Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 08:06 AM

713 posts, read 1,461,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlaw View Post
Well said!
well, you quoted something that is not 100% true. just last night there was shooting at golden nugget near 1st and grant. Police searching for suspects after shooting outside Tucson bar - www.1041thetruth.com

there are occasional shootings, but at least the playing field is even on both sides (legally, etc).

personally, i feel better knowing that i and others are ccw vs states like NY where its the armed criminal vs un-armed you (by law).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 02:31 PM

175 posts, read 315,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Home_Kid View Post
well, you quoted something that is not 100% true. just last night there was shooting at golden nugget near 1st and grant. Police searching for suspects after shooting outside Tucson bar - www.1041thetruth.com

there are occasional shootings, but at least the playing field is even on both sides (legally, etc).

personally, i feel better knowing that i and others are ccw vs states like NY where its the armed criminal vs un-armed you (by law).
What was incorrect about what I assume was my post? You are safer in Tucson than every major Eastern City. Just look at the murders/shootings per 100,000 at the FBI stats web page.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:57 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,799,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xp701 View Post
"Not only is open carry legal in Arizona, but so is concealed carry. Permits are not required"
I don't know how long you've been in Arizona, or where you get your information, but "concealed carry" - "DEFINITELY" requires, not only a "permit", but you must also take and pass a "concealed carry course" before you can get one. It's unconscionable to pass ignorant mis-information along to a newcomer and dangerous for you not to know the law.
XP701 your information is out of date. Some years ago a statute was passed permitting the non-permit carrying of concealed handguns in AZ. There are two reasons a person would want a permit, however:

1-with a concealed handgun permit you may be armed in an establishment that serves alcohol, so long as you do not consume any yourself. A person without a permit may not carry a firearm in such a location.

2-You may lawfully be within 1,000 feet of a school while armed (this is a federal statute).

From the site 'handgunlaw" http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/arizona.pdf

"Arizona has passed “Permit less Carry.” That means anyone who can legally own/purchase a firearm
and is 21 or older can carry it concealed without any type of permit/license. This new law becomes effective July 29, 2010. Those who wish to carry in Arizona without a permit/license from AZ or any other state can not carry in the places listed in the “Places Off Limits Even With a Permit’ section below. Arizona did not remove other restrictions in their law when they passed Permitless Carry. If you choose to carry without a permit from Arizona or any other state you must also abide by the following restriction."

Old 11-10-2013, 04:18 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,799,200 times
Oh, one last thing. Got into Green Valley (just south of Tucson) last night. Wife and I went food shopping at local Safeway. Passed a man while in the parking lot who was carrying an exposed handgun. I said "hi" and kept walking. I survived.

Old 11-10-2013, 04:49 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,333,999 times
Personally, my politics are libertarian, sometimes called "classical (Voltaire-style) liberalism" rather than what passes for "Liberal" today, but is actually quite authoritarian; I don't own a firearm, have never handled a pistol, shotgun, or any rifle bigger than a 22-caliber. But I'm very glad that when the average young man from a rural area enters the armed forces, it's likely he already knows how to handle a rifle, and that the vast majority of the people legally authorized to carry weapons, concealed or not, are responsible, law abiding citizens.

The basic difference between conservative/libertarian and "Establishment Liberal" thinking is this.

Conservatives know what they have (and I'm speaking more of individual rights than wealth) and want to keep it.

Self-proclaimed "liberals" think they know what's best for everybody and want to force it on all of us.

It's your choice, and you have every right to it. But if you insist upon restricting what I, and many others view as our personal concerns alone, please stay in a state where those ideas have already been inflicted.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 11-10-2013 at 05:19 PM..

Old 11-10-2013, 05:36 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleGirly View Post
I love to frequent the business that have the NO GUNS Allowed sign in the window or front door. I too, don't want to be around anyone sporting a gun, ever.

So sue me.
That is really smart. Substitute NO GUNS allowed for, Come On In and Rob Us Because Nobody Will Stop You We'll Just Call The Police If We're Still Alive.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:17 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,987,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xp701 View Post
"Not only is open carry legal in Arizona, but so is concealed carry. Permits are not required"
I don't know how long you've been in Arizona, or where you get your information, but "concealed carry" - "DEFINITELY" requires, not only a "permit", but you must also take and pass a "concealed carry course" before you can get one. It's unconscionable to pass ignorant mis-information along to a newcomer and dangerous for you not to know the law.
Before calling someone else's posts ignorant, you may want to be sure you have your facts straight. As another person has already pointed out, concealed carry in Arizona no longer requires a permit. As a responsible, legal gun owner I make it a point to know the laws wherever I live.

I'll accept your apology whenever you feel like posting it. I won't, however, hold my breath.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:19 AM

59 posts, read 147,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
That is really smart. Substitute NO GUNS allowed for, Come On In and Rob Us Because Nobody Will Stop You We'll Just Call The Police If We're Still Alive.
LOL, guess you've never lived abroad where guns are not carried and citizens of that country survive all day long.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:09 PM

713 posts, read 1,461,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowcatcher View Post
What was incorrect about what I assume was my post? You are safer in Tucson than every major Eastern City. Just look at the murders/shootings per 100,000 at the FBI stats web page.
the quote itself was not accurate. there are shootings on the streets, perhaps not like other cities, but Tucson is not shootings-free, etc.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:15 AM

42 posts, read 68,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHLauren View Post
Hello everyone. Thanks for your time if you choose to read this.

I am moving to Tucson. I have never been to Arizona. I'm an upbeat and kind professional young-ish woman who is looking forward to settling in Tucson and making it my long-term home. It may seem strange to move to a place I've never been, but I've done it plenty of times successfully. And I firmly believe that if a person is a kind, caring, upbeat, and responsible person, she will find the same in others no matter where she goes.

I will have a lot to learn about the culture of Arizona. (I've called, among other places, Buffalo, NYC, San Fran, and LA home in the past.) I will respect and learn to appreciate cultural differences. I'm excited! And diversity of all kinds makes America and this earth great - it's my pleasure to experience it. But I have some concerns...

First of all, I know there are a lot of firearms in Az. Plenty of people like and use guns regularly. I know it's commonplace for lots of people to be around and use guns. I read western novels, watch the news, have friends who hunt... the whole deal. Guns have their place. But I personally don't like them. This will never change. I don't like being around them. It's wholly unnatural for me and goes against my very soul. I don't put my opinion on others, and my choice to never be around them nor give guns any place in my life is my choice, and my choice alone. But in Tucson, will I see them? Will I be near them? If I make new friends and go to a house party or something, will someone bring one out casually? It that a social norm? If something like that happens, how to I voice that I am uncomfortable? (At this point I just imagine myself sprinting for the door.) Honestly, I'm not scared of much, but having someone tease me for being afraid of guns while a gun is around is my worst nightmare. Are gun owners respectful of non-gun people? What do I need to know?

Secondly, I have a more general question. Tucson may be more "liberal," but it's common knowledge Az is a conservative state. Now, to me Rep/Dem or Cons/Lib labels are tiresome. But they can be accurate, and some people live by dualities. I come up with my own opinions on things. It's a great part of being a human being! Thinking! Free will to decide my own beliefs! But as it turns out, a lot of my views end up being more "liberal." Now, of course I know politics, religion, etc aren't polite conversation; I am respectful of who's around when conversations like this are going on. But I also love to chat about deep and meaningful things... Again, at a party or out with new people... do I need to watch myself? Will I gain enemies (I've never had one)? Will I be ostracized by my acquaintances and peers? Should I really really watch my mouth at work (I work in finance)? Perhaps this question isn't very focused... but maybe there's someone out there with a perspective of being more "liberal" while living in Tucson?

Thanks so much and perhaps we'll cross paths trail running, road cycling, at a farmers' market, or at work!
Lauren
If you live in Pima County, you can be open with your political beliefs. Elsewhere, I am not too sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson