Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2013, 07:15 AM

68 posts, read 196,006 times

Advertisements

What is meant by south Tucson in terms of an area/roads etc. Often, I am told to avoid southern parts for safety reasons. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 09:29 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,718,069 times
Are you looking for a retirement or second home? If you do look in the south or west side you need to focus on the perimeter areas. The high crime areas are typically Midvale Park and Sunnyside neighborhoods. They are south of Ajo way. The city of South Tucson on the other hand is north of Ajo Way. I know of two very nice Townhomes in my neighborhood that are attractively priced and both have garages.

Old 06-10-2013, 02:13 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HACESOL View Post
What is meant by south Tucson in terms of an area/roads etc. Often, I am told to avoid southern parts for safety reasons. Thanks
Confusing, isn't it, HACESOL?

There is the Southern section of Tucson (generally speaking anything south of Broadway) and then there is South Tucson which is a separate Incorporated City.

With a few exceptions, while home hunting you are better off focusing on properties North of Broadway or Speedway.

Good Luck

Old 06-10-2013, 07:23 PM

591 posts, read 820,933 times
A part of Tucson you have no business being in.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:53 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,162,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HACESOL View Post
What is meant by south Tucson in terms of an area/roads etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonaZoo View Post
A part of Tucson you have no business being in.
Not a very informative response to a very specific question. You live in Tucson - help her out.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:19 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,573,613 times
South Tucson (capitalized) is a city/town/community. South tucson (not capitalized) is a geographic area within the city limits of Tucson that is really nasty~~crime, drugs, gangs, etc. South Tucson, the city, is pretty nice, whereas south Tucson is definitely not nice.

South Tucson, the city, is pretty much bounded by Kino Pkwy on the East, Ajo Way on the South, I-10 on the West and 22nd Ave on the north. These are approximate boundaries, but close.

South Tucson the neighborhood is bordered on the East by Nogales Highway (I-19) or the airport, Ajo Way on the north, Mission Rd on the west and San Javier Rd on the south. I don't know if Drexel Hill falls into the south Tucson area or not.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:43 PM

721 posts, read 996,456 times
When you say to stay north of Broadway and north of Speedway, I am a bit confused. I was under the impression that there are some lovely older neighborhoods south of those streets. I am thinking of San Clemente around the Reid park area and Sam Hughes neighborhood. Am I incorrect?

Old 07-14-2013, 11:26 PM

135 posts, read 515,898 times
South Tucson or south tucson = lock your doors and be packin...

Old 08-12-2013, 12:01 AM

67 posts, read 224,344 times
For me, personally, it is anything south of 22nd street.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:03 AM

67 posts, read 224,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertaWa View Post
When you say to stay north of Broadway and north of Speedway, I am a bit confused. I was under the impression that there are some lovely older neighborhoods south of those streets. I am thinking of San Clemente around the Reid park area and Sam Hughes neighborhood. Am I incorrect?
Those are nice neighborhoods. Once you're down in town, it can be really hit and miss. I had a friend who lived in town and said they had lots of crime in their neighborhood. She said they did not have the same problem when they lived in Sam Hughes. I don't know if they were lucky, or if there really was a decline for that neighborhood.

I would most definitely look at the Tucson crime maps, though. They're...sobering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson