Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2012, 04:14 PM

205 posts, read 727,227 times

Advertisements

The house we bought in Sunflower has an irrigation system that waters at least a lime tree and a couple other plants. I'm as far from being a gardener as you can get so plants aren't a big issue with me. I actually enjoy the cacti more than plants/trees that aren't indigenous to the area. Seems to me that using precious fresh water to irrigate trees like the lime is a waste of resources. Aren't there enough "natural" plants that will survive without watering or do even cacti need some water during the dry months?

I'm asking because the system is 10 years old and needs refurbishing. I think I'd rather just remove it unless I'm going to regret it down the road. Not being familiar with the growing cycle in the desert, don't want to endanger native plants but if the lime tree dies (and I assume it will), then it will get replaced with something more appropriate. However, if it's better to have the capability, then I'll get it refurbished and try to use it judiciously.

Not a rabid environmentalist but am in the camp that believes fresh water is the next oil and that preserving it now will hopefully extend the supply for a few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 12:13 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,453,792 times
I'd stick with natural habitat, things which can survive in the climate as they have for ever. If I had something which absolutely needed water I'd use a drip system which didn't use much water.

Old 10-29-2012, 12:31 PM

461 posts, read 1,306,751 times
Personally, I wouldn't remove the system. You can always shut it off and just not use it. You may change your mind someday and want some plants. The drip uses very little water anyway and adds almost nothing to my bill. I never run it to cacti...just lantana, trees, etc.

Old 10-29-2012, 02:30 PM

9,593 posts, read 31,537,902 times
I agree fully, Tom . . .

Having a plant, bush, tree or even a lawn, that requires that much water (especially after being acclimated) is like Declaring War on Mother Nature . . . guess who is gonna lose in the long haul?

Old 10-29-2012, 03:11 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,246,274 times
The lime tree is a good thing. It may need the water, but it is your property. The Lime if established may be fine, but the fruit will suffer.

Old 10-30-2012, 04:00 PM

3,610 posts, read 1,197,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom4416 View Post
do...cacti need some water during the dry months?
If planted in the ground, most cacti don't require supplemental watering. But they do appreciate it, maybe once a week, or every other week, during the hottest, driest times of the year.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:47 AM

1,087 posts, read 3,497,155 times
Do ocotillo need any special care or watering? The ones at the house I'm buying are dead or almost dead, and I don't know what killed them.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:57 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,246,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by themudpuppy View Post
Do ocotillo need any special care or watering? The ones at the house I'm buying are dead or almost dead, and I don't know what killed them.
One of two things.

They are not dead and will come back after a rain.

They were kidnapped from the desert and not purchased from a nursery and the roots were killed.

The leaves are not year round. Give them a chance and a little (LITTLE) water.

Old 11-01-2012, 03:25 AM

1,087 posts, read 3,497,155 times
Thanks, Steve. They never came back when they got water from the monsoons. It rained so much there that the yard flooded several times, and I never saw any life in them even after all that rain. I'll let them hang around a while though, just in case. Maybe through the spring and see what happens. Or maybe I'll keep them even if they are dead. They don't look half bad to me even being brown and dead looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson