U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 05:49 PM

12 posts, read 39,575 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone
I know this must have been asked a few times but I was wondering what areas dr recommended to move in to in Tucson.
We currently live in Dallas. My new job is at the Tucson airport.
From what I've briefly read on here oro valley looks like a good place to relocate. Any other areas you guys recommend?
Also, at whats the commute like from OV to the airport?
My hours are varied and very few times during rush hour.
Thx in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 06:59 PM

22 posts, read 36,269 times
I am a native Tucsonan and moved to Florida 5 years ago. I had lived in Oro Valley and my wife worked near the airport at Raytheon. The commute was horrible back then because they were doing a ton of work on I-10. I think most of it has been completed. The biggest chunk of time is using the surface streets to get to the Interstate.

Oro Valley is a beautiful place to live. The other spots would be the Foothills but you would have to cut through town (Campbell Ave/Kino) to get down to the airport. Off hours it's not a bad commute. My brother also works at Raytheon and drives from Campbell/Skyline area without a ton of issues.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:03 PM

59 posts, read 133,485 times
It depends on how much time in your life you want to give up? If you commute a half an hour each way, that's an hour a day and 5 hrs a week. On top of 40 hrs, you'll be away from home for 50 hrs a week. The south side has many nice communities that are cheaper than Oro Valley but you'll also have airport and I-10 noise. Depends on how you spend your 'off' time. If you're traveling to Oro Valley to bike ride more than once a week, you'll have to commute to do that too. Good Luck!

Old 12-27-2012, 07:21 PM

I work between 2 and 5 days a week depending on load. My current commute is 40 minutes each way so any decrease would be nice!

Old 12-27-2012, 07:29 PM

There is a reason why Oro Valley is "more expensive". The quality of life is much better! Beautiful mountain views. Hiking. Somewhat safer. Lots of speedtraps though lol! I'm not a huge fan of the developments on the southeast side. Maybe check out Sahuarita if you want to stay south and commute north.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:33 PM

I read somewhere that north and east are he places to go.....

Old 12-27-2012, 07:47 PM

4,201 posts, read 12,969,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoolup View Post
I read somewhere that north and east are he places to go.....
yes, if living in the "nicest" part of town is important to you, then the Foothills area of Tucson (N of River Rd and east of Oracle Rd) is it.....but you'll have a 40-60 minute commute to the airport, depending on start location..... Oro Valley, even farther, is very nice and has great views and shopping, but doesn't quite have the "cachet" of the Foothills.....if price is no regard, then El Encanto in central Tucson is arguably nicer than the Foothills and has half the commute time to the airport....

you may also want to consider the large Rita Ranch area in far SE Tucson, though it lacks some soul!....even farther SE are many choices in the Vail area, including Rancho del Lago and other smaller developments...commute time will be similar to a Foothills commute, but less traffic and less-crowded surface streets

Old 12-27-2012, 09:01 PM

2 posts, read 3,277 times
What about Marena? I am thinking of a second home in Tuscson, so commute is not an issue. OV seems a little congested.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:44 AM

Marana is the epitome of congestion! Oro Valley does have some high density and then low density areas. It all comes down to $$$'s. The less you spend, the less you get!

Old 12-29-2012, 11:19 AM

205 posts, read 685,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by az2fla View Post
Marana is the epitome of congestion! Oro Valley does have some high density and then low density areas. It all comes down to $$$'s. The less you spend, the less you get!
Marana is a huge area so depends upon the particular location but I find very little congestion in the quadrant bordered by Twin Peaks, I-10, Silverbell and Ina. I can be anywhere in that quadrant from Sunflower in ten minutes or less and I've done it at all times of the day. As soon as you get east of I-10 on Ina and roads south, it becomes very congested and you've got to go through that from Oro Valley to get out to the Interstate or stay with surface streets to commute south. To me, the area that is the new interchange with I-10 (Continental Ranch basically) is ideal for lack of traffic, easy access and really no need to go further than Grant to find every big box and warehouse store in existence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson