Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 10:22 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times

Advertisements

I just got back from a monthly trip I make from my home in NW Tucson to Marana on the other side of I-10. I go almost the entire way on Tangerine Road. Except near the intersection of Thornydale, where the speed limit is 45, the entire way the speed limit is 50. I drive 55 because it's obvious everywhere I go in Tucson I'm one of the slower drivers. So you'd assume I'd be OK going five miles over the posted limit.

Today was even worse than usual. EVERY SINGLE CAR that pulled up behind me, on both trips, passed me. Even on parts of the road that are marked for no passing. One car actually used a turn lane to pass me illegally on the right. Of course, there was no sheriff in sight to pull over any of these people, all of whom were going at least 15 miles an hour over the posted limit.

Yet, I have been pulled over on Tangerine Road. In fact, in the eight years I have lived in suburban Tucson, I have been stopped by a Pima County Sheriff's car five times. That's more than I have been pulled over total in my entire driving life, not even counting being stopped at Border Patrol or sobriety checkpoints. I have yet to be ticketed at any of these stops. I am pulled over, asked for my license and registration (always in perfect order), and told I was driving over the speed limit. Yes, Officer, I was driving five miles over because everyone else was going even faster. Then I am detained while they check on their computer to see if I, or my car, has outstanding warrants.

I am always eventually sent on my way with a mumbled lecture about how my driving isn't bad enough that they would ticket me, but I need to slow down. Meanwhile, cars going faster than five miles over the limit are passing us while I sit there like an archenemy of the state. You are probably thinking to yourself, “What kind of car does this woman drive anyway? A red Porsche?” In fact, quite the opposite. My car is a 12-year-old beige Chevrolet compact. I see no reason to trade it in since it gets great gas mileage and has no issues. But it is, in fact, worth far less than most of the vehicles speeding around suburban Tucson.

Today, as I was again being treated by other drivers as the Little Old Lady from Pasadena, it hit me. Am I being pulled over BECAUSE I am driving a car that radiates “low income”? Do these cops stop me expecting to capture a neer-do-well? Does my car fit some kind of profile for drug dealers or shoplifters?

Am I paranoid or could there be some truth to this? Any law enforcement types out there who could enlighten me? Had I actually been given a speeding ticket each time I was stopped I would have lost my license by now! Is some kind of record kept each time so that I've developed a reputation as a chronic speeder? Do I actually have to purchase an SUV, or pick-up truck, or shiny new Camry before the police will leave me alone and let me speed with the rest of Pima County's residents?

Last edited by Jukesgrrl; 08-21-2013 at 11:14 PM.. Reason: format
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 09:58 AM

308 posts, read 790,896 times
Five MPH over isn't much, but it is still over the speed limit. Try going the speed limit the next few times you drive that route and see what happens. If you are pulled over for other moving violations that result in a verbal warning only, then maybe something about you or your vehicle is raising law enforcement's suspicions.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:46 AM

461 posts, read 1,313,272 times
Well, considering you admit you speed (even tho it's just a little over) five times in 8 years isn't that bad at all. I've been pulled over far more than that for the tinted windows on my work car. You never know how many times the other "fast" drivers have been pulled over. I would guess quite a bit? I'd just keep doing what you are doing. At least you aren't getting tickets

Old 08-22-2013, 12:46 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,470,404 times
Think that's my brothers beat, will have to ask him. What time of day is it? Know that if it's after midnight the tolerance for speeding decreases and they start trolling for drunks.

Do know a couple of sheriff's in Arizona that don't like people that drive a Prius and have Obama, Co-exist or other left leaning bumper stickers on their car. If they are bored they will follow the car until the driver gets nervous and screws up. Then it's a quick and easy way to hand out a ticket. So there are just some vehicles that seem to irritate or cause suspicion among LE. I got pulled over earlier this year for drifting lanes ever so slightly while making a right hand turn. I'm sure that the cop was looking for something bigger and just gave me a warning when he could not find anything else.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:57 PM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Just a possibility, Jukesgrrl . . .

Could it be your speedometer is "off" by a few MPH?

I know my Jeep is "off" by almost 10 MPH at about 50 MPH due to oversized tires so I know to keep that in mind when approaching Speed Zones.

Just thinking . . .

Old 08-22-2013, 03:18 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,056,700 times
don't forget the Little Old Lady From Pasadena loved to race her Super Stock Dodge!!......

interesting that you mention you are among the slower drivers and yet you still get pulled over....that's frustrating.....your car doesn't seem unusual enough to be profiled....I'd still be careful with your speed, go with the flow, don't make sudden moves, etc....if it happens again and it looks like the cop is going to give you a warning again, try repeating what you wrote here and see if it IS something

Old 08-22-2013, 05:53 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,716,771 times
Tell your husband you need a new car Jukesgrrl. Its obviously looking like a "tavern car, stoners car, or dirtbags car" Those are terms the police like. I am sure there are others. When a car gets old, gets dents, and is dirty it may very well have a driver without insurance or license or both.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jksn75 View Post
Well, considering you admit you speed (even tho it's just a little over) five times in 8 years isn't that bad at all. I've been pulled over far more than that for the tinted windows on my work car. You never know how many times the other "fast" drivers have been pulled over. I would guess quite a bit? I'd just keep doing what you are doing. At least you aren't getting tickets
I guess I wasn't clear about my normal speed. When I'm driving five miles an hour over it's because others are passing me or riding on my bumper. If I'm on the road by myself, I stick to the correct speed or go slower if the circumstances dictate.

Bummer, I, too, have wondered if my speedometer could be off but (1) the police always admit I wasn't going all that fast and (2) anytime I pass one of those digital radar signs that warns drivers of their speed, it tells me I'm going SLOWER than my speedometer says I'm going. When I drive on River Rd. or First Ave. and I pass a sign, my speedometer will say I'm going 45 and the sign will say between 41 and 43. Which would explain why other drivers are passing me but not why I'm getting pulled over.

I was only stopped after dark once (about 8 p.m.). The other times it was during daylight hours. Once I was stopped on Shannon Rd. at 3 p.m. ON CHRISTMAS DAY and my elderly mother was in the passenger seat. There wasn't a single other car on the road. When I saw the sheriff I looked at my speed and it said 30. I told the sheriff that and said I thought the posted speed was 35. He agreed but claimed it was a construction zone. Meanwhile, the closest construction at the time was on LaCholla, about half a mile away. There was no special speed sign or any orange cones or barriers on Shannon. My mother said the cop was just mad he had to work on Christmas. Again, no ticket, just a rude lecture about how I should "know better." Know what? That he had declared a construction zone with no indications? Mom wanted me to call the sheriff's office and report him for harrassment; needless to say, I refrained.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
Tell your husband you need a new car Jukesgrrl. Its obviously looking like a "tavern car, stoners car, or dirtbags car" Those are terms the police like. I am sure there are others. When a car gets old, gets dents, and is dirty it may very well have a driver without insurance or license or both.
I have had both a husband and a brand-new car. Neither turned out to be worth the expense.

And while my current car is old, it is garage-kept, always clean and waxed, and has no dents at all. Good tires, no broken lights and it passes the emission inspection with flying colors every year. Given this is Tucson, it usually has some dust on it, but the car is sand-colored, so that doesn't even show much.

Old 08-23-2013, 02:02 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,568,915 times
Jukes, I got a new car in January and thought for certain I'd be targeted. I went from a navy blue 2007 Escalade to a bright red 2013 Traverse. So far, so good. I drive the roads you're mentioning all the time. I'm also driving from OV to Tucson Mall area down Oracle, where my son's apartment is and still nothing, so I'm knocking on wood!! I wonder if it could be that the cops think you're attractive and stop you just to check out where you live? I have a friend who's been stopped quite a few times for no reason, and she swears the cops just want to find out her personal information. When they see her car is in joint names with her hubby, they abruptly let her go with some lame warning. Maybe they're hitting on you.

I am a stickler for driving the speed limit, but sometimes, I don't pay attention and drive the same speed as the cars around me. I'll look at my speedometer and freak because I'm going 10mph over the posted limit, just keeping up with the other cars. I slow down, and I get passed by screamin' demons. The drivers here are incredibly polite and courteous compared to Colorado Springs. Those drivers are nuts!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson