Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 08:40 AM

39 posts, read 73,300 times

Advertisements

I am seriously considering relocating to the Tucson area in the Spring of '13 and need some help. I am a disabled veteran currently living in Syracuse, NY. The cold winters and humid summers really hurt, and I need weather like yours. I am 100% dependant upon the Veterans Administration for my health care; they do a great job for me up here. How is the VA healthcare system around Tucson? What communities/neighborhoods are decent areas to look for an apartment and/or home, under $175K? In your opinion, what is the biggest hassle about living in Tucson? I understand there is crime everywhere, as well as unemployment and racial/ethnic issues. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 09:04 AM

4,235 posts, read 14,056,700 times
I'm not a vet, but have heard from others that the VA hospital here is very good....do you have a network or internet board of other vets who can give you direct comments?...

if you need utter warmth, keep in mind that Tucson is about 5-10 degrees cooler than Phx, but still very nice compared to Syracuse!....it will be very dry here, except in July and August, our rainy season....lows in winter will be about 35-40 +/-.....June is the hottest and driest month....July and August will have lows of about 80 because of the humidity....otherwise, the dry air leads to wide swings between night and day temps....typical desert weather...."freeze at night, burn in the daytime"

if you are not racist or bigoted, you won't have a problem here (or anywhere)....as with anywhere, you just need to be aware of your surroundings, don't be a jerk, don't be flashy, smile, say "hi", the usual....(but you do that anyway, right??!!)

you will find a fine place with that home budget....many good neighborhoods here, wide variety of choices....the town is spread out and is low-density, like many Western cities....some Easterners find it to be drab, dull, brown....architecture adapts to the surroundings, so be ready for that....

Old 12-12-2012, 10:34 AM

444 posts, read 1,351,416 times
I always thought crime was the biggest hassle in Tucson. But it's mostly property crime. Violence is generally relegated to drug activity. You can't leave anything in your car; you can't leave anything on your front porch; you need to put a "club" on your car if you're in a large apartment complex; you have to have a house alarm if you get a house, etc. The heat also causes issues, particularly the constant sunshine.

Tucson is generally a very tolerant city as far as different ethnic, religious and racial backgrounds are concerned. Not only is there the very large and mostly dominant Latino presence, but there's also a good size Somali community and a surprisingly large Jewish community. If you're the type that likes to spout off about "the Mexicans" or some other population minority, then you may want to look at Phoenix instead.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:02 AM

205 posts, read 729,514 times
I'm not an expert, not even there full-time yet but I am there as I type this for winter break. It's going to a high of 73 today and dry - December 12th doesn't get any better than that IMHO. They'll be snow on Mt. Lemmon by this time Friday for those that like to ski and only want to drive thirty minutes.

Crime - I've been following the crime statistics for Tucson ever since we decided to retire here and the amount of violent crime (rape, murder, 2nd degree assault) is surprisingly low. Property crime is no higher than any other big city as far as I can tell and a low lower than where I'm from (DC). I don't see a lot about home invasions around here but that's because Az has VERY liberal carry and ownership laws and so I suspect most homeowners, like me, are armed and have taken the time to get the proper training in the use of their firearm.

Can't help you on the health care front although there are a number of retired vets in our 55+ community who seem very happy with the Va system in Tucson.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:42 AM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
As a suggestion, Musketeer . . . you may want to offer more information.

Since relocating to Tucson back in the mid 90's, I have been more than impressed overall. I was tired of yard maintenance, etc so chose a Patio Home and have never been sorry. All of the benefits and privacy of most "city" homes without the responsibilities. WORKS FOR ME.

Location may depend on how often you need the VA and your available transportation. Unfortunately, the hospital is located down on the Southside which is primarily considered the "high crime" area. As others have posted, CRIME IS EVERYWHERE and I strongly believe COMMON SENSE is the best deterrent.

I have a neighbor (Stone Avenue and River Road) who relies on the VA and I believe the drive is about 20 to 30 minutes. Also, the VA Hospital was one of the main reasons they chose Tucson as well as this area to live.

Tom is absolutely correct . . . can't beat Sunny, Clear and Dry with a high in the mid 70's and 12% Humidity with an overnight low around 40 on the 12th of December.

WELCOME and Good Luck.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:11 PM

Thanks a bunch for the guidance! I am at my local VA Hospital 3-5 times a month, and it is about 35 minutes one way. I am familiar with firearms so while crime is always a concern, I am less than frantic about it. I don't hide from our avaerage 250" average snowfall up here, so I don't expect to hide from the heat. And Bummer (so sad!) is right: common sense is almost always the answer. Thank you all again!

Old 12-12-2012, 06:22 PM

101 posts, read 247,700 times
It's truely all relative...I was born and raised in Buffalo, NY and moved to Tucson 6 years ago. At first I lived in the NW area and just over a year ago I moved way east of town. I haven't experienced the crime in either place but I have family that live out in Marana and they have alot of property crime out there.

There are days (note: not weeks or months) that it gets pretty darn cold but it doesn't last long and it seems like just when it's the coldest the very next week it's pretty warm again but don't throw out your winter coat when you move here...boots yes, coat keep it!!

My Aunt & Uncle both rely on the VA for healthcare, my Aunt hates it, my Uncle has no issues. A member of my church is a Doctor there and I've never heard him complain except maybe the location.

I wish you the best!!!

Old 12-15-2012, 09:10 AM

20 posts, read 33,351 times
Hello out to Musketeer 3-2 (and former Buffalonian Jenmar1024)...it's encouraging to see that people from New York are considering moving to Tucson or already have with no apparent regrets. I, too, am a service-connected and retired vet and will need VA Hospital care should i finally decide to head West. Tucson is on our short-list as well with Phoenix and Albuquerque in the running. This will no doubt be my "last move" and i don't have much room for error, so to speak.

I'll be leaving a dear daughter behind in Buffalo, but have no other family here and none in the Southwest at all. I'm at peace with that. I'm looking for climate and convenience primarily and our own home not in a trailer park or "senior" community necessarily. Although pretty severely disabled and often wheelchair bound and the wife feeling her aches and pains crime doesn't scare us much since we know something about self-defense if needed.

I AM a bit concerned about the water situation; namely, is it dependable, protected and well-planned for the future? Will the very low humidity be rough on my wife's already pretty dry skin? How about critters like those Recluse spiders and black widows we hear so much about, those scorpions and rattlers? And i don't know if i could outrun a swarm of angry "killer bees" if i was rolling along in my wheelchair one day minding my own business! How about those issues?

Any comments for better or worse would be most appreciated...thanks and thanks for your service, Musketeer!

Old 12-15-2012, 01:36 PM

Roger that, MadNomad. I did some checking and the average humidity in Tucson during the winter months is from the upper 30s to the low 50s. I've been in parts of Nevada where 15% humidity makes your nose really hurt because it gets drier than a popcorn fart. I previously had ABQ on my short list, but too many problems across the state has steered me elsewhere: crime is way up, unprofessional police departments, corruption at many local and county levels, and the annual water shortage/wildfire season. I think ALB or much of NM is a great choice for someone on active duty, or retired. If you've got easily-bored children, it wouldn't be my 10th choice. But do your own research, and draw your own conclusions. I mean no disrespect to the wonderful people of NM, but rather feel a kindred connection as I enjoy the same problems here in upstate NY (except the wildfires-I have lake effect snow). FWIW, and to quote "Bummer" above, common sense goes a long way: you'll simply learn not to stick your arm into any places a snake can wriggle into. Good Hunting, MadNomad!

Old 12-15-2012, 02:29 PM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Interesting questions, Madnomad and a great response, Musketeer.

Critters are everywhere throughout the world and, except for a very few exceptions, are more afraid of us than we are of them. Once again, COMMON SENSE.

Rattlesnakes, Scorpions and Spiders are "at home" in the Desert Southwest, however, they prefer to avoid humans any way possible. I've lived in Tucson for over 15 years now and have yet to see any of the critters mentioned so far except in a Zoo type environment. In fact, we actually have far fewer "pest critters" such as Flies, Mosquitos, Ants and other creepy crawlers compared to all the other places I've ever lived.

As for the Humidity . . . sure it's dry here (not too sure about the 30 to 50% average figure) except during July and August but most of us acclimate fairly quickly and find the DRY is much easier to accept than the UGH Humidity. I definitely know I do.

Unfortunately, there's no PERFECT PLACE TO LIVE, however, I firmly believe Tucson is as close as possible.

Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson