Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2007, 03:00 AM

3 posts, read 14,693 times

Advertisements

My two teen age daughters (18-19) will be driving LV to Phoenix, then on to Tombstone, Yuma and "ghost" towns" in Mid October

They want to explore the "back roads" in the area also

They have two weeks and want to cover as much of the are between Tombstone and Reno as possible, suggestions (They are originating in LAs Vegas)

Are there any roads, towns or stretches of roads they should be concerned of (Drunk driving or speeding common) are the roads well traveled should they experience problems

Any stories, advice or links more than welcome

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 08:28 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homaler View Post
My two teen age daughters (18-19) will be driving LV to Phoenix, then on to Tombstone, Yuma and "ghost" towns" in Mid October

They have two weeks and want to cover as much of the are between Tombstone and Reno as possible, suggestions (They are originating in LAs Vegas)

Are there any roads, towns or stretches of roads they should be concerned of (Drunk driving or speeding common) are the roads well traveled should they experience problems

Thanks
I certainly wouldn't "explore" any back roads! People trafficking, drug trafficking + 2 teen girls... = you do the math.

Old 10-02-2007, 11:51 AM

64 posts, read 263,019 times
Quote:

Thanks
The only part I can think of that's dangerous is LV to Phoenix. Just tell them to be aware of who's passing and so on. It's a busy road but not very wide and people try and pass all the time. It's the stretch from Kingman to Wickenburg. This part of the trip is terrifically ugly but direct. If they have more time, I would suggest going over to Flagstaff and especially Sedona before heading south.
The roads around Tombstone are very scenic and I would think they're considered back roads. I would strongly recommend they continue on 80 down to Bisbee and take 92 back to Sierra Vista. Nothing to do with danger, just if you miss Bisbee it's not worth the trip.

Old 10-02-2007, 12:15 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haaamean View Post
The only part I can think of that's dangerous is LV to Phoenix. Just tell them to be aware of who's passing and so on. It's a busy road but not very wide and people try and pass all the time. It's the stretch from Kingman to Wickenburg. This part of the trip is terrifically ugly but direct. If they have more time, I would suggest going over to Flagstaff and especially Sedona before heading south.
The roads around Tombstone are very scenic and I would think they're considered back roads. I would strongly recommend they continue on 80 down to Bisbee and take 92 back to Sierra Vista. Nothing to do with danger, just if you miss Bisbee it's not worth the trip.
Well, 80 and 92 are the regular roads. My understanding of "back" roads is dirt roads...

Old 10-03-2007, 12:00 AM

430 posts, read 1,264,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haaamean View Post
Different strokes I guess, I LOVE the drive from LV to Tucson...I think that stretch of road all the way into Wickenburg is just beautiful....otherworldly in places!

I have to agree with Sierra, make sure they stick to main, well traveled roads only, expecially the ones south of Tucson proper....nasty stuff goes on...and please, it's not a slam on Arizona, it's just a fact of life that needs to be stared straight in the eye. You know it's dangerous, keep out of there, don't put yourself into a position to help something happen.

Ozark Nana

Old 10-03-2007, 11:24 AM

235 posts, read 922,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark Nana View Post
Different strokes I guess, I LOVE the drive from LV to Tucson...I think that stretch of road all the way into Wickenburg is just beautiful....otherworldly in places!

I have to agree with Sierra, make sure they stick to main, well traveled roads only, expecially the ones south of Tucson proper....nasty stuff goes on...and please, it's not a slam on Arizona, it's just a fact of life that needs to be stared straight in the eye. You know it's dangerous, keep out of there, don't put yourself into a position to help something happen.

Ozark Nana
I have to agree that wandering the backroads south of Tucson is not advisable. For a little insight into what goes on down there, look no further than today's AZ Republic.

Cartels outrun, outgun the law at Ariz. border (broken link)

Old 10-03-2007, 02:09 PM

683 posts, read 2,651,261 times
Quote:
Any stories, advice or links more than welcome.
Sounds like fun! Here's a few links to check out if they need some ideas and reading material.

Arizona Highways is one of the best sources for finding out more about Arizona.

http://www.arizonahighways.com/

Here's a guide book that may help them.

Amazon.com: Backroads of Arizona: Your Guide to Arizona's Most Scenic Backroad Adventures: Books: Hinckley Jim,Kerrick James

Two books they may enjoy reading or listening to on tape.

Travels with Charley: In Search of America - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Amazon.com: Blue Highways: Books: William Heat-Moon,Keith Szarabajka

This guy just started up a web site dedicated to those people looking to travel the "Blue Highways".

Blue Highways Main Page

Charles Kuralt made a career out of traveling the back roads of America.

Amazon.com: Charles Kuralt: Books

Amazon.com: Charles Kuralt: Video

Tell them to stop by Old Tucson for Nightfall

index

Here's a nice web site to find out about some of the ghost towns here.

Ghost Towns of Arizona - Arizona ghost towns with history, pictures, and location
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson