Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 02:21 AM

13 posts, read 66,817 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I have a friend living in tucson and he recently got one of those speed camera tickets for allegedly going over the speed limit. he has 30 days to respond, and within that time frame he's moving to phoenix. Since the ticket was issued in pima county, and phoenix is in maricopa county, could he avoid the ticket just simply moving? Do tucson process servers drive to phoenix to serve a ticket? I know if someone is out of state they wont be served, but i havent found anything about living out of county. Has anyone run into this before?

Please spare me the high morals. I dont care if you think he should pay it because "its the right thing to do". My question is simply a technical question i am not asking about morals, etc.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 06:30 AM

205 posts, read 729,676 times
Pima county can, and will, issue a bench warrant for anywhere in the state therefore escalating a simple speeding ticket to a much more serious offense. Morality may not matter to you or your friend, but it will matter to the judge if he thinks your friend is trying to avoid his responsibility and you do not want to tick a judge or magistrate off, even over a simple speeding ticket.

And you're somewhat incorrect about out of state. You can still be found guilty under a failure to appear hearing and now there is an entirely different warrant out if you ever come back into the state and get stopped for something. And there is reciprocity among states for the points on your license.

I also think 30 over is probably considered reckless driving so at the very least, a court appearance can probably quickly get that reduced to simple speeding.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:51 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,695,251 times
Regardless of morals or ethics, or lack thereof, Outspokenaz . . .

Blatantly ignoring the Speed Camera Ticket can, and probably will, cause more grief and is just NOT worth the risk. If your friend is ever stopped for even the slightest issue and this ignored warrant is on his record, an immediate arrest plus vehicle seizure are imminent.

A very similar scenario happened to a neighbor who claimed a residence in both Tucson and California. He was stopped for a simple license plate infraction and ended up being hauled "downtown" and his vehicle was towed.

As Tom has already posted . . . NOT WORTH THE RISK.

Old 05-24-2013, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
A very similar scenario happened to a neighbor who claimed a residence in both Tucson and California. He was stopped for a simple license plate infraction and ended up being hauled "downtown" and his vehicle was towed.

As Tom has already posted . . . NOT WORTH THE RISK.
um where did i say my friend got pulled over for a license plate issue? I said he got a speed camera ticket. There was no officer present. Thats comparing apples to oranges.

Old 05-24-2013, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom4416 View Post
Pima county can, and will, issue a bench warrant for anywhere in the state therefore escalating a simple speeding ticket to a much more serious offense. Morality may not matter to you or your friend, but it will matter to the judge if he thinks your friend is trying to avoid his responsibility and you do not want to tick a judge or magistrate off, even over a simple speeding ticket.

And you're somewhat incorrect about out of state. You can still be found guilty under a failure to appear hearing and now there is an entirely different warrant out if you ever come back into the state and get stopped for something. And there is reciprocity among states for the points on your license.

I also think 30 over is probably considered reckless driving so at the very least, a court appearance can probably quickly get that reduced to simple speeding.
thats 100% incorrect. Please provide a URL or something backing up your opinions with facts.

If my friend avoids the process server for 120 days the ticket is DISMISSED because the ticket is only valid if a person hands it to you.

If my friend cannot avoid the process server then he has to pay an addional $36 in addition to the ticket.

So his risk/reward is: Avoid the process server and face no consequences, or pay an extra $36. I dont know what you are talking about "bench warrent" and all that other stuff. It doesnt apply to speed camera tickets.

See Photo Radar Citation - Are you legally obligated to pay the ticket in Arizona?

Old 05-24-2013, 05:23 PM

Ill ask again has anyone run into this? I would appreciate facts rather than unfounded opinions thanks!

Old 05-24-2013, 05:31 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,160,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outspokenaz View Post
thats 100% incorrect. Please provide a URL or something backing up your opinions with facts.

If my friend avoids the process server for 120 days the ticket is DISMISSED because the ticket is only valid if a person hands it to you.

If my friend cannot avoid the process server then he has to pay an addional $36 in addition to the ticket.

So his risk/reward is: Avoid the process server and face no consequences, or pay an extra $36. I dont know what you are talking about "bench warrent" and all that other stuff. It doesnt apply to speed camera tickets.

See Photo Radar Citation - Are you legally obligated to pay the ticket in Arizona?
So you're using a two year old blog post as your legal advice? Well, that's certainly more authoritative than a mere opinion. If you're so sure of your "facts," why are you asking for more here?

Old 05-24-2013, 06:34 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,316,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
So you're using a two year old blog post as your legal advice? Well, that's certainly more authoritative than a mere opinion. If you're so sure of your "facts," why are you asking for more here?
To which I would add: people here at C-D are generally polite (and law-abiding). You ask a question, we try to answer based on our knowledge of facts and/or our personal experiences. These posts are the only ones you've ever made on C-D and to each reply you've received you have been dismissive and sometimes even rude, rather than merely "outspoken."

Old 05-24-2013, 06:39 PM

58 posts, read 143,483 times
I'll state right up front I don't know how camera tickets differ from officer-issued tickets, but as an inveterate speeder who takes a whole lotta road trips, I know that I can get away with ignoring an officer-issued ticket only if it's issued in a state that isn't a direct neighbor to my own (Colorado currently). When I've ignored tickets issued in Oklahoma, Wyoming and Nebraska, Colorado came after me for them eventually, but I have outstanding tickets in Chicago, Boston & somewhere in Louisiana that are years old and I was never contacted in any way after the issuance of the ticket.

I just got nabbed by a camera on River Rd. when I was there house-hunting a couple of weeks ago and would feel safe in ignoring it if I weren't moving there in a month or so. The fine is bloody OUTRAGEOUS, but I can't come back there to contest it before the deadline and I sure don't want to make an enemy of the AZ authorities before I'm even an official resident.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:03 PM

76 posts, read 106,229 times
The tickets are a civil citation payable to a private enterprise.

DO NOT PAY!!!

The state has no morals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson