U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 12:54 AM

42,835 posts, read 85,368,595 times

Advertisements

I just stumbled across something about Marana that others might want to know.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency is revising flood maps for the entire country, which may mean some areas of Marana and Pima County that were considered safe could be designated as flood plains.

FEMA remap could boost insurance cost | www.azstarnet.com ® (http://www.azstarnet.net/sn/85743/199454 - broken link)

Much of Marana a flood zone | www.azstarnet.com ® (http://www.azstarnet.com/business/204244 - broken link)

Found these flood maps, if anyone is interested:

FEMA Map Service Center - (http://tinyurl.com/bk3u3 - broken link)

The legend’s very hard to read. The map I checked was quite outdated (’99). Wouldn’t think that info like this would change often, but if they say it can, it most certainly will.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 05:53 AM

20,460 posts, read 25,323,262 times
Yup. Doesn't surprise me too much. Large areas of Marana and the Avra Valley are flat, flat, flat. One of several reasons we decided to buy land out near Benson rather than west of Marana.

Ken

Old 10-08-2007, 11:42 AM

430 posts, read 1,223,554 times
It goes the other way too....I had been in a "100 year" floodplain and have been removed from that...which relates to an additional $57.00 in my pocket every month as I no longer need to carry flood insurance on my home!!

O.Nana

Old 10-08-2007, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Yup. Doesn't surprise me too much. Large areas of Marana and the Avra Valley are flat, flat, flat. One of several reasons we decided to buy land out near Benson rather than west of Marana.

Ken
There's another article in today's paper, which mentions other areas, too...

Levee classifications top supervisors' agenda | www.azstarnet.com ® (http://www.azstarnet.com/allheadlines/205131 - broken link)

The original FEMA letter is only about Marana, but that one is from '04, while supposedly they started this "rezoning" in '05, so it may be outdated.

http://rfcd.pima.gov/fpm/lomr/lomr.html (broken link)

http://rfcd.pima.gov/fpm/lomr/FEMA_Letter.pdf (broken link)

Old 10-09-2007, 02:07 PM

Default update

Because a second article about this mentioned Houghton Rd. and I'm personally concerned about this, I called the Pima County Regional Flood Control. Turned out the problem involves Houghton at Tanque Verde wash and some other wash up there. As you know, the road is raised in this area and considered levee-like, whatever that really means... Of course, the media has nothing better to do than to freak a number of people out, generating unnecessary calls to this office. It's like saying there's a problem on Speedway... worry half the town.

Old 10-15-2007, 02:13 PM

356 posts, read 577,751 times
I just found out about this yesterday. Luckily, we don't live in that part of Marana. Our house is for sale and I'm told that the Continental Ranch area is on the new Floodplain. That is our main competition. Gotta figure out how to use that a selling feature since we are not in that area.

Old 10-15-2007, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparksals View Post
I just found out about this yesterday. Luckily, we don't live in that part of Marana. Our house is for sale and I'm told that the Continental Ranch area is on the new Floodplain. That is our main competition. Gotta figure out how to use that a selling feature since we are not in that area.
Guess you can say "no flood insurance required"... even though it's not a common feature in Tucson's listings...

I have a coworker who lives in Continental Ranch. Poor thing. I told her when I first found out, but she probably hasn't done any research to see if her house falls into this area.

Read somewhere else that the insurance can run at about $1,800/year... Not sure if that's the case, but it sounds pretty bad.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:16 AM

529 posts, read 2,298,451 times
I live in Gladden Farms and the community was recently mailed a letter from the Town that said they will be "evaluating" whether or not much of Marana will be in the new floodplain, but that any resolution wouldn't be reached until late next year; so I guess for now we're okay.

But the $1,800 is about right, I received a quote from USAA at ~$1,500/year.

I'll scan the letter and post it for all to see.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:50 PM

3 posts, read 10,343 times
I ran across this thread while trying to find a map showing the new Zone A areas. The maps I have seen on the Marana website are hard to detemine for me. If anybody knows where I can find a map that has major street names on it, I would greatly appreciate it if you would please let me know.

I found out some information today (ironically enough) that I thought you may be interested in, based on what I was reading here. I am a local insurance agent in Marana, so please don't see this as a "sales tool", but I thought this may put some concerns at rest as far as premium dollars goes.

It is true the flood insurance for Zone A is quite expensive. However, if you purchase a flood policy BEFORE the maps change, you qualify for a Preferred Zone X rate (about $320 per year).

Once the maps change, if you have already bought the policy, you can be grand-fathered into a Standard Zone X rate (about $770 per year).

AFTER the maps change, if you do not have an existing policy, you will only be eligible for the Standard Zone A rate (about $4600 per year!!, same coverages and deductibles).

Now all of these premiums are based on $250K coverage for dwelling and a $500 deductible, so the price may change based on any coverage change. Other than that, flood insurance is regulated by the feds, therefore, the premiums will be the same - no matter which insurance company you choose.

Wanna get around those ridiculous prices?! Get your policy before those maps change!! Anyway, hope this is useful information for somebody out there...

Old 10-16-2007, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKelly594 View Post
AFTER the maps change, if you do not have an existing policy, you will only be eligible for the Standard Zone A rate (about $4600 per year!!, same coverages and deductibles).
Wow, if this is true... it IS scary. Is that what people pay in FL?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson