Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2012, 10:46 PM

1 posts, read 4,547 times

Advertisements

I live in an HOA governed neighborhood in GV AZ. There are surveillance cameras at the pool. It was just brought to my attention that the receivers for these cameras are in the home of a board member.

Is this #1 Legal? Is it legal for the HOA to place the video receivers of the pool cameras in the private home of a board member?
#2 is it ethical? Is this really ethical for a board member to sit in his house and ooogle pool goers? Or is it just a way for a sick perverted individual to fulfill his fantasies??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 10:55 PM

461 posts, read 1,313,272 times
I doubt it is illegal as the cameras are not hidden and he is a board member. It does seem completely unethical and just plain wrong! I would have to question my HOA fees paying for equipment used to "spy" on me. Icky! I'd address the issue with other residents and see about getting the cameras removed. Good luck!

Old 09-22-2012, 12:10 AM

9,600 posts, read 31,685,641 times
WOW . . . sounds like a little bit of paranoia here.

What prompted the camera installation in your pool area . . . vandalism or even worse?

Why are you so certain that "Chester The Molester" is maintaining a constant surveillance? Are you certain the cameras are even being constantly monitored or possibly they're merely hooked up to a DVR just in case there is a problem? What in the world are you doing in a public pool area that would cause concern?

A few years ago after a number of acts of vandalism including a few chaises found either destroyed or missing completely from our pool area, my HOA decided to have cameras with ample signage installed. Since then the pool area has been crime free . . . KNOCK ON WOOD.

Bottom line . . . cameras are literally everywhere and they're probably not going away.

Old 09-22-2012, 12:41 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,568,915 times
After many incidents of vandalism in, and unauthorized use of our clubhouse, fitness center and pool/spa area, our HOA installed cameras in all these areas. They're well marked, very visible, and every owner/resident was notified via email and snail mail when they were installed. The information was also posted on our HOA webiste. There is a 3 day DVR loop that can been reviewed by our Property Management's representative for our property at the Management's office, and the President of our HOA Board of Directors can also activate a review of the tape if an act of vandalism occurs and a perpetrator needs to be identified. These cameras have been a HUGE deterrent to vandalism both in the pool/spa area and in the clubhouse and fitness center. No one sits and watches the tapes to get their jollies. They are only reviewed if an incident of vandalism or crime occurs.

Old 09-22-2012, 07:42 AM

205 posts, read 729,514 times
Just maybe the board member volunteered to maintain the equipment to avoid having to hire a private company to monitor and review the material and thus avoid additional expense to the HOA. I figure in this day and age that once I step outside my front door, I'm on somebody's camera and act accordingly. Our right to privacy in public places has never been guaranteed, monitoring is just more pervasive now because of technology.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:21 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,797,189 times
The connection to the cameras is probably no more complicated than the board member having its internet address. I suspect he has the data sent to his home so the video can be stored on a hard-drive. Off-site storage of this data would make more sense than having the hard-drive near the camera.

Just a guess on my part.

Rich

Old 09-27-2012, 07:55 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,158,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by insp58255 View Post
Is this #1 Legal? Is it legal for the HOA to place the video receivers of the pool cameras in the private home of a board member?
If you want to know if something is legal, you need to ask a lawyer and not an anonymous relocation forum.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:06 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,631,619 times
I doubt it's illegal under Arizona law. It may or may not be arguably non-permissible under your specific HOA's covenants and terms. You would have to scan through them carefully for anything which might indicate the answer to your question one way or another.

But realistically, I wouldn't want to live in a place like that. I'd take my business elsewhere and leave that place as soon as possible.

Old 10-03-2012, 02:38 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,490,492 times
I would have thought someone would have complimented the HOA for installing security cameras for the benefit of the honest/lawful homeowners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson