Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 11:48 PM

9,600 posts, read 31,688,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Thanks Bummer for the info. I would be working all over the Tucson area so pinpointing an area is difficult. I'm just curious about your take on the housing market. I know in LA area it starting to soft up bit, but of course it is insane anyway. How is the Tucson market?? I'm hoping to take some of the equity in my place and buy something. Why is it you are reluctant to buy from a new home builer. They are offering some incredible incentives. It seems like it would be better to go that route.
More of a "personal thing" for me, Chowhound.

A one word answer would be . . . QUALITY!

The older homes have more character and personality as well as larger lots offering more privacy. Most older homes in this area are solid block construction, not the plywood and the spray on stucco of the new stuff. In comparison, many new homes have postage size lots (unless you choose to move further out of town) and less than high quality construction.

My only first hand experience is the horror stories from two couples who purchased new construction. Granted, most problems were corrected under warranty but not without much grief and aggravation. Who knows how long these homes will hold up.

As for "incredible incentives" . . . due to the huge inventory, I have a feeling you could negotiate a great deal either way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2007, 11:55 AM

18 posts, read 70,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I just wanted you to know where the airport is. If you'd be working in that area or if you don't mind spending hours in your car (you must know by now it's all surface-street traffic unless you utilize I-10), it's obviously your own business and I'm not gonna steer you away from your fun!

Referenced San Diego because the airport happens to be in the heart of the city. Never landed there, but find it somewhat scary...

To me Sahuarita is a strange choice (particularly if you don't have a family), but that's me.
I live down here and don't have kids -- just a wife and 2 dogs. We like the safety factor down here plus the nice neighbors and that "community" feeling...

I enjoy it down here a lot... much more than Tucson.

I have lived on the eastside (Speedway & Houghton), Northwest (Cortaro Farms & Camino de Oeste), and the West side (Starr Pass), and now Rancho Sahuarita... I would recommend Rancho over any of those areas... but that's me

Old 11-23-2007, 03:12 AM

52,203 posts, read 52,636,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonTaco View Post
I live down here and don't have kids -- just a wife and 2 dogs. We like the safety factor down here plus the nice neighbors and that "community" feeling...

I have lived on the eastside (Speedway & Houghton), Northwest (Cortaro Farms & Camino de Oeste), and the West side (Starr Pass), and now Rancho Sahuarita... I would recommend Rancho over any of those areas... but that's me
Thanks for the info. It seems that some people think that Sahuarita is not that desirable. I guess I have to check it out myself. From what you describe it doesn't sound that bad to me

Old 11-23-2007, 09:42 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,139,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonTaco View Post

I've nothing against Sahuarita - to each his own. It's just too far and too underdeveloped for my taste. Peaceful is nice, but not having even a grocery store nearby is too much for me (unless something's changed in the past year). One might as well live in Green Valley. The commute would probably be easier, too. I guess I should've posted this link for everybody who's interested in Sahuarita:

We could use a grocery store, dry cleaner, and gas station.

http://www.ci.sahuarita.az.us/PDFs/News/Workforce.pdf (broken link)

Old 11-23-2007, 10:07 AM

9,600 posts, read 31,688,287 times
Quote:
I've nothing against Sahuarita - to each his own. It's just too far and too underdeveloped for my taste. Peaceful is nice, but not having even a grocery store nearby is too much for me (unless something's changed in the past year). One might as well live in Green Valley. The commute would probably be easier, too. I guess I should've posted this link for everybody who's interested in Sahuarita:

Good post, SierraAZ

I have always lived by the theory that there are no "bad" places to live, nor is there a "perfect" place to live . . . just some are better than others, depending on your needs and lifestyle.

For an older couple or a large family, Sahuarita may be fine but, as you have posted . . . NOT FOR ME.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:30 AM

18 posts, read 70,604 times
Quote:

http://www.ci.sahuarita.az.us/PDFs/News/Workforce.pdf (broken link)
actually... Rancho just got a Shell (opened up last week) + convenience store... and the Fry's signature store opens on 5 december... all on the corner of Rancho Sahuarita Blvd and Sahuarita Road... it takes me about 5 minutes to get there - and I live near the lake... The chase bank is now open and they've started building the chillis

Old 11-27-2007, 01:42 PM

29 posts, read 70,576 times
If you do decide to move to Sahuarita, then consider the Quail Creek Community. It's age restricted. It's very active with endless possibilities for fun and activities whether you are single or married. It's located in Sahuarita but has a Green Valley mailing address. You can presently get some great deals on homes already build (new) or resales. The driving here is much easier than that in Southern California. Good Luck.

Old 11-27-2007, 03:36 PM

1 posts, read 3,127 times
Default rush hour drive

I used to drive to and from work at rush hour from south of Sahuarita to the east side of Tucson, about 35 miles, and coming home at 5:00 it never took me an hour to get home. The traffic here is nothing like so, cal.

Old 11-29-2007, 04:01 PM

3 posts, read 8,595 times
Thumbs up Commuter's breeze

I live in Rancho Sahuarita and we drive our kids to the International School of Tucson every day. It is located on 1st Avenue between Speedway and Grant. It takes us 30 minutes during rush hour, even with the major highway construction project. I travel frequently and the airport is between 15 and 20 minutes from Sahuarita. It takes 30 minutes to get to Orange Grove and I-10. Getting to the east side is a little more punishing, but we take I-10 East to Kolb and it moves pretty fast. Glad their serious about continuing to build and expand major roads as Tucson continues to grow.

Old 11-29-2007, 04:03 PM

3 posts, read 8,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Good post, SierraAZ

I have always lived by the theory that there are no "bad" places to live, nor is there a "perfect" place to live . . . just some are better than others, depending on your needs and lifestyle.

For an older couple or a large family, Sahuarita may be fine but, as you have posted . . . NOT FOR ME.
The most attractive mini-mart / gas station just opened on Sahuarita Road two weeks ago and a huge Fry's Marketplace opens next week. Agree that lack of shopping was problematic before... not any more!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson