Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 07:49 PM

522 posts, read 1,569,119 times

Advertisements

You know, what bothers me about the red light cameras or speed cameras is the constitutionality of them. You are presumed innocent until proven guilty, BUT with these cameras you are presumed guilty period. Cameras make mistakes. I work with electronics and cameras everyday in my job and they are not perfect.

Are they most of the time? Probably, but not all of the time. Do they help make the streets safe? I am not convinced of this. I don't know about Tucson, but here there have been municipalities that have had the yellow light shortened when they add the cameras and have been caught. To me this means that they are made to make money. The companies that provide them make money on each ticket so it is in their best interest to send out as many tickets as the can. This is a multi-million dollar business so I don't trust them.

I am torn between it really doing what they say it does and them being put up just as a money maker.

But you usually know if you ran the red light or were speeding, so if you were you should just pay the ticket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 12:20 PM

8 posts, read 12,175 times
double post

Last edited by scubasteve941; 04-01-2014 at 01:04 PM..

Old 04-01-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
"Never go to the link that says "to see more pictures go to this web address..."

Because the IP address of the computer you use can be tracked, and presumably, the offender is the only one who has access to the login id of the citation....so if you log in to look at the photo, you will have given your IP address, and you will have confirmed that you have looked at the photo.....

Regards
Gemstone1
I wish I found this thread earlier.

I'm from CA and just got back from a Scottsdale to see some Spring Training games. I got a letter in the mail from Scottsdale PD asking me to identify the driver. The notice said that I was not obligated to respond and said that I appear to be driving faster than 15MPH in a school zone although they don't list my actual speed. I haven't identified the driver, but I did go online to check out the video. I actually don't know how fast I was going and I'm not sure they do either since they don't list my actual speed.

The notice also mentioned that there was no fine associated with this notice so I'm assuming I should just wait for a real ticket to be served to me. Am I totally screwed because I went to the site and logged in?

Old 04-01-2014, 04:04 PM

344 posts, read 551,154 times
I can't answer your question, but by visiting you did provide proof that someone visited that link, which is not public.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:39 AM

205 posts, read 572,601 times
Pima county has since shut down these speed cameras haven't they? I know this post is old but all 11 cameras I believe are decommissioned and they even released a statement on the last few that were to come down earlier this year that if you were mailed a ticket and it was from a speed camera that it would be removed and no citation issued. The Pima county board of supervisors ended this program.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmurfOnABoat View Post
Pima county has since shut down these speed cameras haven't they? I know this post is old but all 11 cameras I believe are decommissioned and they even released a statement on the last few that were to come down earlier this year that if you were mailed a ticket and it was from a speed camera that it would be removed and no citation issued. The Pima county board of supervisors ended this program.
I'm not familiar with the area since I'm from out of state, but the letter I received was from the Scottsdale Police Department Photo Enforcement Unit for the Tempe area. A Google search says that Tempe is in the Maricopa county.

I haven't received a formal ticket and the letter just asks for me to identify the driver of a car registered to me. It explicitly says that I am not obligated to respond nor is it a court summons request. It also states that there is no fine associated with this notice. However, it does list a citation code and when I go to the website, the citation code corresponds to a charge of $219. The letter states that I appear to be driving over 15mph in a school zone, but does not list my actual speed. I did go to the website to check out my photos and there is a short video clip of my car driving.

Do I just ignore the notice for the time being?

Old 04-02-2014, 12:26 PM

65 posts, read 156,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve941 View Post
I'm not familiar with the area since I'm from out of state, but the letter I received was from the Scottsdale Police Department Photo Enforcement Unit for the Tempe area. A Google search says that Tempe is in the Maricopa county.

I haven't received a formal ticket and the letter just asks for me to identify the driver of a car registered to me. It explicitly says that I am not obligated to respond nor is it a court summons request. It also states that there is no fine associated with this notice. However, it does list a citation code and when I go to the website, the citation code corresponds to a charge of $219. The letter states that I appear to be driving over 15mph in a school zone, but does not list my actual speed. I did go to the website to check out my photos and there is a short video clip of my car driving.

Do I just ignore the notice for the time being?

Just ignore any photo tickets, in order to be valid you have to be served the citation by a process server. Since you live out of state the chances are almost 0% they will send someone to serve you. I have confirmed this with more than 1 traffic attorney. What's strange is any speed ticket must tell you your actual speed.

Old 04-02-2014, 05:31 PM

3,610 posts, read 1,206,063 times
Drivers beware, the city's red light cameras are still up and running.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumamoc View Post
Drivers beware, the city's red light cameras are still up and running.
The camera was at an elementary school and not a stop light. The violation was for speeding in a school zone.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:19 AM

65 posts, read 156,963 times
Does anyone know how it came about that the speed cameras in Tucson have been shut down, but the red light cameras still active? I know that the speed cameras are inactive, but they are still up. Is there any plan to take them down and sell them to a city that allows them or are they still up because officials are hoping to get them activated again?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson