U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2012, 08:41 AM

85 posts, read 226,683 times

Advertisements

For those that live in the area, what does it have to offer in terms of shopping and activities, Mainly big box stores, (Walmart, Target, Shopping centers)? Are there any gyms in the city that have nice workout facilites and swimming pools, possibly a YMCA? Just trying to get a feel for whether Marana is a residental suburb, or one has to travel to parts of Tuscon for shopping and activities?

Also, if living in Marana, would the drive up North to Chandler, Mesa area be a nightmare?

Thanks guys and gals!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 08:47 AM

17,884 posts, read 41,278,839 times
You'd have to drive to or toward Tucson for most shopping, though there is a WalMart and maybe other stores. No gyms in Marana that I know of. The occasional drive into the SE Valley area of Phoenix (Mesa would be a little farther than Chandler, but doable) would not be bad, so long as you are not traveling in rush hour periods. On a regular basis, it would get old fast.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
You'd have to drive to or toward Tucson for most shopping, though there is a WalMart and maybe other stores. No gyms in Marana that I know of. The occasional drive into the SE Valley area of Phoenix (Mesa would be a little farther than Chandler, but doable) would not be bad, so long as you are not traveling in rush hour periods. On a regular basis, it would get old fast.
Thank you for the quick response. Does the Oro Valley have the same feel, one would have to travel for shopping? The biggest things for us are having things within 10-15mins of our home in terms of a gym, parks, shopping centers. We know Tuscon has these areas, but we like the housing opportunities in the outskirts of town.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:33 AM

1,024 posts, read 2,613,574 times
The town of Marana is a huge geographic area, over 70 sq miles. So it may really depend where in Marana you are talking about. If you are talking about the main population area in Marana like Continental Ranch, then yes there is shopping and restaurants nearby, several grocery stores, Super Walmart, Kohls, Home Depot, movie theaters and a gym LA Fitness ,a new park with a dog park too. Just the other side of I-10 there is more retail, Taget, Lowes, Office Max, Costco and more, many more restaurants too. So plenty of shopping overall. And it is really not that far down to the Tucson mall, the largest mall in Tucson. If you are talking about moving more into western Marana where there are many homes on acreage, it can be a good drive to get into the areas of Marana mentioned above. Really depends on the area of Marana you are talking about. As for going to Chandler, are you talking about an occasional trip or daily commute? Certainly wouldn't recomend it for a daily commute. For the occasional trip Marana, if somewhere close to 1-10, Marana to Chandler is a fairly easy drive. But "easy" is a relative terms, depends on what you are used to.

Oro Valley: I live in Oro Valley, tons of shopping, plenty of restaurants, parks, pool/ aquatics center, YMCA and another LA Fitness close by. I seldom find the need to travel into town except for business. Would make travel to Chandler a bit longer. Overall Oro Valley probably has more in the way of amentities closer to the main population areas than Marana, but from where I live in the heart of Oro Valley, it only takes me about 20 minutes to get to the Costco in Marana/NW Tucson. Kind of one big contiguous area with a little bit of Pima county in between.

Last edited by RickTucsonHomes; 12-18-2012 at 10:11 AM..

Old 12-18-2012, 01:36 PM

Excellent post!! Thank you for the detailed info.

Old 12-18-2012, 01:58 PM

262 posts, read 576,851 times
When I lived in Tucson, I'd often drive up to Marana to go shopping. Like someone already said there's a super walmart along with a shopping mall. The Tucson area has more shopping than most of cities of its size (maybe due to it's proximity to Mexico?). There's also an abundance of stores in Oro Valley. Marana is closer to I-10, depending on what part of the town you're in, so getting into/out of town could be easier.

Old 12-20-2012, 12:45 AM

114 posts, read 189,080 times
Yes, that Ricktucsonhomes guy is really knowledgeable. He knows more than Google about Oro Valley!

Old 12-30-2012, 12:37 PM

1 posts, read 3,668 times
[mod cut-- don't post email addresses] I live in Salt Lake with my husband. 3 years ago I made a trip to his mothers place in Marana, Az. I absolutely love the area, the weather, and the location in Green acres. This May we are relocating to Marana, and hope to start a better life there. We hope to find the local Episcopal Church and get acquainted with the local perish and become a part of that community as well. My husband Jim is going to attempt to reopen his parents local Upholstery business, and try to reinvest in the community around Marana. Hope to see everyone soon!!

Last edited by observer53; 12-31-2012 at 12:23 PM..

Old 12-31-2012, 12:15 PM

3,610 posts, read 1,131,006 times
Most of Marana is rural cotton country, far removed from its commercial center. The latter is located basically in a southern swath that follows Interstate 10 at the northern edge of Tucson city limits. My folks live in unincorporated Pima County east of I-10 and north of Cortaro. It's an ideal location for accessing the Marana commercial center and all of the businesses along Ina, Thornydale, and Orange Grove roads. Also, there is a YMCA (on Shannon Rd near Ina Rd) and the Foothills Mall (at Ina and La Cholla Rd) to the east of them. Both are about 10 minutes drive.

Old 12-31-2012, 05:23 PM

8,873 posts, read 15,592,167 times
Marana is large in acreage and being an urbanite by nature, it's not my cup of tea. But it does have many fine things to recommend it if you like your subdivisions separated by farmland.

First and foremost, to address one of the OP's chief concern, Northwest Tucson's largest YMCA sits in unincorporated Pima County next to the NW campus of Pima Community College and across the street from the lovely Christina Taylor Green Memorial Park, with a scenic walking and biking trail. I wanted to point out its useful location, mid-way between Marana and Oro Valley at the intersection of Shannon and Magee Roads, a very quick ride from the Cortaro Farms I-10 exit. Rick created a link for it in his post.
Christina Taylor Green Memorial Linear Park - Tucson, AZ

I am especially admiring of the non-profit Marana Health Center, the most well-designed medical center building I've ever been in, where people without insurance are treated generously and just as respectfully as those who have it. The Center is growing constantly and, as it does, attractive community services increase (including activities for seniors and help for families of our troops). It's located on Marana Main Street.
Marana Health Center :: Home

Marana is also well-served by the non-profit Northwest Fire District, whose newest fire station is right next door to the Marana Health Center. Like the Health Center, the NWFD sponsors many useful and educational community activities.
Northwest Fire District

At the end of Marana Main Street is a loop called Civic Center Drive. It is home to another brand-spanking new public building, the town hall.

Another shout out to the Geasa-Marana Branch of the Pima County Library system on N. Lon Adams Road. It's one of the newest libraries in Pima County, open Tuesday through Saturday. Being part of the county system, books, CDs, and DVDs from every other library in the system are available for borrowing and there are computers for public use. Geasa-Marana Branch Library | Pima County Public Library | Tucson, Marana, Ajo, Oro Valley, Sahuarita, Green Valley, Vail, Arivaca | Arizona

Marana also has a bit of 1% glitz, thanks to the presence of the Ritz-Carleton Dove Mountain Resort north of Tangerine Road. Save up your money for special occasion dining and 27 holes of Jack Nicklaus-designed golf with exquisite mountain views. The 2013 Accenture Match Play Championship will be held there February 18-24, giving the public a chance to watch (with relatively inexpensive ticket prices) 64 of the world's top golfers compete for an obscene amount of prize money.
Arizona Luxury Resorts: The Ritz-Carlton, Dove Mountain Tucson, Arizona Resort
Tucson, Arizona | Metropolitan Tucson Convention & Visitors Bureau
Accenture Match Play Championship Tickets | Find Accenture Match Play Championship Tickets at TicketNetwork

The only thing about Marana I find hugely disappointing is the Arizona Pavilions Shopping Center. It's the single most poorly laid out new shopping center I've ever used. You'd have an easier time finding something in lower Manhattan. All that acreage and every street funnels out to a main road where traffic is constantly brought to a long halt by trains using the track that parallels I-10. I completely understand the desire to have the many chain hotels in the Pavilions abut the Interstate exit, but why the rest of the center is designed the way it is, is a mystery I will never solve since my third visit there will be my last.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson