Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 08:43 PM

16,349 posts, read 30,059,742 times

Advertisements

The downtown area is overbuilt with restaurants, especially overpriced restaurants. The article cites that two restaurants downtown have closed. Personally, I can think of a few more. I think that you will see more closures as the economy heads into a recession in the next year or two.

Tucson is a low wage market. However, you could never tell that by the restaurants in the downtown and university areas. Honestly, you can get a good meal in the metro area for significantly less once you leave those areas.

==========

It should not be a surprise that there is limited parking and patio space in the downtown area. Wouldn't the owner realize that BEFORE opening the restaurant? And there is significantly less parking with the implementation of the "needed" street car?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 03:46 AM

612 posts, read 1,013,680 times
I'd say it's not overbuilt with restaurants, but it's likely near it's capacity. That's the point where you're going to see some folks fold and new places open up. Downtowns are just like that.

I will say the restaurants downtown are not overpriced. Yes, you can get less expensive food elsewhere, but you can also get more expensive food elsewhere. Eating at a nice place downtown is inherently costly, and there are plenty of people earning a salary in this town to support such places - and, yes, those people do hang out downtown. I spend a good amount of time in the downtown area and there is no shortage of people at the pricier places.

All of that said, I agree with azdr0710 - if the place was good enough, this wouldn't be an issue. The parking complaint is a stretch - Tucson has some of the least expensive downtown parking I've ever seen and there is plenty of it. The patio complaint is just foolishness. And is the guy really complaining that a hotel is being put up right behind his pizza shop? Really? God forbid the hotel guests wanted some food ...

In all, I'd bet that whatever lucrative arrangement was made to lure him downtown has now expired and he's looking for any excuse to get out rather than pay market rates. If not, I'm happy to wrong. If so, good riddance.

Old 09-20-2016, 06:16 PM

16,349 posts, read 30,059,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beTucsonan View Post
I'd say it's not overbuilt with restaurants, but it's likely near it's capacity. That's the point where you're going to see some folks fold and new places open up. Downtowns are just like that.

I will say the restaurants downtown are not overpriced. Yes, you can get less expensive food elsewhere, but you can also get more expensive food elsewhere. Eating at a nice place downtown is inherently costly, and there are plenty of people earning a salary in this town to support such places - and, yes, those people do hang out downtown. I spend a good amount of time in the downtown area and there is no shortage of people at the pricier places.

All of that said, I agree with azdr0710 - if the place was good enough, this wouldn't be an issue. The parking complaint is a stretch - Tucson has some of the least expensive downtown parking I've ever seen and there is plenty of it. The patio complaint is just foolishness. And is the guy really complaining that a hotel is being put up right behind his pizza shop? Really? God forbid the hotel guests wanted some food ...

In all, I'd bet that whatever lucrative arrangement was made to lure him downtown has now expired and he's looking for any excuse to get out rather than pay market rates. If not, I'm happy to wrong. If so, good riddance.

I must confess that I had not been downtown for five weeks as I have been traveling. I decided to walk around Congress St. and see the "progress".

Besides Pizzaria Blanco, Proper closed down earlier this summer as did their butcher operation. Their hamburger joint next door may be next.

The World of Beer is "closed for renovations." I walked all around the place and I see no renovation going on.

Last year, Geo Taco closed. I guess that there were not too many people who could afford their $3 mini-tacos

Earlier this year, the Miss Saigon location across from Ronstadt Transit Center. However, I did notice that they had reopened after the renovation of the building.

Parking is very scarce in the area and I do not think that people want to park blocks away and walk that stretch at night.

The foot traffic in and around that area in the daytime would be far more amenable to a McDonald's or Speedway than upscale eateries.

For those unfamiliar with downtown, the restaurants described are all wihin a three to four block stretch.

Old 09-20-2016, 09:08 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,232,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
The World of Beer is "closed for renovations." I walked all around the place and I see no renovation going on.
The guys who owned the World of Beer in Tucson, Gilbert and Tempe closed them all at the beginning of September.

World of Beer closing in Tucson, Gilbert, Tempe

An official with the Arizona franchise group who would not give his name said the owners are in talks with another beer-centric concept operator to take over the store at 350 E. Congress St. and their stores in Tempe and Gilbert. He said they anticipate that the closing will coincide with the opening of the new brand.

The Arizona closures follow eight other World of Beer closings in the past year, several of them coming this summer, including three in Florida. Three stores closed in the month of July alone, including one in New Orleans and another in Albany, New York.

Old 09-21-2016, 12:05 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,240,703 times
Can't say I'm surprised. When the university was still out of session a group of my family members decided we would go downtown for "something different" in getting dinner on a Saturday. It was quite early when we left, not to get involved with the bar crowd. We set off for Pizzeria Bianco.

I've eaten in the Bianco family's restaurants in Phoenix, so I was not surprised by the prices, which were a bit high by Tucson standards, but not outrageous because the food was good. Not a student budget, however, and that's who was crowding the sidewalks, even though it was peak-summer. What was outrageous was the terrible service. We got no attention when we arrived but once our order was finally taken they hurried us through our meal. I suspect they were anticipating a crowd at the later hour. But not a soul was waiting for a table when we were given the bum's rush.

What was most concerning was the difficulty we had negotiating the ... shall I say terrain? We had to park far away from our destination. Where we had to walk had very uneven sidewalks and curbs, a particular problem given that one of our number was my elderly mother who has a walker and a younger person in our group with an orthopedic injury. The trolley didn't seem to be obeying any normal traffic safety, stopping and starting with seemingly no regard for pedestrians or other traffic.

We went for ice cream after the pizza and ate in the sidewalk seating. Let's just say that wasn't a choice I would repeat. I certainly will never have to take my mother. When we got home she said, "I'm never going down there again. I was afraid that trolley was going to hit me and it was so noisy and dirty." She's 90, mind you. Not the Bianco's target customer. But she was never going to recommend that dining experience to anyone else. And some of her friends have money and time on their hands.

I'm an urbanite of long standing, so these impediments to comfort weren't a major problem to me. But this is Tucson, not New York. I can imagine why the suburbanites who probably at this point comprise the majority of Pima County residents wouldn't forgo their comfort for the "downtown" experience.

Why traffic and people are smashed together in this small area when the surrounding downtown community was nearly a ghost town is just weird. I often take out-of-town guests to El Minuto on Saturday night and we can park right outside the door. No one is expecting us to pay a big tab yet not be allowed to linger in our seats for awhile after the plates are removed. I guess because there aren't any bars in the block. And a restaurant that old isn't for hipsters.

I imagine many of the throngs that beat a path to Bianco's door when he first opened eventually decided that the experience wasn't worth the cost and effort. He's not leaving town because of that hotel.

Last edited by Jukesgrrl; 09-21-2016 at 12:09 AM.. Reason: format
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson