U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 03:50 PM

2 posts, read 2,591 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I'm a spirituality-oriented person, and psychotherapist, interested in moving. And I am curious how Tucson fairs in this area. While it might not be a majority of the Tucson population, are there enough spiritually oriented and open-minded people (be it Buddhism,metaphysics, etc) for myself to find there for personal and professional interests?
I appreciate your input. Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 04:51 PM

10,386 posts, read 22,212,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N&1234 View Post
Hello all,

I'm a spirituality-oriented person, and psychotherapist, interested in moving. And I am curious how Tucson fairs in this area. While it might not be a majority of the Tucson population, are there enough spiritually oriented and open-minded people (be it Buddhism,metaphysics, etc) for myself to find there for personal and professional interests?
I appreciate your input. Thank you!
Sedona is the go ot place for that kind of thing as far as I know. Perhaps Tucson has some spitual elements. It's is quite beautiful there.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:52 PM

2,781 posts, read 2,853,814 times
There's an active IONS group here, as well as quite a few other things

Old 02-26-2014, 08:17 PM

175 posts, read 302,757 times
Why is it when someone is contemplating moving to Tucson they always think the city is full of yokels? Bottom line, why are you moving here if you don't know anything about the area? You will find the same percentage of the folks you are looking for here as you will anywhere else. We are a big city, and actually have running water in our houses.

Old 02-27-2014, 01:19 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,150,520 times
shadowcatcher, that was a harsh response to an honest question. Why would you think someone who is spiritual a yokel? The OP is interested in the spiritual side of Tucson as they're a psychotherapist, so they have the flexibility to move around. People do it all the time. Instead of putting them down, try helping them. They're interested in moving here, help them find answers to their questions.

There are a lot of Yoga groups in Tucson (check Yellow Pages, Yelp, etc), but I'm not familliar with the rest. Tucson, having an American Indian, Hispanic and Spanish background does have a spritual history. You might try Googling some of your interests and seeing what you can find....

Old 02-27-2014, 01:37 PM

175 posts, read 302,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
shadowcatcher, that was a harsh response to an honest question. Why would you think someone who is spiritual a yokel? The OP is interested in the spiritual side of Tucson as they're a psychotherapist, so they have the flexibility to move around. People do it all the time. Instead of putting them down, try helping them. They're interested in moving here, help them find answers to their questions.
Marcy, not trying to pick a fight. You misquoted me or misread what I said. I asked why people who know nothing about Tucson always ask, "Will I see guns?", "Are there any intellectually inclined people in Tucson?", "Are there libraries in Tucson?" "Who cleans up the horse poop on the streets?". These are not made up, these questions all come from here at one time or another. Sometimes I really feel that these questions are from people looking down their noses at us. And present a holier than thou attitude about their pending move here. I understand wanderlust. I have lived in six states and three countries. But really, do some research, just don't show up.

Old 02-28-2014, 01:05 PM

522 posts, read 1,509,533 times
shadowcatcher, I can understand some of what you state, but as someone that will be moving to Tucson at some point, I want to chime in.

We have visited Tucson, specifically to learn more about the city and surrounding area as well as looking at houses/neighborhoods, etc. We have been looking at moving for quite some time and have been constantly looking for information about most everything. There are some things that you cannot really get a good feeling for in a short visit or in searching the internet.

I think the question about spiritually oriented people is a good question. People don't usually tell you about their spiritually during a casual visit like you would have visiting for a short time. This is not an easy subject for many to discuss anyway--especially with someone that they don't really know.

I can also state that it also isn't necessarily easy to search through forums either. If you don't happen to use the correct term you don't get what you look for. How many times have you searched for something on the internet that you know exists but can't find it?

Talking and asking questions like this is what can at least get you a kind of feel for some things. Yes, I completely agree that the questions like "Will I see guns" or "are there libraries in Tucson" are things that you would get instantly answered if you visit the city. And I also believe that you should visit the place that you want to move to before you actually make the decision to move. Anyone that doesn't is setting themselves up for a shock.

Just an example: When I got married to my wife (she is from Brazil) her friends asked her how she could move to the Chicago area because of all the gangsters and shootouts in the street. When I visited her the first time she told me that her mother didn't know what to cook because everyone told her that all Americans eat was pizza, hamburgers and fries.

Some people can have pre-conceived ideas about a city, regardless of how silly it is.

Old 02-28-2014, 04:46 PM

686 posts, read 898,586 times
N&1234,

My husband and I have spent quite a bit of time in Tucson, as we've considered a possible relocation, as well. We enjoy attending service at a place called The Center for Spiritual Living. Center for Spiritual Living Tucson | Providing spiritual tools to transform our personal lives and make the world a better place.

This is an all-inclusive 'new thought' community of people who draw inspiration from various wisdom teachings in a non-traditional setting. We have found the members there to be very welcoming and if/when you visit Tucson, you might want to start there. I'm certain you'll find like-minded individuals to connect with...

Old 03-02-2014, 05:31 PM

1,154 posts, read 2,223,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowcatcher View Post
Marcy, not trying to pick a fight. You misquoted me or misread what I said. I asked why people who know nothing about Tucson always ask, "Will I see guns?", "Are there any intellectually inclined people in Tucson?", "Are there libraries in Tucson?" "Who cleans up the horse poop on the streets?". These are not made up, these questions all come from here at one time or another. Sometimes I really feel that these questions are from people looking down their noses at us. And present a holier than thou attitude about their pending move here. I understand wanderlust. I have lived in six states and three countries. But really, do some research, just don't show up.
I think maybe you misunderstand the people that ask such questions. Sure, there may be some that are just trolling. But having lived in some awful places, I want to know if I am going to run into such things when I am considering visiting or moving to a new town. I've lived places where gun-totin' and anti-intellectual people are the norm (specifically in South Carolina), so I can understand some people's concerns. I guess they could be more tactful, but sometimes being blunt is the best way to find out.

Old 03-02-2014, 11:18 PM

22,355 posts, read 26,853,907 times
The desert itself, lends itself to spirituality. If you miss the spiritual messages of the desert, you've missed the show!

Some of our greatest religions originated in desert-like environments (Buddhism, Islam, Christianity), and yes, I know, spirituality and religion are many miles apart, but didn't most of these faiths start out as spiritual?

I, too, would be interested in spiritual groups with my planned relocation to Tucson. and I know they must be there, somewhere, perhaps in Meet-up com.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: