U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2012, 11:21 AM

11 posts, read 30,825 times

Advertisements

Tell me why your community is the best or what you think is the best Active Adult Community in Arizona
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2012, 05:57 PM

1,024 posts, read 2,538,876 times
Three of the best in the Tucson area
The Highlands @ Dove Mountain in Marana NW Tucson
Saddlebrooke just north of Tucson
Quail Creek in Green Valley just south of Tucson

Old 11-22-2012, 09:41 PM

8,875 posts, read 15,044,275 times
I sold furniture for several years in what was then Tucson's largest furniture store. It put me in contact with a lot of people who had moved to Tucson's active adult communities from other places. And in the course of selling furniture, especially rooms full, you spend quite a bit of time with the customer and a lot of chatting goes on.

That list Rick provided above is a good one. The people I met who lived in those communities were very happy with their choices. Maybe it was the glow of a new decision, but I never heard any grousing about the communities not living up to expectations. A few general observations that I warn you are highly subjective:

Quail Creek seemed to be to be the most diversified. People I met weren't the types I would have automatically pegged to live in an active adult community. Some of them still worked, they weren't all about the golf, although to judge by the advertising the golf courses are the centerpiece of the community. The residences aren't quite as pricey as SaddleBrooke, which is also a Robson community.

The SaddleBrooke folks struck me as the wealthiest. A lot of Type A personalities, although very well-mannered. They were far from elderly and invested in the activities in their community, which are as varied as any over-55 community I've ever seen. I know some of them were retired from prominent jobs although one resident told me it was considered poor form to talk about your previous life. "We're all just as interesting as what we did today," she said. But I sold a lot of tasteful home office furniture to those folks, so if they're retired some don't want to feel like it. It's the community I'd vote "most likely to receive delivery of the New York Times." I think there's a lot of focus on charitable activities there, too. A local paper had an article just last week about a couple that runs a virtual bakery in their home and what they produce are cookies ... all for U.S. troops overseas. Their neighbors donate the ingredients and money for postage and the couple does all the work.

Folks from The Highlands struck me as being the most "active" active adults. Lots of varied interests. People who kept busy with projects and special interests. They seemed to host their kids and grandkids a lot. I met a couple of anti-war activists who live there. I met a physician who was bored in retirement so he took a job at an Ace Hardware store. (I loved that guy.) The U of A runs an Osher Lifelong Learning Institute there. While I had some Highlands customers from back east, there seemed to be more Pacific Northwesters than in the other communities. Of the places Rick listed, this one has the quickest access to urban amenities. I understand all the homes available there are now re-sale only. The developer is no longer in building new houses.

Another community Rick didn't mention with easy access to urban activities is Sun City in Oro Valley's Rancho Vistoso. It's so melded into the rest of Rancho Vistoso that when I went there it seemed hard to tell it was a Del Webb Sun City, but it is over-55 and I understand they have amenities that are exclusive to their community. The views in Rancho Vistoso are fantastic.
Tucson Arizona Active Adult Community Sun City Vistoso

Another gorgeous and creative retirement community south of Tucson in Green Valley is La Posada. It's a beautifully designed place with a huge variety of services for residents as they age, including assisted living and Alzheimer's care, although the main focus of the community is active adults. They have things like an art gallery, a meditation garden, a breathtaking indoor swimming facility, yoga classes, etc., etc. It's a unique community. I know someone who is a director there and I am very impressed by the management's dedication to meeting all the needs of their residents. While La Posada started out with a focus on older people, they've begun attracting much a younger group lately and they are now building single family homes and garden homes (one-story town houses) that are quite nice. The community is adjacent to the groves of the well-known Green Valley Pecan Co., so the area is greener than many places south of Tucson.
Home
La Posada - Retirement Community - Home Page - Green Valley, Arizona | La Posada Green Valley

Old 11-23-2012, 02:02 PM

205 posts, read 687,817 times
I've got to throw in a pitch for mine - Sunflower up in Marana.

Established community with very strong financial statements - it's amazing to me how many people never review the finances of their HOA and then are shocked when they get hit with a special assessment that can amount to thousands of dollars. Wherever you go, review the financials and if you don't understand them, pay an accountant to review them for you - can't stress how important this can be.

Very low HOA dues - $85 a month. It's because it does NOT have a golf course. If you don't play, don't pay the outrageous fees for maintaining a golf course.

Amenities - Beautiful pool (two actually, but connected, swimming and lap lanes). Big clubhouse with full gym, card room, theater room, cooking facilities for community dinners, computer center and more.

Pricing - Houses range from 1096sf-1900sf. Prices range from $120K - $260K based on recent and actual sales. Prices are appreciating once again, will be an almost 14% gain by the end of year.

Houses - They are closely spaced on small lots but almost all are surrounded by brick privacy walls. Some back up to open space, others have lots shaped such that you get a bit more privacy but some look right into the back of another house. Standardized architectural detail, very southwest. All single story, all with garages.

Accessibility - Since they opened the Twin Peaks interchange, I-10 is five minutes away and you're then minutes away from shopping (Cortaro is about ten minutes from out front door). Necessities like drug store, deli and grocery store are right across the street.

Maintenance - Community is impeccable. Yes, the HOA can be a PIA about weeds, paint colors, cars parked in the street, etc.. but frankly, it keep the neighborhood pleasant looking.

Part of Continental Ranch which allows us access to their amenities but they can't access ours. Children/grand children are encouraged to use the CR pool and other facilities rather than Sunflower (although if they are well behaved, there are hours they can use the pool at SF but never the gym or other adult facilities).

Children/grandchildren policy - Very conducive to quiet living They are welcome in certain areas but can be asked to leave if they are out of control.

Lots of clubs, group events (like taking a chartered bus down to the theater to see a broadway play without having to worry about parking, etc.. Travel club is a biggie for us and I love cards and computers. My wife loves the Yoga/dance/cooking. Lots of informal community events like coffee time, movie nights (on site), pot luck dinners, etc.. Do as much or as little as you want, no pressure to "fit in".

Crime - Some thefts but it's far enough out that is not a prime target. Seems to happen to unoccupied dwellings (snow birders).

Cons: It's a cookie cutter community. Small lots. HOA/Architectural committee can be frustrating. A middle income community (a plus for us, others may feel it's too pedestrian for them). A bit far out by Tucson standards, seems like heaven to those of us from crowded metropolitan areas. Houses were built by Del Webb and Pulte so they aren't the highest standard of quality built so a good home inspection is a necessity. No public transportation, a car is an absolute necessity.

We looked at almost every active adult community from Green Valley to Marana and for us, there was no question Sunflower was it. We're soon to be retired, middle income folks with a moderately active lifestyle. My wife loves some theater that I can't stand so she can go see a musical with a group of residents on the bus and I don't have to worry about her safety. The price was right for us, the finances were strong (did I mention that already), people working there EXTREMELY helpful and friendly and everyone we've met so far has been very pleasant and helpful.

Old 11-23-2012, 05:48 PM

11 posts, read 30,825 times
Default Thank you

Thank you all for your well written and detailed responses!

My wife and I are looking forward to purchasing ( I won't mention where until it is final) and spending lots of time in the beautiful state of Arizona that seems to have made so made people happy in their choice of an active adult community.

Old 11-24-2012, 09:46 AM

6,934 posts, read 7,895,910 times
Excellent discussion with much helpful information. Thanks.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:34 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,517,218 times
I dont think you need to restrict yourself to "active adult" communities. There are lots of great subdivisions-neighborhoods in Tucson. Some with HOA's and others with nothing. Almost all of the condo communites are not age restricted yet the majority are 55+. There is something to be said for staying nearer to the downtown area rather than being further out.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:04 AM

205 posts, read 687,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
I dont think you need to restrict yourself to "active adult" communities. There are lots of great subdivisions-neighborhoods in Tucson. Some with HOA's and others with nothing. Almost all of the condo communites are not age restricted yet the majority are 55+. There is something to be said for staying nearer to the downtown area rather than being further out.
You're right of course but some of us raised our kids and now wish to be removed from the little crumb snatchers except when the grandchildren visit (but we always get to give them back ). Active adult communities are a good way to accomplish that task as well as participate in the activities specifically designed for us "more mature" citizens. Never considered such a lifestyle until I visited Tucson and then was completely sold on the concept of living with my fellow cotton tops.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:16 PM

61 posts, read 92,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom4416 View Post
I've got to throw in a pitch for mine - Sunflower up in Marana.

Established community with very strong financial statements - it's amazing to me how many people never review the finances of their HOA and then are shocked when they get hit with a special assessment that can amount to thousands of dollars. Wherever you go, review the financials and if you don't understand them, pay an accountant to review them for you - can't stress how important this can be.

Very low HOA dues - $85 a month. It's because it does NOT have a golf course. If you don't play, don't pay the outrageous fees for maintaining a golf course.

Amenities - Beautiful pool (two actually, but connected, swimming and lap lanes). Big clubhouse with full gym, card room, theater room, cooking facilities for community dinners, computer center and more.

Pricing - Houses range from 1096sf-1900sf. Prices range from $120K - $260K based on recent and actual sales. Prices are appreciating once again, will be an almost 14% gain by the end of year.

Houses - They are closely spaced on small lots but almost all are surrounded by brick privacy walls. Some back up to open space, others have lots shaped such that you get a bit more privacy but some look right into the back of another house. Standardized architectural detail, very southwest. All single story, all with garages.

Accessibility - Since they opened the Twin Peaks interchange, I-10 is five minutes away and you're then minutes away from shopping (Cortaro is about ten minutes from out front door). Necessities like drug store, deli and grocery store are right across the street.

Maintenance - Community is impeccable. Yes, the HOA can be a PIA about weeds, paint colors, cars parked in the street, etc.. but frankly, it keep the neighborhood pleasant looking.

Part of Continental Ranch which allows us access to their amenities but they can't access ours. Children/grand children are encouraged to use the CR pool and other facilities rather than Sunflower (although if they are well behaved, there are hours they can use the pool at SF but never the gym or other adult facilities).

Children/grandchildren policy - Very conducive to quiet living They are welcome in certain areas but can be asked to leave if they are out of control.

Lots of clubs, group events (like taking a chartered bus down to the theater to see a broadway play without having to worry about parking, etc.. Travel club is a biggie for us and I love cards and computers. My wife loves the Yoga/dance/cooking. Lots of informal community events like coffee time, movie nights (on site), pot luck dinners, etc.. Do as much or as little as you want, no pressure to "fit in".

Crime - Some thefts but it's far enough out that is not a prime target. Seems to happen to unoccupied dwellings (snow birders).

Cons: It's a cookie cutter community. Small lots. HOA/Architectural committee can be frustrating. A middle income community (a plus for us, others may feel it's too pedestrian for them). A bit far out by Tucson standards, seems like heaven to those of us from crowded metropolitan areas. Houses were built by Del Webb and Pulte so they aren't the highest standard of quality built so a good home inspection is a necessity. No public transportation, a car is an absolute necessity.

We looked at almost every active adult community from Green Valley to Marana and for us, there was no question Sunflower was it. We're soon to be retired, middle income folks with a moderately active lifestyle. My wife loves some theater that I can't stand so she can go see a musical with a group of residents on the bus and I don't have to worry about her safety. The price was right for us, the finances were strong (did I mention that already), people working there EXTREMELY helpful and friendly and everyone we've met so far has been very pleasant and helpful.
Tom,

I was just wondering if you had any updates/changes to this post since last posted?
Now that you have been settled in for sometime now what more could you add to help
us make that move.

Thanks
DC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson