Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 11:02 AM

10 posts, read 20,820 times

Advertisements

Hi
There is a strong possibility my husband and I will be moving to Tucson for a job relocation within the next few weeks and I need advice! I've never been there and there is the possibility we'll have to relocate pretty much sight-unseen.

Info about us - we're in our 40's but old punk/liberal/artsy types. We have 4 small dogs, which will make rental a bit of a challenge. We'd be looking for a place that is reasonably priced (definitely less than 1000, preferably in the 700-800 range), in a relatively safe area. We are currently in rural Texas but lived in Chicago for 20 years, so urban living is not new to us. We would consider older or "transitional" areas, as long as they're really on an upswing. Proximity to arts/shopping (not so much malls, but boutique-type)/entertainment is a bonus. Would LOVE a SFH, but not a mobile home, although a townhome would be acceptable with cool neighbors and a yard for the pups. From my exploration on the internet I know that properties that meet these needs exist, I just don't know if the neighborhood meets our needs.

Any ideas or suggestions for us? Again, it's going to be pretty much sight-unseen, and if we don't have a place at the time we move, we'll have to find one FAST after we get there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 05:04 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,325,211 times
FOUR dogs? Might be more than a "bit of a challenge" in a rental. Your price range is on the low side, too, considering your wish list. What you are describing would be close to the university and that drives prices up considerably.

Also, please be aware that many areas throughout Pima County have strict leash laws for pets because coyotes, bobcats, and poisonous snakes are found even in populated areas. I live in a busy suburban development near Pima Community College's NW campus and we have all three on a regular basis. A six-foot block fence COMPLETELY surrounds my back yard (with a solid wood gate of the same height) and we had a large bobcat drop in just a few weeks ago. It's nothing for them to scale a fence that high.

Old 08-29-2012, 03:39 PM

Thanks Jukesgrrl...I know my "ideal" is asking for quite a bit, but I'm still hopeful...personal safety is I guess tops on the list. We have bobcats and coyotes regularly around this area as well, and leash laws don't bother me at all...as a matter of fact I wish they were a little MORE strict around this area in most cases. I'll keep looking, although it seems I might have to board the dogs short-term until we can find a place once we get there...<sigh> It's tough not knowing EXACTLY what my salary will be yet, and not even having a date...

Old 08-30-2012, 10:49 PM

38 posts, read 91,620 times
It's not impossible to get a rental with four small dogs, as long as they really are that, small. The rentals I have been seeing under $1000 are typically homes near the suburban areas. For example, there are 3 bedroom/2 bath homes in Rita Ranch that would accept pets for around $850, as long as pet deposits are met. Rental companies I have spoken to have a range of $150-300 per animal, and it is often non-refundable, so something you may want to thing about when calculating costs.

The "punk/artsy/liberal" type does seem to fit more of the standard of near the downtown or the University, but you'll find pockets of subcultures all over, even in town homes or condos in Oro Valley, and the Northeast side. Both of those areas are usually more expensive. I don't know what job you would be moving here for, or where it is located, but even something like Sahuarita, which is close to the artist community of Tubac may give you the lower price you are looking for while supporting the community side. Have you looked at communities such as Rancho Sahuarita?

Old 08-31-2012, 03:02 PM

Thanks AzHuny It's official, I did accept the position today. Sahuarita is one of the neighborhooods that's come up several times in my numerous web searches. I seem to find LOTS of places in my price range, and I'm not too picky about the neighborhood really...Artsy is great, but I lived in a REALLY bad neighborhood in Chicago, and I live in the country here in Texas. My biggest concern is the dogs...but yes, they REALLY are small. The largest of them is 12 lbs, the smallest is a 5lb yorkie. The job is in the Flowing Wells area, and the relo bonus is pretty generous, so a pet deposit doesn't bother me, and a pet rent doesn't either as long as I still come in at a budget I can afford. I've been browsing the internet for a couple of weeks now but starting my search in earnest now. Are there any locator services in the area that you are aware of? I *may* be able to get to Tucson prior to the move to look at places, but that's not for sure.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:13 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,325,211 times
Sahuarita isn't a neighborhood. It's a town, about 15 miles south of Tucson. If someone/thing is recommending rentals to you there, they are probably in Rancho Sahuarita, a large, attractive planned community. Many homeowners in RS couldn't resell their houses now for what they paid, so they rent rather than selling when they move. A lot of people employed by the U.S. Border Patrol live in RS because it's close to the border.

The Flowing Wells area, which IS in Tucson, would be a pretty long, but do-able commute. For Flowing Wells, start your search around Tucson Mall, which is at Oracle and Wetmore. Wetmore Road going west from the mall runs right into Flowing Wells Road (which changes its name to N. La Canada Drive, a major suburban thoroughfare, once it's north of River Road). There are a lot of rental communities on both River Road and Orange Grove Road between Oracle and La Canada. Ignore Wetmore itself — it is mostly car dealerships and light manufacturing. Flowing Wells Road south of River is rather unattractive also.

Town of Sahuarita, Arizona
Home | Rancho Sahurita Community

Old 09-01-2012, 11:55 AM

Thank you both so much for the advice - I've found several places on Craigslist that I'm looking in to! I found one in Midtown that looks great on paper (and in photos) and the woman I spoke to was really cool (especially about the dogs)...I'm kinda leaning that direction but still looking

Old 09-01-2012, 11:41 PM

135 posts, read 342,246 times
If you don't have a chance to visit Tucson first before the move, I would suggest going with a reputable rental company. Craigslist can be iffy if you don't know the areas.

For a job in the Flowing Wells area, you could try Casas Adobes/Northwest, the West side (although there's construction along the Freeway that could be a PITA), or my favorite area - North Central between Fort Lowell and River, and east of Stone Avenue. There are some great pocket neighborhoods there, both private rental homes, town homes and apartment buildings. It's pretty convenient to just about any part of Tucson. Good luck.

Old 09-02-2012, 12:44 PM

484 posts, read 970,460 times
Yup, I live in the area mentioned above: north-central. My favorite part to live in as you can get to everything easily.

Old 09-02-2012, 03:53 PM

I've talked to two ladies with properties kinda not far from each other - one is on Santa Barbara near Reid Park, the other one is on Bellevue - don't have an exact address but she said it's walking distance to Whole Foods and an art movie theater...do either of those areas ring a bell? How is it around there? I'm nervous about using Craigslist too but none of the rental companies have returned my calls (I'll try again Tuesday, it is a holiday weekend,after all).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson