U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2019, 05:03 PM

2,544 posts, read 2,384,988 times

Advertisements

I seem to remember reading that it was FBI planes circling around looking for drug runners, and migrants, especially out SW of town.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2019, 06:27 PM

5,668 posts, read 2,663,402 times
I discussed this with my brother the engineer. He's lived in Phoenix for decades and never heard of it.

He opined that the sand noise theory was nonsense, and the rumble was likely either traffic noise transmitted irregularly due to atmospheric conditions, or some kind of nearby motor, like a generator or a refrigerated semi running all night to maintain temperature.

Old 09-06-2019, 12:49 AM

4,911 posts, read 7,612,409 times
It's not a noise carried on the wind. It's hard to explain, but you can feel it. It doesn't rattle windows or shake the house. It feels like it's in the ground, but, like a large or heavy truck going by (it's not), you can hear AND feel it. It's a rumble. That's the only word I can think of to describe it. It'll last three or four minutes, then it's over. It occurs occasionally in the day, but mostly at night, but not every night. Some nights it'll happen several times, others, only once. There's no rhyme or reason to it.

The only earthquake I ever felt was in San Diego in the 70's when I was visiting friends. I was alone in the house, and I thought some kids were bouncing a ball off the garage door, but when I saw a chandelier move, I knew it had to be an earthquake. It was a small, 5.2 or something. This rumble isn't like that.

Old 09-07-2019, 05:37 PM

2,544 posts, read 2,384,988 times
If you've ever been on a prop airliner circling an airport for an hour or more, you might be more inclined to believe it's FBI planes checking for border crossers or whatever they look for. That low pitched drone is just as annoying.

Old 09-10-2019, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
If you've ever been on a prop airliner circling an airport for an hour or more, you might be more inclined to believe it's FBI planes checking for border crossers or whatever they look for. That low pitched drone is just as annoying.

There is a plane that circles over Tucson, Marana, Oro Valley, Catalina Foothills.....makes a circle every night. It goes over my house at about 9:15 p.m. every night, but it's flying at about 1500 - 2000 ft. Every once and while a plane will go over that sounds like it's going to clip the roof tops, mostly at night. We also get helicopter which could be Search & Rescue or Flight For Life as I'm about 1/4 mile from Oro Valley Hospital.

Old 09-10-2019, 12:49 PM

3,051 posts, read 1,811,180 times
sounds like aliens to me..

Old 09-10-2019, 06:29 PM

306 posts, read 167,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
It's not a noise carried on the wind. It's hard to explain, but you can feel it. It doesn't rattle windows or shake the house. It feels like it's in the ground, but, like a large or heavy truck going by (it's not), you can hear AND feel it. It's a rumble. That's the only word I can think of to describe it. It'll last three or four minutes, then it's over. It occurs occasionally in the day, but mostly at night, but not every night. Some nights it'll happen several times, others, only once. There's no rhyme or reason to it.
Another thought came to mind.. Those machines they use to compress dirt or when paving roads -- it's like a large heavy piece of iron or lead that slams the ground repeatedly to flatten and compress it. That might be heard and felt from a long way away. But it would likely last longer than three or four minutes... which brings us back to something done intermittently underground. Perhaps mining. Or another sort of excavation. Those mining excavators are huge and can weigh over 800 tons. That would make the ground rumble, for sure.

Old 09-12-2019, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflowers27 View Post
Another thought came to mind.. Those machines they use to compress dirt or when paving roads -- it's like a large heavy piece of iron or lead that slams the ground repeatedly to flatten and compress it. That might be heard and felt from a long way away. But it would likely last longer than three or four minutes... which brings us back to something done intermittently underground. Perhaps mining. Or another sort of excavation. Those mining excavators are huge and can weigh over 800 tons. That would make the ground rumble, for sure.

I'm really leaning towards something like the mines. I've eliminated large trucks (I live near a Golder Ranch fire station and it's not them), sonic booms, earthquakes, or something like the Taos "hum" (which I can hear, BTW). I think it's probably something underground since I can hear and feel it, but there's no explanation for it near me. Your idea of the machines makes sense.

Old 05-06-2020, 03:54 PM

1 posts, read 414 times
I lived in OV on/off for nearly two years from 2015-2017. I travelled for work, but when I was there I definitely noticed what I called "the vibration." I hadn't heard of "The Hum," prior, so I didn't realize there was a precedent. I had no idea others had/were experiencing a similar thing. I thought I was going a bit mad, to be honest. I heard it at night and it often made sleeping very difficult. I lived on the golf course at the base of the mountains, which was incredibly quiet at night. I have also heard it in Southwestern PA and in Alexandria, VA (where many others hear it as well). In Oro Valley, I don't remember a ground vibration, but, rather, my body used to feel like it was buzzing at certain points. I could hear the hum very clearly- even absent of any physical vibrations/buzzing. On the other hand, we now live in Virginia, and have experienced here as well. I've been laying on the couch during the day and felt vibrations seemingly coming from the ground. I used to live in NYC and it was almost as though a very distant subway should be running...but, we live way too far from any of those for it to be related and only happen once every so infrequently. In VA, I hear the hum mostly at night, but sometimes I/we hear it during the day as well. Sometimes it's a whirring (like a distant, wonky ceiling fan) and it starts and stops. At other times it's low and almost mildly pulsating. Many here in VA/DC keep records of their "Hum" experiences and share their thoughts with neighbors/strangers who have similar odd experience/s. [Note: I used to live in Southern CA, so I have experienced many earthquakes (both the wave pool types and the shakers). None of my experiences with The Hum resemble those.] When I lived in North Carolina and Marin County, CA, I never experienced the Hum. Just wanted to contribute a little to this convo....the more valid info out there, the better!

Last edited by LET'S_GET_REEL; 05-06-2020 at 04:00 PM.. Reason: Grammar corrections!

Old 05-07-2020, 12:51 AM

It went quiet for a while over the holidays and late winter, but it's back. I was standing in the kitchen making dinner, and it was like a buzz of electricity went from my feet to my hands. It felt like my body was buzzing, and then I felt the rumbling. I went outside thinking maybe an electric wire hit the house, but we have underground utilities. No overhead wires except for a large row of transformer towers going through the area about 1/2 mile away. Outside, I didn't feel the buzzing going through my feet, but I heard the hum and felt the rumble. I couldn't tell which direction the hum was coming from. It was really low level and seemed to surround me.

When we would go to Taos, usually over Columbus Day every year with the kids on a week's vacation, to see the peak of leaf color. I could hear the Taos hum, but my kids and husband couldn't. It drove me crazy trying to convince them I wasn't crazy. I finally found something online that convinced my husband I wasn't ready for the Looney Bin. There's been a lot of controversy around the Taos Hum.

I wonder if some people are just more sensitive to smells, sounds, sights, and feelings of the areas they're in that others. Kind of like how some people are super tasters and others can't tell the difference between a grapefruit and a tangerine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson