U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 10:22 PM

9 posts, read 6,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghadji1 View Post
Anyone else in Tucson hearing this low frequency rumbling outside? It happens every minute or so, sometimes even every 30 seconds. (Ruling out sonic boom from Air Force base). It can even last for a long time resembling an idling diesel truck. It's been happening every night for weeks...Intensifying around 2-4am. I'm not crazy... My wife hears it... My neighbor hears it...My cats hear it. I live in Sahuarita, but i heard it at my in laws place in Rio Rico (it sent their dogs into a frenzy), and I've heard it in East Tucson with my friend (who could hear it as well)

Maybe mine blasting? Anyone else experiencing this?
I've been hearing this exact same thing and live in Tucson near River between Swan and Craycroft. It seems to really get active around 2-4am as you said, but I've heard it even later in the morning than that. It's a very low frequency hum that will cut down to even a lower frequency hum that is a little difficult to hear. I can hear it outside as well if it's quiet enough. Not sure where it's coming from, it seems to be coming from all over. It doesn't take much other noise to wash it out, but it's definitely there. I rule out pool pumps because the hum will last a random amount of time and pool pumps are generally set to run for a set amount of time, usually in hours. There is no vibrato to the hum either - it's very constant in frequency.

It doesn't annoy me, but I really wonder about the source.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 11:49 PM

4,201 posts, read 12,687,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datapanic View Post
live in Tucson near River between Swan and Craycroft.

ghosts of those killed on Deadman's Curve??!!

Old 01-28-2015, 04:46 AM

6,070 posts, read 6,381,640 times
Default Booms happening all over..

Look:

https://www.earthfiles.com/news.php?...ry=Environment

Old 01-28-2015, 12:24 PM

522 posts, read 1,440,653 times
I agree with Marcy, probably aliens. I would think that they visit early in the morning when there is less of a chance of being seen and they probably leave their saucer idling. Remember the low tones in the movie "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" when the mother ship appeared?

Old 01-31-2019, 11:33 AM

1 posts, read 882 times
Default Rumblings shake house

I live in sahuarita. For 9 yrs now n I've always hv heard booms n rumbles that u can hear when outside and rumble the house when inside. They're so loud that the cats look all shook up. People say it might be the sonic booms of jets and they're not. I know how those sound. Others say mining,but that's not it either. I work at Freeport when they blast in the pit. I've seen it n we get to see the blast n u hear it but we r not that far away and u don't even feel it. So the only thing I could think of is earthquakes, but r they that loud? It happens always in the mornings. Usually 8,9,10 am. No one can explain them.

Old 01-31-2019, 11:53 AM

679 posts, read 496,250 times
My neighbors in Green Valley mentioned hearing booms, but they said it was mine blasting. I am not sure how they know that. I live a couple of acres away and I did not hear anything. Go figure!

Old 02-12-2019, 04:01 PM

5,668 posts, read 2,663,402 times
In Hawaii, they claim that low rumble is the volcano.
In California, it was blamed on the freeway.
I'm in SW Tucson now, hear something similar now and then, thought it was traffic related.

Old 08-25-2019, 01:46 AM

4,911 posts, read 7,612,409 times
Since I first posted here in 2013, I've moved a little farther west in Oro Valley. I used to be in La Reserve, and what I heard then was a high pitched whine. Not loud, but there and once you're focused in on it, it seems it was happening all the time. I was told then it was "the mine". I only heard it at night, and only in winter when I had the windows open at night.

Now, I'm in Rancho Vistoso near First Avenue and Tangerine. I hear the rumbling day or night and usually once a day for both. It's like a low rumbling, almost like a big rig diesel idling. It doesn't rattle the windows or shake anything in the house. I've gone out in the back yard, front yard, and I can hear it, but I don't feel the ground rumbling. I live near a fire station and I used to think it was a ladder truck going by without lights or siren, but when I go outside, there's nothing there, just the low, rumbling. It's hard to pinpoint where it's coming from, or whether it's underground or above ground. Again, some of my neighbors hear/feel it and others look at me like I'm losing my mind. Those who hear it again attribute it to "the mine". I have no idea what mine they're talking about. I'd love to know what it is.

Old 08-25-2019, 11:05 AM

306 posts, read 167,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
Since I first posted here in 2013, I've moved a little farther west in Oro Valley. I used to be in La Reserve, and what I heard then was a high pitched whine. Not loud, but there and once you're focused in on it, it seems it was happening all the time. I was told then it was "the mine". I only heard it at night, and only in winter when I had the windows open at night.

Now, I'm in Rancho Vistoso near First Avenue and Tangerine. I hear the rumbling day or night and usually once a day for both. It's like a low rumbling, almost like a big rig diesel idling. It doesn't rattle the windows or shake anything in the house. I've gone out in the back yard, front yard, and I can hear it, but I don't feel the ground rumbling. I live near a fire station and I used to think it was a ladder truck going by without lights or siren, but when I go outside, there's nothing there, just the low, rumbling. It's hard to pinpoint where it's coming from, or whether it's underground or above ground. Again, some of my neighbors hear/feel it and others look at me like I'm losing my mind. Those who hear it again attribute it to "the mine". I have no idea what mine they're talking about. I'd love to know what it is.
This is interesting, Marcy. I wonder if the prevailing winds have anything to do with the rumbling being more noticeable at certain times. Do you ever get winds from a southerly direction? (mines located along I-19, south of Tucson). Or perhaps sound travels underground along the path of a freeway or pipelines. If not, maybe there is road construction going on somewhere. I do like a good mystery.

Old 08-25-2019, 11:54 AM

5,668 posts, read 2,663,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazboy View Post
Ghadji1, relax. What you're hearing is a natural phenomenon that happens all over the world. The "Taos Hum" is just one of many other examples - it happens in Egypt all the time. It happens where sand dominates the landscape, and it's just a manifestation of piezoelectricity. Some aspects of the phenomenon is still partially unexplained, but the gist of it is this: sand is composed of several minerals, including tiny pieces of quartz. When you squeeze a quartz crystal, a tiny bit of electrical potential is created. So in a sand dune, the sand under the surface is being compressed under its own weight and when the top of the dune shifts slightly from the wind, trillions of little quartz crystals are being triggered to release a tiny bit of electrical potential - and some of that potential is released as an audible sound. There is tons of information about this phenomenon, and here is just one of them: click here.

Hope that helps.
That's all very interesting, and I like the video of people sliding down a sand dune.

But where are the sand dunes causing this? I'm on open land. The soil isn't sand, it's silt, and it's all stuck together, not loose and flowing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson