Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2013, 02:46 PM

39 posts, read 73,310 times

Advertisements

I've been reading that the safest/nicest/better pieces of real estate/apartments in the greater Tucson area are all north of River Road; it was suggested that South of there can be "iffy." Any thoughts on that? Any recommendations, good or bad, on apartments/rental property with attached garages? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 03:00 PM

3,610 posts, read 1,205,921 times
One can assume that you have plenty of revenue and/or savings since you plan to rent north of River. Yes?

Old 01-08-2013, 03:10 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musketeer3-2 View Post
I've been reading that the safest/nicest/better pieces of real estate/apartments in the greater Tucson area are all north of River Road; it was suggested that South of there can be "iffy." Any thoughts on that? Any recommendations, good or bad, on apartments/rental property with attached garages? Thanks in advance!
That's definitely stretching it a little, Musketeer.

North of The River is probably considered by many as the beginning of The Foothills towards the East and Oro Valley around Oracle Road and West, however, there are some "iffy" (your term, not mine) areas on both sides.

If you really want a DMZ . . . I would lean more towards Broadway or Speedway but there are exceptions on both sides as well.

Good Luck

Old 01-08-2013, 07:11 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times
As in every major city I've ever been in, areas where low-income people live have higher crime rates than high-income areas. University neighborhoods also tend to have higher incidences of break-ins, car theft, muggings, etc. — crimes typical of transient areas. Yet that doesn't stop people from going to the University of Arizona.

It's really rather insulting to imply we NEED a demilitarized zone in Tucson. Statistics will tell you that areas in the southern part of the metro have greater crime. But it's an area of greater population density. It's also the location of our government buildings, the university, some of the historic barrios, Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, the fantastic planned community of Civano, the town of Vail with arguably one of the metro's best school districts, etc., etc.

If you use Bummer's suggestion of Speedway or Broadway, you'd miss the fact that Sam Hughes, one of the most expensive residential neighborhoods in the city, and El Encanto Estates, where Gabby Giffords and Mark Kelly recently spent more than a million dollars on a home, are both located right in between those two streets.

In a city as physically widespread and diverse as metropolitan Tucson, it's difficult to make generalizations about safety. If you come up with a specific location where you would consider renting or buying, post it here and people familiar with the neighborhood can advise you regarding safety issues. But as in all urban areas, caution should be exercised everywhere.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:10 AM

39 posts, read 73,310 times
Jukesgrrl, I didn't imply anything, I was soliciting opinions. But all cities and towns have the other side of the tracks, regardless of its name-no mans land, dmz, whatever. Thanks for your input, and I'm sorry if I struck a nerve with anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson