide. A lot of people who are up to no good falter when answering and can't come up with lies quickly. I'm sure they will get used to seeing you and stop asking you. When I pull up, I say "U.S. citizen" and am usually always waved through. Occasionally, they ask a few more questions. Not a big deal.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:16 PM

57 posts, read 153,975 times
God bless and protect the border patrol

Old 07-17-2012, 05:30 PM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBroad View Post
God bless and protect the border patrol
AMEN, BuckeyeBroad.

Those guys put their lives on the line every single day dealing with the garbage that comes up I-19.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:40 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,056,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnp View Post
I'm making frequent trips back and forth.

hmmm....yeah, I'd start asking questions, too!!....

don't worry about it....random person to stop, new recruit practicing on you, and/or what the other posters said....small price to pay for some protection....and no question is "none of their business", by the way....living in Rio Rico, better get used to it....going from one American town to another doesn't explain anything (I've hiked right by crossers several times - and they were miles inside the States).....

Old 07-17-2012, 11:26 PM

1,087 posts, read 3,515,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jksn75 View Post
They ask questions to see if you get nervous and/or have something to hide. A lot of people who are up to no good falter when answering and can't come up with lies quickly.
Ok, that makes sense. Thanks.

Just to clarify, I'm not against having a border patrol. I realize these guys put their lives on the line and I appreciate what they do. I was just taken aback by questions that I thought were none of their business as long as I'm an American citizen, but I understand now why they asked me. Hopefully they'll recognize me eventually, because my dog and I will be going back and forth a lot to hit the dog parks in Green Valley, since they don't have any in Rio Rico.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:42 PM

532 posts, read 1,176,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnp View Post
The house I'm buying is in Rio Rico, but I'm temporarily living in Tucson, so I'm making frequent trips back and forth. Most of them just ask me if I'm an American citizen, but today I got really grilled. First they asked me the standard questions: Are you an American citizen, do you own this car, do you have anyone in the trunk, etc.

Then they started asking things that in my opinion are none of their business. Like, where did I go? I told them Rio Rico. They asked why was I there, and when I responded that I'm buying a house in Rio Rico, they wanted to know why I was buying a house there, do I have a job there or am I commuting to Tucson, what kind of job do I have? Really, I understand the need for border patrol but I went from one American town (Tucson) to another (Rio Rico). It's not like I even set foot in Mexico. Why the grilling about my job and home? Is anyone else running into this?
I've gotten grilled like this from Border Patrol a few times at the Huachuca City checkpoint when I worked in Sierra Vista and lived in Benson. Even got accused of stealing my own car. That was fun. Oh Border Patrol....

Old 07-18-2012, 06:22 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Viva La Migra!

Old 07-19-2012, 03:46 PM

123 posts, read 391,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Viva La Migra!
What does that mean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson