Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 11:04 PM

2 posts, read 8,636 times

Advertisements

hi all,

a question...is 37K a good starting salary for tucson? would i be able to relocate to tucson (from chicago) and afford to live on that salary? furthermore, what areas of the city are best to live in? how much does rent go for in these areas? any help on any of the questions would be much appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 11:43 PM

430 posts, read 1,263,692 times
37K is good for Tucson. Rents go for anywhere from $500 to whatever you can afford to pay. I all depends in which area you wish to live in. The East, North and Northwest sections of Tucson are "good" areas. But, along with being in the "good" area you can expect to pay much higher rent. As far as you being able to afford to live on 37K that would depend on how you like to live! We can't really help you there....I make less than that and live comfortably on it...but then I don't require much upkeep either!

Let us know where you will be working and we can pinpoint an area for you and then you can look in the local papers, The Arizona Daily Star or the Tucson Citizen.

O.Nana

Old 10-03-2007, 09:09 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad21 View Post
hi all,

a question...is 37K a good starting salary for tucson? would i be able to relocate to tucson (from chicago) and afford to live on that salary? furthermore, what areas of the city are best to live in? how much does rent go for in these areas? any help on any of the questions would be much appreciated
It's certainly a livable salary... nothing luxurious... It all depends on your age, lifestyle, aspirations, and yes, gender! I think it's absolutely unfair that not only women are generally paid less than men, but we have all these expenses guys don't - various toiletries, fragrances, more clothes, shoes, purses, jewelry... the list goes on and on... And some guys have the guts to even whine about paying for dinner on a date! It's gotta even out somewhere! Anyway, I'm digressing.

Unless you like to travel a lot or have some very expensive hobby, you'll be OK. It's not likely you'd have too much time off to travel anyway... Of course, if you'd like to buy a home in the future, you'll have to spend quite a few years in a modest 1-bedroom apartment in order to have a prayer (on your own that is; dual income helps).

These links can help to get an idea:

PayScale - Tucson Salary, Average Salaries

Cost of Living comparison calculator

About the decent areas - what OzarkNana said + Northeast and Southeast, but there aren't than many apartments in these two. Search the forum. The topic's been discussed at length with many details.

Old 10-04-2007, 06:01 PM

2 posts, read 8,636 times
thanks for responding...i agree that 37k is a comfortable salary, but keep in mind, coming right out of college, i own NOTHING and would have the hefty cost of establishing a household. the potential job would be around Kolb & Speedway...i have no idea if thats a decent area in which to rent an apartment

Old 10-04-2007, 10:43 PM

Kolb and Speedway is a pretty good area.....just stay north of Speedway and you'll be fine...quite a few nice complexes in that area....again, check out the 2 local papers I told you about. The local rents (mostly privately owned homes/duplexes) will go down a tad after the University lets out for the Summer...usually around April/May they start advertising those places...

O.Nana

Old 10-06-2007, 04:59 AM

4,560 posts, read 4,097,614 times
37,000 is ok for Tucson. Real estate speculation and out of control price increases have made housing for that salary pretty unlikely, unless you wanna live in south Tucson or a trailer.

Old 10-07-2007, 08:13 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,189,978 times
Hello -- It's a small world. My daughter is applying for what is possibly the same position at the same company. She will be a December grad; the location and salary are exactly the same! We have family in Chicago area, so if you run into someone about the same age who has Chicago family, it might be her. The salary is adequate for the Tucson area, actually above average, and there are health insurance benefits, which is a big plus. She is also looking for a place to live -- there are many to chose from. The location of the job she gets will impact where she lives; she may be aiming for a patio home around the Tucson Mall but will consider further east if she gets this particular job. I would suggest you rent something with air conditioning vs a "swamp cooler/evaporative cooler". They can cause problems with allergies. Try hunting for furniture in the second hand stores -- you can get some decent stuff at good prices. Tucson does have funny zoning as do many western towns; you can be in a nice neighborhood, go a couple of blocks, and wind up in an area with trailer parks [some of them are actually very nice and that could be an option, too]. It is best to see the neighborhood in person before signing a lease. I would try to get as close to work as possible, so you can possibly even walk to work -- it saves money/time and makes your auto insurance costs lower, too. Good luck -- I hope everything works out for you.

Old 10-10-2007, 06:38 PM

9 posts, read 30,963 times
Cool moving to area around Tucson

Hi,
I am a long-time Californian originally from New England, currently living in Ohio. I may be getting a nursing position in one of the Carondolet hospitals in Tucson. I have done some camping in the desert and loved it. I wonder what it is like,though, to live with that heat day after day. Do most people end up spending a lot of time inside during the summer because it's too hot or is the heat bearable? Also what is the political climate like? I'm pretty much a "tree-hugging California Liberal" as was called by an Ohio co-worker. I am not sure where to start looking for apartments. Judging by previous comments I've read, there seems to be a lot to do in the area. (unlike Akron, Ohio). Any info or thoughts about how you feel about Tucson would be appreciated. Also, my car may not make it , I am curious about buying a car, and if anyone knows any dealers thgat they trusted and feel they got a good deal from.

Last edited by ripleysb; 10-10-2007 at 06:42 PM.. Reason: forgot to say something

Old 10-11-2007, 08:51 AM

*Carondolet Hospitals are pretty good...

*I wouldn't camp alone in the deserts here in Tucson and not at all in certain area's...

*The heat is bearable to me (tiresome but bearable)...I just treat our summers here like I use to treat Michigan winters many years ago...you learn to adapt by doing all you can early in the mornings and late at night throughout the summer months...

*You have your choice of car dealers...they are pretty much all the same here. I would suggest you look into the local papers, The Tucson Citizen or Arizona Daily Star and try and buy from a private person vs. a dealer...especially if the car is in Saddlebrook area (Senior 55+ community). Those cars have been well kept and usually have low miles for a decent price.

*Check the papers for apartments, it all depends what area in Tucson you would like to live, stay away from South, Southwest area's....midtown is getting dicey in area's, East, Northeast, North and Northwest are all pretty good area's.

O.Nana

Old 10-11-2007, 10:09 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark Nana View Post
especially if the car is in Saddlebrook area (Senior 55+ community). Those cars have been well kept and usually have low miles for a decent price.
That's true. Buying cars from seniors is a good idea. Plenty of those in Green Valley, too.

A little tip - the cars in AZ have kind of a deceiving look. Since they don't rust, they can look good forever, which doesn't necessarily mean that everything's fine with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson