U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 03:47 PM

371 posts, read 603,130 times

Advertisements

Yellowbelle: I've checked AirBnB, etc. Too expensive. I'm on a budget. I also need kitchen access, so a regular hotel would be difficult.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 06:27 PM

103 posts, read 253,483 times
A good resource for your circumstances might be VRBO.com ( VRBO® is Vacation Rentals By Owner ) which stands for Vacation Rental By Owner. I believe there's over 300 Tucson listings ranging from moderately priced small places to the very luxurious.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:43 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,147,463 times
I tend to agree with the posters who say vacation rentals. You might even talk to some property management companies about condo, apartment and private home listings they have. For example, my son lives near the Tucson Mall which has just about every restaurant, store, anything you can imagine within walking distance (he doesn't have a car, either), and he got a six month listing for a 1 BR apt for $500/mo after you add in utilities. That's another option you might consider.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:53 PM

8,873 posts, read 15,604,537 times
There is one sentence buried in the OP's post that hasn't been addressed. Oro Valley is not crime-ridden. In fact, the master-planned community of OV has its own police force and I've heard it described as having more officers-per-resident than any city in the state of Arizona. Not that they're needed for any heavy duty policing. A drunk-and-disorderly at the country club is a major crime in Oro Valley. Most of the property crime is caused by upper-middle-class teens with drug habits. The police there are also more diligent than any place in Metro Tucson at making sure residents and visitors obey traffic laws.

While the Northwest suburb of Tucson lacks some of the charm and diversity that can be found in the city, it is by-and-large newer, cleaner, and more contemporary. The OP is correct in saying there is good bus service on Ina Road and s/he would be able to travel to the very active Tucson Mall area at N. Oracle and River Road or to the East Side or the University without much trouble.

Since I live in Tucson, I don't have a lot of experience with hotels here. As for the topic of bugs ... personally I don't think the desert is an ideal residence for people with insect, snake, or spider phobias. I'm on a quarterly program with a respected local exterminator (and a separate annual program specifically to guard against termites) and I still get bugs in my house once in awhile. I don't love them either but they are as common in Tucson as weeds.

Old 01-09-2014, 02:26 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,147,463 times
I live in OV and I think it's one of the safest areas of the Tucson metro. During Christmas, I had no issues going to the Oro Valley Marketplace Center, or to the Target Center at 1st and Oracle. Soon, there will be a CVS, Mattress King, Panera Bread and "luxury" apartments across from Fry's/Target/Ross/Petsmart.....Like Jukes said, shoplifting tops our major crimes unit's rosters each day. We get an occasional car break-in or a house break-in, but rarely. Most crimes are shoplifting, DUI, out past curfew, loud music, a domestic fight or two, but nothing big. Even where my son lives at 1st and Wetmore, the crime isn't bad.

As for bugs...I live in a condo that has an exterminator for termites, pack rats and scorpions (supposedly), but I was getting quite a few cockroaches and scorpions when we first moved in (and I'm on the 2nd floor), that we hired the mouse-car company to come out 4x a year. I live in the foothills, so there's a lot of "au naturel" terrain and landscaping which the critters like. Turns out, we didn't have sewer roaches like most do, ours were in our attic, and the scorpions weren't bark scorpions (whew!!!), but once the roaches were eradicated from my attic, I haven't seen one and I have seen just one scorpion. I have glue boards just about everywhere and extras if I see a critter I don't like, but honestly, I really don't have a bug problem anymore.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:46 AM

371 posts, read 603,130 times
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the replies. Sorry if I miss anything b/c I'm in a bit of a rush:

BTW, I'm trying to avoid being one of those "But but but but but" people who just refuse all suggestions. I'm trying to keep both everything you say along with my own research and budget in mind.

No one seems particularly concerned about the credit issue -- does that mean it wouldn't be so much of a problem if I could show proof of income? Because with 1-beds going for $500-$550, I can pay that easily. I just am going to have scarred credit scores for a while.

Oro Valley crime: Excellent to hear that's a good area, and thank you for confirming the bus service on Ina is good.

Bugs: Yeah, after experiences in Texas and San Diego (Texas should be self-explanatory; San Diego: termites, ants, and crickets -- they aren't so harmful, but when you get a lot of them, they become creepy -- and certain nasty spiders), dealing with a new set of bugs isn't such a happy thought for me. If I were to stay here or go to Texas, I know what I'm dealing with and where to avoid in order to stay away from nastier bugs.

Why is it, though, that people who move into apartments there say they see so many roaches? Even in most parts of Texas, if the complex had monthly perimeter sprays and kept an eye on things, you wouldn't see that many -- no small ones, and only the occasional big one wandering inside in summer. Or is Tucson like Houston -- you just can't really ever get rid of roaches?

Vacation rentals: I checked VRBO, and the lowest prices I found were still a few hundred more than the extended stays I've been looking at.

Apartments: I agree that an apartment would be great! Though I'd still need a place to stay while checking them out, which could take time. So that leads me back to the extended stay.

Again, I'm dealing with surprise news and a tight budget, so I'm sure I seem more contrary than I mean to. But I do have some constraints here....

Thanks.

Old 01-19-2014, 11:11 AM

299 posts, read 508,294 times
Everywhere I go I take baking soda with me-- I fill an empty cream cheese or butter container with the b soda, use a plastic teaspoon and sprinkle around the perimeters of all rooms, bathroom, kitchen area, plus put some over the door sill. I have lived in a number of places over the years that had roaches/ water bugs and that's how I got rid of them. If you have pets just drop some behind furniture where they cannot get under or behind.

I moved into this 2-bedroom apt 2-1/2 yrs ago, did not have time to do the baking soda routine before moving in. Move in day-- at night there were literally 50 or more running around so I put the b soda around, including closets, and door sills. Two weeks later less roaches, 6-7 weeks completely gone. I suspect there was a nest since my apt had been empty for over a year. When I first moved in there also were spiders coming up from behind the stove so I dumped b soda there. Also put it on the window sills outside and in-- very sparsley there and at the section of window that was not open so the b soda would not blow around/get airborne inside.

If roaches/babies are found in cupboards I spread baking soda all around in the 'cracks' and put transparent plastic shelf paper over that for dishes. Can see if any bugs are under there, and probably dead.

Old 01-22-2014, 05:40 PM

44 posts, read 86,434 times
Hi, re: the bug question. We moved from Mass. in '09 and like you had heard many things about checking your shoes, etc. We live inside a development now and have seen maybe 3 scorpions inside our house, little tiny ones in the sinks and tub. One baby snake on the patio. What this told us was, it's time to exterminate the house and yard. Keep the tiny bugs away and the bigger pests will be gone too. We never check our shoes or the bed. And, the more rural your area is, the more critters you're likely to find. We've never had a cockroach at home, but I occasionally get one on my desk at work (near the University). And boy did I scream like a girl! LOL HUGE. ACK. But it's rare. Probably nothing compared to Texas.

No telling what an extended-stay building could have. If it's older and they're in the walls....who knows. I don't have much experience on that front. Sorry. But good luck in your search!

Old 03-21-2014, 06:15 AM

112 posts, read 257,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
I live in OV and I think it's one of the safest areas of the Tucson metro. During Christmas, I had no issues going to the Oro Valley Marketplace Center, or to the Target Center at 1st and Oracle. Soon, there will be a CVS, Mattress King, Panera Bread and "luxury" apartments across from Fry's/Target/Ross/Petsmart.....Like Jukes said, shoplifting tops our major crimes unit's rosters each day. We get an occasional car break-in or a house break-in, but rarely. Most crimes are shoplifting, DUI, out past curfew, loud music, a domestic fight or two, but nothing big. Even where my son lives at 1st and Wetmore, the crime isn't bad.

As for bugs...I live in a condo that has an exterminator for termites, pack rats and scorpions (supposedly), but I was getting quite a few cockroaches and scorpions when we first moved in (and I'm on the 2nd floor), that we hired the mouse-car company to come out 4x a year. I live in the foothills, so there's a lot of "au naturel" terrain and landscaping which the critters like. Turns out, we didn't have sewer roaches like most do, ours were in our attic, and the scorpions weren't bark scorpions (whew!!!), but once the roaches were eradicated from my attic, I haven't seen one and I have seen just one scorpion. I have glue boards just about everywhere and extras if I see a critter I don't like, but honestly, I really don't have a bug problem anymore.

Tables turned and maybe I can help you for a change . I have 2 words for you PEST OFFENSE !! That "seen on TV" thing you plug into your electrical socket to get rid of bugs (i.e. roaches). I swear by it!! About 15 years ago I bought a condo in San Diego that was roach infested. I was living in an apartment when I purchased the condo and I kept living in the apartment for 2 months after purchase. Immediately I plugged in a PEST OFFENSE and would periodically go check on the condo. Within the 1st week those buggers were dropping like flies. When I did move into the condo the bug problem was solved and I completed the renovations. In the 9-10 years I lived there maybe 2 roaches got through the "noise barrier". The PEST OFFENSE is like turning the sterio up too loud and the bugs just don't want to be around and they leave. It won't harm cats or dogs, but if you have a hampster or the like I'd talk with your vet to make sure it's safe. I use PEST OFFENSE to this day (California to Colorado and now here to Tucson).

Old 03-21-2014, 07:10 AM

112 posts, read 257,405 times
To the OP... Periodically I pop into see what's happening so, I may have missed your timeline but if you're still there...

It wouldn't hurt to look inside your shoes before putting them on even though I usually don't.
Crawl into your bed and have sweet dreams.
Enjoy relaxing on your couch.
Keeping food in containers is wise no matter where you live.

I bought a BRAND NEW home here in Tucson. I emphasize “brandnew” because it doesn’t matter when, or where, your home was built bugs come with the territory…they just do. As long as you keep your space clean you’ll be fine, but that doesn’t mean you stop keeping a watchful eye. Four days after moving into my “brand new” home I woke up about 1:00am and saw all 3 of our cats sitting facing the same spot on the baseboard. Needless to say, I let out a holler that would wake the dead!! Thankfully my granddaughter, who lives with me, was quick to react to my plea to grab a bunch of paper towels and in one fell swoop I sent that sucker to bug heaven. It was a Bark Scorpion!! I immediately contacted a pest control company who since then services my home on a regular basis. I had put my PEST OFFENSE in my car so it wouldn’t get lost in the move and I plugged that in!! For the past couple of years now no more bugs or creepy crawlers inside my home, but there were 3 dead Bark Scorpions outside my front door. The land being developed has stirred up their nesting areas and you learn when they are normally active. You can read my reply to Marcy1210, just prior to this, more about the PEST OFFENSE

Now that I’m getting into fruit and veggie gardening and the dog adopted us my pest control company uses organic/natural on the outside and with the PEST OFFENSE inside we’re good to go!! Oh, and the female Road Runner who frequently visits our yard is ALWAYS a welcomed visitor because Road Runners keep RattleSnakes away!!

Last edited by finernfrogfur; 03-21-2014 at 07:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson