Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 08:33 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times

Advertisements

Yesterday I saw a listing in Rita Ranch bragging about a future Costco in the area. Has anybody heard about it? Costco doesn't have this kind of info on their website. Some retailers do. I check Nordstrom once in a while for future stores, but no such luck... We seem to be unworthy. And Nordstrom is not THAT expensive. If all these boutique stores in La Encantada could move to Tucson, Nordstrom sure could as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 12:20 PM

9,600 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Yesterday I saw a listing in Rita Ranch bragging about a future Costco in the area. Has anybody heard about it? Costco doesn't have this kind of info on their website. Some retailers do. I check Nordstrom once in a while for future stores, but no such luck... We seem to be unworthy. And Nordstrom is not THAT expensive. If all these boutique stores in La Encantada could move to Tucson, Nordstrom sure could as well.
Another Costco, SierraAZ?

Considering there are already two Costco's in Tucson and they really don't consider themselves Local Supermarkets, it doesn't seem very locigal but . . . WHAT DO I KNOW?

Old 10-25-2007, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Another Costco, SierraAZ?

Considering there are already two Costco's in Tucson and they really don't consider themselves Local Supermarkets, it doesn't seem very locigal but . . . WHAT DO I KNOW?
It seems quite logical to me - the East and Southeast don't have one... The Grant location is almost in Central town.

What is not logical is Nordstrom opening another store in Phoenix... as if they don't have enough of them coming out of their ears! But what do you care about Nordstrom, right?!

Old 10-25-2007, 03:10 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,006,467 times
We're growing much faster in Phoenix. That gives us enough of a reason to have another Nordstrom's. Plus, incomes are generally much lower in Tucson than up here in the Valley. There's no point in having a Nordstrom's there if only people from the northern and western foothills can afford to shop there.

I agree the Tucson should have another Costco, however. It always strikes me when I am in Tucson how few "big-box" stores (Wal-Mart, Target, Costco, etc.) are present. Up here in the Valley we have more Wal-Mart's, Target's, and Costco's than we are able to count.

Old 10-25-2007, 04:13 PM

9,600 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Quote:
But what do you care about Nordstrom, right?!
LOL, SierraAZ . . . not quite true.

Before relocating here from Northern California, Nordstroms was one of my favorites as long as I shopped when they were having a big sale.

Otherwise, I couldn't afford a pair of socks!

Old 10-25-2007, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
We're growing much faster in Phoenix. That gives us enough of a reason to have another Nordstrom's. Plus, incomes are generally much lower in Tucson than up here in the Valley. There's no point in having a Nordstrom's there if only people from the northern and western foothills can afford to shop there.

I agree the Tucson should have another Costco, however. It always strikes me when I am in Tucson how few "big-box" stores (Wal-Mart, Target, Costco, etc.) are present. Up here in the Valley we have more Wal-Mart's, Target's, and Costco's than we are able to count.
Well, if there are enough people to shop at La Encantada, La Encantada | Directory, there must be enough to shop in Nordstrom as well. Most of the stores in La Encantada are not even comparable to Nordstrom price-wise. Btw, there was an article about La Encantada saying that 25% of their revenue comes from Mexican shoppers. Apparently not all of Sonora is poor. We seem to be poorer. Then again, there's a lot of drug dealing going on there, too.

Old 10-25-2007, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
LOL, SierraAZ . . . not quite true.

Before relocating here from Northern California, Nordstroms was one of my favorites as long as I shopped when they were having a big sale.

Otherwise, I couldn't afford a pair of socks!
Well, Bummer, I have mainly sales in mind, too... In Neiman Marcus even the sales don't interest me... Something being "slashed" from 4K to 2K doesn't make much of a difference to me. That one I wouldn't care if it ever comes here or not.

Old 10-25-2007, 10:34 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,006,467 times
Quote:
Well, if there are enough people to shop at La Encantada, La Encantada | Directory, there must be enough to shop in Nordstrom as well. Most of the stores in La Encantada are not even comparable to Nordstrom price-wise. Btw, there was an article about La Encantada saying that 25% of their revenue comes from Mexican shoppers. Apparently not all of Sonora is poor. We seem to be poorer. Then again, there's a lot of drug dealing going on there, too.
Wow. Do you have a link to this article? I can't imagine 25 percent of Encantada's clientele comes from Sonora. I have been to other ritzy places in the Foothills, and everyone appeared to be white.

La Encantada is filled with small boutiques. Nordstrom's is huge. Dillard's and Macy's are high-end enough for many people in Tucson. Just drive up to Phoenix if you want to shop at Nordstrom's. You all can't have it all.

Old 10-25-2007, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Wow. Do you have a link to this article? I can't imagine 25 percent of Encantada's clientele comes from Sonora. I have been to other ritzy places in the Foothills, and everyone appeared to be white.

La Encantada is filled with small boutiques. Nordstrom's is huge. Dillard's and Macy's are high-end enough for many people in Tucson. Just drive up to Phoenix if you want to shop at Nordstrom's. You all can't have it all.
Seems like I can't find this particular article right now, but here's some info on the topic:

Meanwhile, Tucson has become a shopping mecca in its own right, as Mexican shoppers from across the border come to account for about 35 percent of purchases, says Gotsis.

Shopping Centers Today

When Tiffany & Co. announced the opening of the local store, company officials cited the high number of winter tourists and shoppers from Mexico as a customer base, Hsiao said.

Louis Vuitton is on the way | www.azstarnet.com ® (http://www.azstarnet.com/business/139939 - broken link)

Tucson Weekly : Currents : Habla Español?

Tucson: the big store (http://www.nusd.k12.az.us/schools/nhs/gthomson.class/articles/econ.articles/mex.shoppers.htm - broken link)

The number may even be in one of these articles, but I'm too tired to read them carefully this late. In any event, you get the picture from these sources.

As far as Nordstrom... it's just a department store... not that much different than Dillard's and Macy's... only more upscale. I see no good reason why the city of the cize of Tucson can't support one of them. Oh, well, their loss.

Old 10-27-2007, 10:34 AM

Quote:
We seem to be unworthy.
Or the city doesn't seem to be able to attract retailers for some unknown to me reason...

Apparently now they'll slice up the old Macy's store in Tucson mall (today's paper). You'd think it's not THAT difficult to find another anchor store in a big, established, and lively mall. El Con is a different story, but Tucson mall is OK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson