U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 07:55 PM

13,044 posts, read 12,373,394 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We're visiting Tucson for a week (staying at JW Marriott out on Starr Pass) and we would like a few suggestions for fine dining -- not corporate chain restaurants). We have a car & can travel anywhere (thanks to GPS).

We like all types of food. Do any of you have suggestions for us?

Thanks!

below is a map of the location we are staying, but we can go anywhere.

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 10:56 PM

29 posts, read 62,549 times
Well - first of all, and depending on where you come from, you need to try the Mexican Food. Even if you come from other cities offering Mexican faire, I'd recommend it as the Sonoran style prevalent in Tucson Mexican restaurants is different from what is often found elsewhere (such as Tex Mex versus Oaxacan versus Chiapas style). My favorites trend away from anything remotely called "fine" dining, so I'll leave the recommendations to others, but take a chance, try some taco trucks and see how you like it! The best, in my book, is El Guero Canelo: http://www.elguerocanelo.com/index2.html - try the original location on S. 12th Ave for some real Tucson flair!

Otherwise, for fine dining, my favorite is always the Flying V at Leow's Ventana Canyon resort. If you don't mind the resort atmosphere, this is a fun place to have a meal and on a nice day or night the patio is really remarkable. https://www.loewshotels.com/restaura...ng-v-bar-grill

The Arizona Inn is also really fantastic - and it's much closer to where you are as well as to other "city" locations: Fine Dining Tucson | AAA Four-Diamond Restaurants Tucson | Arizona Inn, Tucson, AZ

There's a couple to get you started. The food in Tucson is generally very good, so don't be afraid to try something on a whim!

Old 10-03-2013, 10:56 PM

4,203 posts, read 13,113,387 times
have you been here before?...keep in mind that Tucson is a very casual and entirely unpretentious city...in fact, it's a somewhat poor place...however, it seems that on Fridays and Saturdays every decent place in town is packed with diners....for such a less-than-wealthy place, Tucson has many great restaurants...it's just that they aren't "fine dining" in the classic sense.....most of the nationally-famous "expensive" places in town have closed due to lack of interest (or the economy), such as The Tack Room, Anthony's, and Janos....however, here are some independent (non-chain) options still remaining...

Welcome to McMahon's Prime Steakhouse

Fine Dining Tucson | AAA Four-Diamond Restaurants Tucson | Arizona Inn, Tucson, AZ

The Grill - Hacienda del Sol - Tucson -

Vivace by Daniel Scordato | Fine Italian Dining in Tucson

also, no place in southern Arizona has required a tie for dinner in decades....that should give you another clue to the atmosphere!....I'm sure you'll have a great time here....enjoy the dry, warm air

Old 10-03-2013, 11:02 PM

29 posts, read 62,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
...Janos....
But he did open a new place, so not all is lost: Downtown Kitchen - A Janos Creation + An Urban Location

Old 10-03-2013, 11:29 PM

9,532 posts, read 29,310,622 times
"Fine Dining" may be a stretch, SportyandMisty . . .

However, for well prepared food served with a little style you may want to try Jax Kitchen on Oracle just North of Ina for some fairly unique menu items with a very nice selection of wines.

This link may help home

Good Luck and enjoy your Tucson visit.

Last edited by Bummer; 10-04-2013 at 12:27 AM..

Old 10-04-2013, 12:42 AM

8,875 posts, read 15,164,185 times
I also suggest the Arizona Inn, unique to Tucson. If you are booked elsewhere for dinner, at least go for lunch on their patio. The building is beautiful and the history is fascinating, so the place has charms beyond the very fine food (AAA Four Diamond and Conde Nast’s Traveler Gold List).
Fine Dining Tucson | AAA Four-Diamond Restaurants Tucson | Arizona Inn, Tucson, AZ

I highly recommend Tohono Chul Park, a private desert botanical garden, for visitors to Tucson. It's not huge, so you can have a nice turn around the park to work up an appetite before dining. The food is fine but not gourmet, so I suggest lunch rather than dinner. I have family who stay with me twice a year and lunch at Tohono Chul is an absolute must-do for them on every visit. The lovely ambiance of the park makes up for any lack of excellence in food preparation. The buildings are lovely and in addition to the restaurant (called the Garden Bistro) there's a greenhouse where you can purchase native plants and botanic-themed items, as well as a shop that features many fine arts and crafts instead of tourist junk. And after lunch, our first-class gelateria, Frost, is about half a mile away. Amazing flavors and truly Italian preparation.
Tohono Chul
Frostgelato

I often take guests to Firebird's, which is adjacent to La Encantada, the upscale shopping center on Skyline Drive. It's part of a chain, but it doesn't feel like it. It has a beautiful bar, a comfortable dining room, and a wood-fired grill. It's one of the few places where I prefer eating inside rather than on the patio. The menu is simple but has many appealing choices. The food is very good, reasonably priced, and I've had nothing but good luck with the waitstaff. Everyone I've taken there has asked to go back, even my friends from San Diego who have a plethora of good restaurants in their own town.
Tucson, AZ | Firebirds Restaurants

Old 10-04-2013, 02:32 AM

57 posts, read 107,493 times
If downtown wasn't so bad I'd recommend The cafe inside hotel congress or the hub...

I really liked Cayton's at the Ritz Carlton, they do gourmet burgers and adult shakes, things like that. Like a fancy casual lol

Also, North at La Encantada is really good, but then again I feel like most of the restaurants near there might be closer to "fine dining"

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

Old 10-04-2013, 09:22 PM

13,044 posts, read 12,373,394 times
Many thanks for all the suggestions!!!

Old 10-07-2013, 11:49 AM

461 posts, read 1,220,193 times
In addition to the great recommendations above, I always take out-of-town guests to Cafe Poca Cosa downtown. Really good food and unique items. The menu changes daily. I have always ordered the chef's plate/"surprise me" dish....you will get 3 smaller portions of that day's menu items. You won't know what you are getting until they bring it out. Everyone at the table gets something different. I've never been disappointed. Have fun!

Old 10-07-2013, 12:04 PM

713 posts, read 1,356,426 times
Flemings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jksn75 View Post
In addition to the great recommendations above, I always take out-of-town guests to Cafe Poca Cosa downtown. Really good food and unique items. The menu changes daily. I have always ordered the chef's plate/"surprise me" dish....you will get 3 smaller portions of that day's menu items. You won't know what you are getting until they bring it out. Everyone at the table gets something different. I've never been disappointed. Have fun!
i ate there two days ago. good food, but a tad pricey in my book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson