U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 10:47 PM

18 posts, read 22,449 times

Advertisements

Peter:

1) Water is from wells and supplied through Arizona Water Company. Arizona Water Company

2) Lot fees can be as low as zero, though that gets you a view of an earthen berm about 12 feet high with a house perched atop that. Recent lot premiums are as high as $175k for prime golf course or desert lots. Most are in the $25k to $50k range for minimal views.

3) I have no idea of a "buy-in" fee. I know that's a feature at Green Valley.

4) You will NEVER find a fixed HOA fee. All are contractually subject to change. (Tell me, do you have anything in your life that is a fixed fee forever?)

5) We just committed to a new build. It was a long search, but we are quite happy with our decision and await our move-in. We found the people to be uniformly friendly and delightful (or at least all we met), facilities seem better than most locations, and we actually like being outside of the "tract plans" in the city areas. We also like the idea that SBR has reached the critical mass where you aren't a pioneer, but you aren't coming into an overly established community where it can be tough to break into the social circles. The new clubhouse should be a big step forward when finished in a few months.

We researched and considered over 50 of the 55+ communities across the country. We visited at least 20. SBR was our choice.

A couple of things to remember - the house you see as a model is far from the base price you see in the brochure. Our option prices added another 30% to that base price, and that's without the lot premium which was another chunk of change. We still have landscaping as well, plus W/D, fridge and ceiling fans. SBR is "out there" - if you can't handle being five miles from a grocery store or 15 miles from quality restaurants, it's not for you. Take the time to figure out what you really want from your new community.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 11:21 AM

15,164 posts, read 25,968,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CV880 View Post
3) I have no idea of a "buy-in" fee. I know that's a feature at Green Valley.

For the record, Green Valley Recreation charges a $2400 fee when buying into a deeded property That is a one-time fee. In addition, the annual fees are $485.

The Saddlebrooke Ranch annual fees are $2027 per year.
Luxury Retirement Communities for Active Adults and 55+ Seniors saddlebrooke-ranch- HOA Fees

Either way, you are going to pay for the amenities of the community.

=============================

One thing that concerns me about the Robson communities as a whole is that the developer (Robson) in many of the communities controls three of the five Board of Directors positions and the residents elect the other two.

Personally, I would not be comfortable with that.

Old 08-07-2017, 06:09 PM

18 posts, read 22,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
One thing that concerns me about the Robson communities as a whole is that the developer (Robson) in many of the communities controls three of the five Board of Directors positions and the residents elect the other two.

Personally, I would not be comfortable with that.
I gave that some good consideration. I came to the conclusion that's actually a beneficial thing for several reasons.

1) In a developing community, the builder is actively trying to sell lots and homes. It is in his interest to have the facilities both diverse and in top condition to make the community attractive to potential buyers. Thus, those interests tend to run in sync with residents.

2) The level of HOA fees is part of the overall purchase decision. While working on goal #1 comes first, the builder also has an incentive to try to keep HOA fees reasonable to potential buyers. Again, interests align.

3) It's not in the builder's interest to become too extravagant, nor too frugal. Plus, they have decades of experience in running HOAs and maintaining communities.

4) This process will continue through much of the build-out period. Given that SBR is building about 150 homes a year, it is going to take at least 20 years to get to a 4000 home build-out. For much of that time, goals #1 and #2 will still be strong for the developer.

5) I am a pragmatic realist. I hope to be able to live in my new home for 15+ years. If I make 20, I'll be quite happy and not really care about the HOA fee at that time.

I have seen when an HOA gets taken over by budget cutters who primarily want to save some of their own money. Corners get cut and the delightful community you bought into is now going downhill. And by the time folks wake up and vote them out, the damage is done.

Now, please point out the holes in my logic. I can completely see why you could want resident's control in a built-out community (such as Sun Lakes or SB). But I don't think it is necessarily bad when a community is about 1/4 of its projected size.

Old 06-23-2019, 02:49 PM

96 posts, read 268,268 times
Look at all the options before you buy at the Saddlebrooke Ranch. You may find it meets your needs but costs and other lifestyle factors may have you considering the Main Saddlebrooke or the Preserve part of Saddlebrooke vs the Saddlebrooke Ranch. There use to be a bigger cost advantage to Saddlebrooke Ranch but not anymore.
Although Robson still building at main SB does not control main Saddlebrooke HOA. He does control the Ranch.
Views, houses, wider streets, less wind, wider variety of amenities and with larger lots at main Saddlebrooke or the Preserve area of Saddlebrooke. Be sure and check out Preserve Restaurant for killer idea of the views.
Multiple clubhouse complexes, multiple restaurants and a great Performing Arts Center.
Ranch is also nice. The weather is much much better than Florida or Texas. Have experienced both. The lack of humidity being the big factor.

Last edited by mddd; 06-23-2019 at 02:51 PM.. Reason: Error

Old 06-23-2019, 03:02 PM

96 posts, read 268,268 times
Surprised no one replied. So unsure you still need info. Some changes to the area include:

The Ranch fees and costs are as high or higher than the Main Saddlebrooke.
The builder started minimum food and beverage fees also.

Main Saddlebrooke along with the Preserve section are managed by HOA2 of Saddlebrooke not the developer. Although there are multiple golf courses at Saddlebrooke, HOA2 has pretty healthy reserves and are very efficient with funding, so HOA fees are extremely reasonable. We compared to many similar communities and they seem to be one of the best.

Lots at ranch and premiums are equal or higher than the Preserve for smaller lots and streets.
Our neighbor in Saddlebrooke just built home here and moved from the Ranch for several factors like ranch has smaller lots, no sidewalks and less variety for amenities. And they found better views from homes at Saddlebrooke since it is right next to the mountains.

I like the ranch also for some reasons,so you should carefully evaluate your preferences and look at all the costs before purchase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson