Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2013, 01:40 PM

710 posts, read 978,816 times

Advertisements

Hello all. We are coming to Tucson in one week for our annual trip and we like to see different things each time we come. We have never visited the Biosphere and we are wondering if you think it is worth the trip to see it. I know that the U of A runs it now so I am thinking it could be quite interesting. Or not. Any thoughts will be helpful in planning our day trips.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 02:20 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,235,645 times
We visited and thought it was pretty interesting. It's not quite as big inside as it seems but the "behind the scenes" stuff was very interesting - especially the "lungs" (a solution to a problem that had never even occured to me - "how do you keep the air pressure (which increases as the air inside the glass expands as it heats up during the day - and decreases as it cools during the night ) from blowing out (or collapsing in) the glass walls?"). Worth a visit in my opinion.

Ken

Old 02-18-2013, 02:28 PM

PS - Karchner Carverns in Benson is way cool. Colossal Cave in Vail is not.
Kitt Peak in interesting - with incredible views from the mountain top (as well as interesting telescopes - do the walking tour).
Highway 83 is VERY scenic - as is higway 82 (BOTH directions from the 83 junction) - especially in the mid/late summer when it's extremely green.
Tombstone is always fun.

Just a few thoughts (not sure what all you've already seen).

Ken

Old 02-19-2013, 12:54 PM

Thanks for the great info all! Kitts peak does sound interesting as well.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:20 PM

3,743 posts, read 5,809,470 times
Karchner Carverns in Benson - Don't you still have to have reservations to get into the cave? We tried a few years ago and just got to see the visitor's center as it was all filled for the day. Tombstone and Bisbee would be worth a visit as well.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:31 PM

92 posts, read 200,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
Karchner Carverns in Benson - Don't you still have to have reservations to get into the cave? We tried a few years ago and just got to see the visitor's center as it was all filled for the day. Tombstone and Bisbee would be worth a visit as well.
Yes, Bisbee much more worth the visit than Tombstone, IMHO.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
In the "off season" there's no need for reservations at all, but even during the "tourist season" (ie winter) you can often get in without a reservation. We just did so a week or so ago - we had about an hour & and a half wait, but there's plenty in the visitor center to keep you occupied for most of that time (plus there's always the Bat Cave cafe to grab a bite and kill a bit of time as well - pretty good sandwiches there).

PS - if anyone has questions about Benson, just let me know. I'm now living there full-time.

Ken

Old 02-20-2013, 09:03 AM

3,743 posts, read 5,809,470 times
Thanks for the update about the caverns. We were there during Spring Break. And that was right after they opened as well. Maybe the crowds have subsided. I do agree about Bisbee. We enjoyed staying at B and B's there. Much more interesting than Tombstone. It is beautiful country, IMHO.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:23 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,251,228 times
I give the Biosphere tour a thumbs up. One place overlooked by many visitors that I highly recommend is Tohono Chul, the botanical garden at Ina and N. Paseo del Norte. It's another place where I recommend the tour since it's very educational about desert flora and if you want to wander alone afterwards, you'll know what you're looking at. Have fun!
Tohono Chul

Old 02-21-2013, 06:51 AM

Oh we love Tohono Chul Park. We stay right near there and every year we go there to sit amongst all the wonderful plants and birds. It truly is a jewel. We never tire of that place. We also like the Botanical Garden.

PS I hope the weather improves by Saturday. when I saw the photos from the storm yesterday my heart sank. I know it is good for the water situation out there but when you only have one week to warm up.....

Thanks Jukesgrrl and everyone who responded!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson