Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2013, 01:59 PM

1 posts, read 2,295 times

Advertisements

Hi,
A friend turned me on to this site and appears very helpful. My wife is getting stationed at Davis-Monthan mid-April, and this will be our first assignment. We are familiar with moving, as we were both military brats growing up overseas but it's a little different (and much more intimidating) in the "drivers seat." We both have a million questions and hope to get some help from these forums.
1- houses we have been looking at (~1100-1400 sq ft) seem to run $800-1000, is this typical or are these houses in a shadier-than-most neighborhoods? We aren't looking for gated community or anything, just quiet.
2- are there any features/requirements we need to make sure a house has, besides A/C? We don't have kids
3- I have two dogs, are there any special issues this might create, ie extra insurance, registration, etc.? Are there any breed restrictions/bans imposed by city or state authorities?
4- from what I've read, AZ has no special requirements to carry a concealed handgun. Did I read this right? Do guns need registered with local PD, etc., or do you just carry as you wish?
5- do you have any other tips for newcomers?

I had a lot more questions, but as usual they escape me as I start to write them down.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 12:49 PM

4,235 posts, read 13,994,861 times
you'll probably develop more questions, but to answer these....

1. if you can squeeze out a bit more for something better, you might be happier....lots of rentals, so look around....areas very near DM are not the best areas.....for a "quiet" check, you may want to look around at the other nearby houses, look for neat yards, visit at night and on weekends before committing to a lease, walk the 'hood and just get a feel....try to stay in some "extended-stay" style motel/hotel for a week or three before signing a lease so you can check out the many choices here

2. you may want to look for a house with true AC (what we call refrigeration) rather than just swamp cooling....west windows are hot in the summer....south windows are great in the winter....

3. just make sure your dogs don't stay outside all day....you should get a county license for each...make sure they don't bark and bother neighbors for any extended time....the county animal control center will certainly have the info

Pima Animal Care Center (PACC) (520) 243-5900 | Pima County Arizona

4. Concealed Weapons & Permits - Arizona Department of Public Safety

5. we don't have daylight savings time, so sunrise in late June is about 5:20am and it heats up very fast...May and June are hot and dry, July and August are our humid months with occasional strong storms....cools quickly at night except in July and August....a few freezing nights in the winter and a few cool days in the winter....the city is very spread out, low density....homes are usually one story....see if there's a newcomer services area at DM...

Old 01-28-2013, 10:27 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,238,010 times
When I was selling furniture in Tucson, I met a lot of D-M families who were living in the planned community of Rita Ranch (85747) or the Vail (85641 or 85747) area.

You should be able to find a rental in those places in the $900-1,000 range since you don't need four bedrooms.
Rita Ranch Homes for Rent in Tucson, AZ | Homes.com
Homes for Rent in Vail, AZ | Homes.com (Page 2)
Page 4 | 85747 Homes for Rent - 85747 Apartments and Houses - 85747 Rentals - REALTOR.com®

Old 01-29-2013, 02:38 PM

444 posts, read 1,345,607 times
Regarding #2, I've always thought the ideal configuration was a switchable evaporative/swamp cooling system and a/c, so you can save money when it gets warm but not humid, as you won't always need straight a/c. You should, however, get a house with as many ceiling fans as possible (they save a lot of money). You do not see many rentals that have this though. A two-story is less desirable but, again, you don't see them very much. If possible, I would also ask neighbors about scorpion issues. There are areas where they're everywhere and other areas where you never see them, and it's not really possible to tell without asking someone living nearby. People coming to Tucson seem to worry so much about snakes, but I've always thought scorpions were a much bigger problem.

Regarding #3, most residential leases that I've seen in Tucson have breed restrictions, so you'll have to clear this with the landlord before you actually sign. Nothing legal though. You'll likely have to get some sort of liability insurance for dogs, but you'll need to get renters insurance anyway (most landlords require it).

Old 02-07-2013, 02:57 PM

12 posts, read 22,783 times
Tucson has a lot going for it. The summers are extremely warm. I have not been able to deal with the heat very well. The swamp cooler will work fine until the humidity rolls in during Monsoon season. I am from Jersey originally and was stationed around the country back in the 70s so I have a little experience to draw from. Tucson has more pluses than minuses in my opinion. Here are the pluses, The Restaurants are very diversified, almost any kind of food. Shopping is very convient for most things, outdoor recreation Hiking,camping, fishing in driving distance.I won't go into politics,but tucson doesn't reflect much of the other parts of Arizona. Here are the cons, Driving can be very annoying for it takes almost an hour to go from one side of the city to the other. Be prepared for heat from June till Oct, Red light cameras on almost every major intersection. Regardless of what kind of driver you are be prepared for the cameras. Wimot and 22nd, River and Oracle, Valencia and Nogales Highway and a few more. The last post about scorpions is correct. Some areas have problems others don't. I think Davis Monthon should be a fine duty station. I only landed for a drop off on my way to Norton in a c-141a for a couple of hours can't be any worse than no hope Pope, or Magoo. Hope this helps

Old 02-09-2013, 04:06 PM

67 posts, read 223,399 times
Default Welcome to Tucson!

Welcome!

I will try to answer everything I can. 800, in my opinion, might get you a bit shadier part of town or a smaller house. We live on the NW side and when we were renting, the lowest we typically saw was $1000. But $1000 can get you a decent place here-- probably not an armed guard and all the high-end treats, but a nice place.

I'm pretty sure what you said about the gun laws were correct.

I don't think there are any pet restrictions-- though they need to be licensed -- as it seems almost every person in this town has a pit bull mix.

Tucson is a nice place to live. I'm not sure where you are coming from-- so it can be a bit of an adjustment at first. Try to get here before Summer, if you can. Take some time to get used to the weather/climate. I'd steer clear of 2 stories (we did that, and our upstairs would hit 90 in the summer) and also be careful of houses with E/W orientation. Sun shining in your windows at 4am and then killing the other side of your house at 6pm is so not fun.

I would definitely say to research your neighborhood if you are living in town-- look up the crime maps for Tucson and see what's going on. Research is your best friend! I'm wary of newer neighborhoods (with construction) as for us, when we lived in one, we had lots of problems with scorpions in the house. Never seen one sense we moved to established neighborhoods.

ALSO-- do not rent sight unseen. Tucson does not have a highway system (I-10 skirts the town) and so, if you're living in a different part of town, to get to the Base, you could be looking at 45 minutes of street driving to get there.

I hope this helps. We moved here 4 years ago from Texas (before that, NC) and Tucson is a unique city. We like it here....except for in August/September, when we're cursing the heat.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:29 PM

12 posts, read 25,222 times
Default Welcome to AZ

1.) I am going to second what the previous poster said about Rita Ranch and Vail. Extensive AF communities there. Besides that, I wouldn't recommend anything very close to the base (not that Vail is really close). There seems to be a lot of newer development along Houghton Road, but you would definitely want to come down here to see for yourself what the neighborhoods are like.

2.) Watch out for anything that looks like it's going to allow in too much sun in the summer. Those mountain views are gorgeous, but huge windows will leave you paying a dear price when it gets hot.

3.) Not sure about dogs. No restrictions that I am aware of.

4.) I understand there is some paperwork for concealed carry. If you are in the military, I believe it is a simple process. If not, it's probably still pretty easy. Quite a few of my friends have received the permit, none of them said it was terribly difficult.

5.) Tucson is a pretty easy-going city and DM has a great community. The AF brought me out here a few years ago and it looks like I will sticking around for a while. Feel free to PM me if you have any more specific questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson