Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 08:03 PM

2 posts, read 3,931 times

Advertisements

Currently living in OHIO and wanting to relocate to sunny Tucson AZ....please help. I came out last year for a vacation to check out the area. signed on with a realtor and have been looking at hundreds of houses on the computer since. She is not allowed to give an opinion on any of these property locations, so im asking for help from those who have alredy made the move. Please send me zip codes of where i should not want to live. I will look them up , I dont want to live directly in town, in the country is good, but not totally away from civilization i have even looked at several very nice looking mobile homes. but i just never know how the crime rate is for these areas. please help. I want to come back out again in March and want to have a better idea of were to go than I had last year. Thank you all........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 05:24 AM

205 posts, read 729,676 times
Why isn't a realtor allowed to give an opinion? That's one of the reasons I use a realtor, to get their knowledge of an area I'm totally unfamiliar with. I realize they can't redline but they can certainly offer up an opinion on schools, crime, amenities, population densities, etc.. I think maybe I'd find another realtor who could better "steer" me towards the area in which I'd feel more comfortable.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:51 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,717,470 times
Even in higher crime zip codes there are some neighborhoods that are better than others. How much are you willing to spend and are you looking for a townhome-condo or single family residence? Home prices are up about 20% from the bottom. Still I think five years from now they could be quite a bit higher. Heres a very affordable townhome off Sabino Canyon road that the bank is practically giving away. It probably needs some fixing but its very attractively priced and would be in almost 0 crime area. 3428 N Millard Dr, Tucson, AZ 85750 - Zillow

Whats the price range and what are you looking for? I am sure you can get some advice on this forum.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:22 AM

4,235 posts, read 14,060,609 times
borrego's link sure is a bargain in a great area, but, yeah, it looks very dated in the pictures...

it's practically against the law for realtors to steer you to, or away from, certain areas....your realtor may be being very careful to avoid getting in trouble.....

take a look at other threads in this subforum for comments on crime and links to crime maps.....

and make sure this area will work for you re: schools, jobs, climate, lifestyle, health, the whole bit....

Old 01-20-2013, 07:12 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,717,470 times
As azdr mentioned its not unusual for a home to be 30-40 years old with little updating done in the retirment areas. Typically the first owner of a property for the first owner of a property lives in it 20 years and does very little. The next owner comes along and maybe paints it and puts a new roof on and 20 years later its for sale again. A lot of these older homes have the original kitchens and bathrooms. Lots of the bargains need painting, new roofs, and maybe new ac/heat. I am surprised how many homes still have single pane widnows. Someone told me they are always pleased to see a house sold in the neighborhood and then the new owner brings in a dumpster and fixes the place up. If you want a zip code to focus in on take a look at 85715 on the east side of town. Its a busy area but most of the properties have decent walking scores. Every imaginable store is within 5 miles or less.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:25 AM

1,024 posts, read 2,747,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom4416 View Post
Why isn't a realtor allowed to give an opinion? That's one of the reasons I use a realtor, to get their knowledge of an area I'm totally unfamiliar with. I realize they can't redline but they can certainly offer up an opinion on schools, crime, amenities, population densities, etc.. I think maybe I'd find another realtor who could better "steer" me towards the area in which I'd feel more comfortable.
When it comes to schools and crime realtors cannot (legally) give opinions in regards quality of a school or safety of an area. We cannot tell you if there is a sexual predator living next door to the house you are considering. What we can do is give you the information/web links on crime, information /web links on schools grading (Great Schools.Org etc). I can give you the web link to the sexual predators map and highly recomend you review it, but I can't (legally) tell you there is a pervert living next door. I know crazy, but it is the law. Now if you were still considering the property I could/would ask you again if you looked at the sexual predator map and keep bugging you until you told me you did! In real estate "steering" has a legal defination and can cost one their license. It is a delicate line realtors have to walk in serving their clients best interest without breaking the law. The two are not mutually exclusive however, it can be done. As a realtor, the information is out there, one just have to make sure their client gets the information they need. On this forum people ask about schools and crime quite often. Any of the rest of you can chime in and say this schools sucks or this school is the best, but a realtor can't. Crime wise, everyone else can say to stay away from this part of town because crime is terrible, a realtor can't. I can (should) only give you information on where to get crime statistics etc.
And yes, they do send out spys to check up on realtors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
borrego's link sure is a bargain in a great area, but, yeah, it looks very dated in the pictures...

it's practically against the law for realtors to steer you to, or away from, certain areas....your realtor may be being very careful to avoid getting in trouble.....

take a look at other threads in this subforum for comments on crime and links to crime maps.....

and make sure this area will work for you re: schools, jobs, climate, lifestyle, health, the whole bit....
Not practically against the law, it is against the law.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:53 PM

123 posts, read 391,445 times
Default This post was helpful to me

The best zip codes are in order (sorry, I failed to copy the name of the author)

85737/85739 (Oro Valley)

Generally, anything in these zips will be fairly nice. Oro Valley is far north and would not likely meet public transportation needs.

These zips are good but out of town and really suburban
85629 (Sahuarita)
85747 (Rita Ranch)

These are nice zips with hit and miss neighborhoods in no particular order
85741/85742 (Marana)

Generally poorly regarded zip codes, but still with some nicer new development

I think the area near park mall can be hit or miss. It is really convenient to amenities and transportation, but as you go south you can get into less desirable neighborhoods.

In general central Tucson is neighborhood based. It is fairly safe and all things considered I would choose somewhere fairly central if I could find the right house. I'm in Bay Area now, but will be moving back to AZ soon

Old 02-19-2014, 01:12 PM

1 posts, read 2,197 times
We have lived in zip code 85719 for 25 years and love it!!!!! We are only blocks away from the Tucson Mall. Every thing a person needs is literally just around the corner. We moved here from Ohio and don't regret the move at all. You can find crime anywhere you live in any state you live in. I lived out in the country in Ohio and love having everything I need in minutes instead of miles. All in what a person likes I guess. I was a hairdresser for 30 years. The last 7 here in Tucson. Your hairdresser will tell you everything. Good luck!!!!

Old 02-19-2014, 05:15 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,316,053 times
I'm pretty free with my opinions, but I don't think we have enough information from this OP to make any recommendations. "I dont want to live directly in town, in the country is good, but not totally away from civilization," encompasses most of Pima County (which is larger than the entire state of New Jersey).

It seems to me that to make a sensible suggestion requires the following information at a minimum:

1. Where will the breadwinner(s) work?
2. How many people in the family? What age category?
3. Are schools an issue? Childcare needed?
4. What is the budget for housing?
5. What is the size/condition of home desired?
6. Any medical issues involved that would require doctors, hospitals, special services, etc.
7. Do you want access to public transportation?
8. Any desire for the following:
- A home in a community with social activities,
- An active adult/55+ community,
- Eldercare support,
- Proximity to a particular church/school/veteran's support/etc.,
- A yard/garden,
- Access to swimming/tennis/golf/other recreation,
- Access to good shopping.
And if the answer is, "I'm retired and live alone," that's all the more reason answers are needed to questions 4 through 8.

And BTW, per Fiddlefeet's list, zip codes 85741 and 85742 are not totally in Marana. Only a portion of each is. These are two of the zip codes in the NW suburb that fall mainly in unincorporated Pima County: not in City of Tucson, or Marana, or Oro Valley. I live in 85742 and some of my relatives live in 85741. If we call 911, response comes from a sheriff at the station on Shannon Road. While I pay property taxes I pay no direct taxes to the three aforementioned communities. That may change, as all would like to annex this area, but for the 8+ years I've lived here, that's been the case.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:20 AM

1,850 posts, read 1,138,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickTucsonHomes View Post
When it comes to schools and crime realtors cannot (legally) give opinions in regards quality of a school or safety of an area. We cannot tell you if there is a sexual predator living next door to the house you are considering. What we can do is give you the information/web links on crime, information /web links on schools grading (Great Schools.Org etc). I can give you the web link to the sexual predators map and highly recomend you review it, but I can't (legally) tell you there is a pervert living next door. I know crazy, but it is the law. Now if you were still considering the property I could/would ask you again if you looked at the sexual predator map and keep bugging you until you told me you did! In real estate "steering" has a legal defination and can cost one their license. It is a delicate line realtors have to walk in serving their clients best interest without breaking the law. The two are not mutually exclusive however, it can be done. As a realtor, the information is out there, one just have to make sure their client gets the information they need. On this forum people ask about schools and crime quite often. Any of the rest of you can chime in and say this schools sucks or this school is the best, but a realtor can't. Crime wise, everyone else can say to stay away from this part of town because crime is terrible, a realtor can't. I can (should) only give you information on where to get crime statistics etc.
And yes, they do send out spys to check up on realtors.

Not practically against the law, it is against the law.
Best way to judge an area is to check it out after dark. Thats when the critters come out. Also, a good sign is no security screen on the front door or bars on the windows. Graffitti is a bad sign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson