Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 08:59 AM

35 posts, read 73,347 times

Advertisements

I just moved to Tucson in July from Kansas City. I have definitely seen more guns here than I ever did in KC. Being a huge supporter of America, The Constitution, and therefore our right to bear arms, I am happy to say that I feel much more at ease seeing people open carry, as they are not the ones you need to worry about.

RHL, just watch out for the snowbirds... I know it's early yet, but i've already been damn near run off the road 5 times on my motorcycle by people who just don't pay attention while driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 01:17 PM

713 posts, read 1,461,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHLauren View Post

Secondly, I have a more general question. Tucson may be more "liberal," but it's common knowledge Az is a conservative state.
AZ has become a 50/50 state.

why is a firearm any different than driving a car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHS_GUY View Post
... i've already been damn near run off the road 5 times on my motorcycle by people who just don't pay attention while driving.
yep, bad drivers all around. funny, just came back from CA, they drive "crazy" over there, but still seem to be good drivers. CA has need to drive and drive fast, thus their drivers seem to be "better" then what i see in tucson. the perception of "good" drivers has to do with everyone knowing the "rules" so that everyone can move fast and safe. use blinkers, use your damn mirrors, check over shoulder, speed up on the on ramps, dont stop in those turns that lead you to dedicated lane, the "no U turn" signs mean just that, etc etc.

what i dont like about tucson roads is, some roads have before green turns, most others after red. how about pick one and stick with it.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:03 PM

175 posts, read 315,305 times
I have lived here in Tucson almost 25 years now. There is no blood in the street, gun fights at any corral, or anything like that. You are actually safer in Tucson than you will be in most eastern cities. Do people have guns, yeah...so? One of the more positive attitudes of the West is, you mind your business, I'll mind mine. Most of the people you see carrying are old pro-gun transplants from other states who suddenly found what freedom really is. Tucson is a liberal city, no doubt about it. It is also a fairly conservative city. The weirdo libs make up about 10% of the population, the weirdo ultra-conservatives make up about 10%, that means the rest of us normal folks make up the rest of the percentages. Politics is not a hot topic for Tucsonians. If you start talking poltics in the wrong enviornment, people will just walk away from you. Put away your fears, kick back and enjoy life.

Old 10-26-2013, 10:12 PM

20 posts, read 33,366 times
Smile Tucson's cool, guns or no guns

Hi there...very glad to welcome a self-diagnosed liberal Easterner to Tucson; we need more of you EVERYWHERE! Not that i'm a political/spiritual/social ideologue (ho, ho). I think you'll find life very comfortable here socially. Come as YOU are and be true to yourself. I moved here nearly six months ago (the hottest time of year when I learned many folks who can head for higher and cooler elevations) and felt it's the best move I've ever made. My previous life was lived in Buffalo, NY (where you listed a time of residence). I am NOT looking back!

I've found that Tucsonans have a certain rugged independence and type of pride in who they are. Yet they are tolerant of who others are and friendly enough to offer their help and suggestions if asked. I think honesty is prized and a special quality of life here.

Although i'm an Army veteran and skilled in firearms, I was hassled a little by friends Back East who warned me of the crazy, tobacco-spittin' gunslingers out here. Maybe they didn't realize how much they were joking about it. Today, this very day, is the ONLY time in all my travels around this great Pima County where I saw at least ONE person openly carrying a handgun. The irony of the occurrence wasn't lost on me when I saw a sign that read "No loaded weapons beyond this point." The occasion was the Tucson Gun Show at the county fairgrounds. Yes, I confess to you, myself and all my "liberal" and "average" friends alike that I still retain the right to appreciate fine firearms and their history in the founding and continuance of our nation. I did get preached a sermon there about patriots and those hateful people that want to disarm same, but I just smiled and moved on down the line. I like the live-and-let-live flavor that more typically defines life here!

I have no idea what life in the financial world is like hereabouts, but I personally wouldn't "sell out" my true self in an occupation that would require that of me.

My wife and I live I little ways up toward the Catalina Mountains and find everything we need to live a contented and satisfied life here -- and then there's the "bonus" provided by other forces called...SUN, SUN, SUN!!! Welcome!

Old 10-27-2013, 02:43 AM

31,040 posts, read 22,077,427 times
3rd gen Tucsonan here. More than 1/2 of my family are dem, but definately the blue dog type. We were all raised with guns in the house and its no big deal carrying. The reason why you dont see them is we are carrying them concealed. We aren't going to change just because people moving here have gun phobia. Look at Chicago, they have extremely restrictive gun laws and they have many more gun incidentices than az.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:36 PM

713 posts, read 1,461,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
3rd gen Tucsonan here. More than 1/2 of my family are dem, but definately the blue dog type. We were all raised with guns in the house and its no big deal carrying. The reason why you dont see them is we are carrying them concealed. We aren't going to change just because people moving here have gun phobia. Look at Chicago, they have extremely restrictive gun laws and they have many more gun incidentices than az.
because putting restrictions on law abiding citizens does not affect criminal activities, it only makes their job of being a punk easier.

Old 10-29-2013, 02:36 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
3rd gen Tucsonan here ... Look at Chicago, they have extremely restrictive gun laws and they have many more gun incidentices than az.
Ah, the danger of reading headlines out of context. You are correct to say that Illinois has restrictive gun laws. The fifth most restrictive in the nation, as compared to Arizona, where they are the second LEAST restrictive. But the conclusion you drew from that doesn't address the OP in any way. The only way to compare factually one state to another in the incidents of firearms deaths is to measure deaths per capita (those statistics aren't available by city or county to my knowledge). The Centers for Disease Control did that last in 2010. Illinois had 8 deaths due to firearms per 100,000 residents. Arizona had 15 per 100,000 residents. Illinois has almost twice as many people as Arizona (12.8 million vs. 6.5 million). Yet we have almost twice as many gun deaths per capita. (The states that exceed us are: Louisiana, Mississippi, Alaska, Alabama, Nevada, and Arkansas; Tennessee and New Mexico also have 15). The OP said she was uncomfortable with guns and wondered if they would influence her life here. You make a broad, sweeping statement about CHICAGO as if that should have an influence on her decision. Not relevant unless she's thinking about moving to Chicago. I'm not saying the statistic I offer should influence the OP in any way. I, too, am uncomfortable with guns and I live here willingly. But you are putting your head in the sand if you think headlines about Chicago have any impact on gun safety or lack thereof in Tucson. [Sorry about the lack of paragraphs. The C-D website is taking them, and all other formatting, out. What's up with that?]

Old 10-29-2013, 04:55 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,085,200 times
Quote:
But in Tucson, will I see them?
Hardly ever, unless you go to a gun shop or range.

Quote:
Will I be near them?
Oh yeah. Pretty much whenever you go anywhere.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:26 AM

17 posts, read 34,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
Will you see guns? Probably, if you are looking for them. Maybe not at a social gathering, but out riding your bike, hiking on a trail, or even driving on the highway (I've seen several motorcyclists wearing guns, both in Phoenix and Tucson). Not only is open carry legal in Arizona, but so is concealed carry. Permits are not required, so it's likely more people than you will see are carrying.

I haven't seen a lot of open carrying but I have seen (and done) it in more wilderness areas.
"Not only is open carry legal in Arizona, but so is concealed carry. Permits are not required"
I don't know how long you've been in Arizona, or where you get your information, but "concealed carry" - "DEFINITELY" requires, not only a "permit", but you must also take and pass a "concealed carry course" before you can get one. It's unconscionable to pass ignorant mis-information along to a newcomer and dangerous for you not to know the law.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:33 AM

402 posts, read 686,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowcatcher View Post
I have lived here in Tucson almost 25 years now. There is no blood in the street, gun fights at any corral, or anything like that. You are actually safer in Tucson than you will be in most eastern cities. Do people have guns, yeah...so? One of the more positive attitudes of the West is, you mind your business, I'll mind mine. Most of the people you see carrying are old pro-gun transplants from other states who suddenly found what freedom really is. Tucson is a liberal city, no doubt about it. It is also a fairly conservative city. The weirdo libs make up about 10% of the population, the weirdo ultra-conservatives make up about 10%, that means the rest of us normal folks make up the rest of the percentages. Politics is not a hot topic for Tucsonians. If you start talking poltics in the wrong enviornment, people will just walk away from you. Put away your fears, kick back and enjoy life.
Well said!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson