U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 08:24 PM

1,087 posts, read 3,271,609 times

Advertisements

What is the deal with throwing toilet paper on the floor instead of flushing? I'm not talking small bits of paper. I'm talking toilet paper with human waste on it thrown in piles next to the toilet or in a corner. I've seen this several times at public restrooms in and around Tucson, but today really takes the cake. It was at a Walmart in Nogales and was piled up in the corner, almost up to my knees. Nasty! Anyone else run into this in southern AZ?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 09:20 PM

3,610 posts, read 1,092,335 times
TMI, but I suspect this is done by Mexican nationals. It's a cultural thing, not meant to be rude. Plumbing is so terrible in Mexico, they don't usually don't flush paper down the toilet. They don't realize that toilets in the U.S. can handle it. It gets so bad in some places that signs are posted to flush it rather than put in the floor or in the trash.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:22 PM

61,292 posts, read 82,165,062 times
yes i have. its not nasty bathrooms, its nasty bathroom users. our apathy and demands that we be more "tolerant" has produced this.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,642 times
I have heard that some areas, Mexico being the closest, the plumbing is not able to handle paper in addition to waste. That may be what you're seeing, especially with your proximity to the Mexican border. It is easy in this prosperous country to forget how such "simple" things to us are so out of reach financially to some others. I've written this carefully to try to not offend anyone. I remember the first time I went to Rocky Point, Mexico. We didn't just stay in the "Gringo" areas. What we consider normal every day things are like a totally different world to some in even a fairly prosperous tourist town. I was overwhelmed by the poverty (from my American anglo point of view). When I got back to Tucson and went into a grocery store it was like I had entered Heaven or something!

Old 12-03-2012, 10:30 AM

134 posts, read 238,298 times
After having lived in Mexico for more than 5 yrs, I have to say it is about the plumbing. And the culture plays an important part also. I had a neighbor in Sinaloa, who had an American boyfriend. He took her to L.A. to meet his family and when she returned, I asked her what she thought of her 1st visit to the US. She said she was amazed at how clean the streets and yards were. Then as she drove her car down the street, after getting a few blocks away, she began throwing old food wrappers, etc. out of her window. Never near their own home, but the next street over? OK. Strange she didn't see the problem. And the women on my street would sweep and water the street to hold the dust down, and to keep things clean, but only in their own neighborhood.
When I lived in Panama, my wife was always shocked at how often, even in upscale restaurants, the women's facilities usually lacked toilet seats.

Just a few of the reasons I named myself 2farsouth!

Old 12-03-2012, 10:54 AM

9,535 posts, read 29,358,644 times
Very interesting observation, MudPuppy . . .

Unfortunately, the responses so far seem to be nothing more than FEABLE EXCUSES for an EXTREMELY FILTHY and REPULSIVE BEHAVIOR and I doubt very seriously if these same people practice this type of behavior at home.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:57 AM

134 posts, read 238,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post

Unfortunately, the responses so far seem to be nothing more than FEABLE EXCUSES for an EXTREMELY FILTHY and REPULSIVE BEHAVIOR and I doubt very seriously if these same people practice this type of behavior at home.
Not looking for an argument, but having lived there, I can assure you most do not flush paper in their own homes.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:52 PM

3,610 posts, read 1,092,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2farsouth View Post
Not looking for an argument, but having lived there, I can assure you most do not flush paper in their own homes.
I made that faux pas in a small town bar in Sonora. It backed up and overflowed. I was really embarrassed and my Spanish was not so good, so I got the heck out of there. Of course they knew that the gringo caused the mess.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:00 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,214,594 times
Why do they throw it on the floor and not a waste basket? Gross and filthy...I was just in Mexico and a mother had her little girl on the sidewalk going in a Walmart bag.... wow, I was shocked - she didn't even take her behind a wall/car/building etc.. If it is a cultural thing fine but when in Rome...

Old 12-03-2012, 02:11 PM

4,295 posts, read 4,302,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post

While it is repulsive to leave it on the floor. this is normal when the plumbing is bad in certain parts of the world.( putting used t.p. in trash.)
maybe they missed the basket?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: