Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2012, 02:51 PM

5 posts, read 10,142 times

Advertisements

Anyone know of an such communities in southeast AZ? Some place where a retired self sufficient woman might fit in or be welcomed. Would really enjoy living near others of the independent mindset.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 09:52 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,236,719 times
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "intentional self-sufficient community" but ...

Last year on HGTV's program House Hunters, they featured a single mother with a pre-teen son who wanted to move in Tucson. One of the places she supposedly considered (the show is rigged, so it's doubtful that part was true) was billed as a cooperative community near Limberlost (River/Oracle area). I remember them saying the place had apartments or townhouses and there were tons of activities within the community, a garden, a fitness center, among other things if I remember correctly. They even interviewed the volunteer librarian of a library they ran within the community. The community appeared to be really nice on the program, and the residents seemed really involved, but the subject of the program went for a totally conventional house.

I know it was discussed on the C-D House Hunters thread in the TV section, but that thread has hundreds of pages, so I can't imagine where it was talked about. I ran the search but it turned up nothing except that thread. I also Googled the topic, so I found out it was HGTV episode HNT-5103H and the Realtor featured was Leigh Ann Ganuelas of Keller Williams Southern Arizona (LeighAnn@KaiAssoc.com). There was also an article in the Daily Star about the episode, but it doesn't identify the homes looked at.
Tucson moms match ideas on 'House Hunters'

Or perhaps someone here also remembers that House Hunters episode and know the name of the community featured. The Tucson client and her son were ... shall we say "difficult" ... so people who saw it probably have it etched in their minds. I know the Realtor certainly made a positive impression on me. Sometimes those people need more patience than Job.

Old 11-10-2012, 10:21 PM

9,593 posts, read 31,537,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Or perhaps someone here also remembers that House Hunters episode and know the name of the community featured. The Tucson client and her son were ... shall we say "difficult" ... so people who saw it probably have it etched in their minds. I know the Realtor certainly made a positive impression on me. Sometimes those people need more patience than Job.
Not certain of the name, Jukesgrrl . . .

However, I believe you're referring to the complex on the Southwest Corner of Limberlost and Stone.

There's also a similar type community West of the freeway near Speedway.

Old 11-11-2012, 11:16 AM

3,610 posts, read 1,197,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
the complex on the Southwest Corner of Limberlost and Stone
Stone Curves neighborhood?

Old 11-11-2012, 12:55 PM

9,593 posts, read 31,537,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tumamoc View Post
Stone Curves neighborhood?
THAT'S IT, Tumamoc . . . Thank You.

Old 11-11-2012, 01:15 PM

2,834 posts, read 3,156,803 times
There are some communities that aim for self-sufficiency, or close to it, in outlying areas. I remember last year one of them had an event somewhere out West Ajo highway near Sandario Rd.. I can't remember the name of it.

Old 11-12-2012, 10:43 AM

205 posts, read 727,227 times
Self-sufficient to me would mean their own water/sewer systems, private road maintenance, on site schools, either own police/fire or a contract for such, etc.. I think it would be hugely expensive to be truly self-sufficient. Even some of the native American reservations are no longer truly self-sufficient and they've been at it for a lot longer than us interlopers .

Now retirement communities abound with varying degrees of self sustainability. Sunflower out in Marana isn't independent but has a lot of amenities for recreational and social purposes and a fair number of widowed residents that insure there are sufficient "singles" events. But, it's still dependent upon Tucson for water/sewer/fire/police and you have to leave the property for shopping although that is almost within walking distance for food and basics if you're a dedicated walker (bike distance for me). But, it's also single family homes only and that way not fit into a single persons game plan as much as a condo or townhouse would.

Actual communes, I don't know. They are probably out there as I think Tucson would attract those type of folks but then they tend to fly in the face of true independence since it's an all for one, one for all type of lifestyle. Plus I would think they would be located pretty far away from amenities like shopping, entertainment, etc..

Old 11-12-2012, 11:01 AM

2,834 posts, read 3,156,803 times
Add to that growing their own food and providing their own electricity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson